• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New favorite to be Head Coach

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't want to budge with Payton/2nd rounder? Fine.....who is next? I just heard that Anthony Lynn is getting an interview, and as sad as it is to say, it sounds more like something to accommodate the Rooney Rule. What if...that is the best we are gonna get, because as I said, there will be guys who will scoff at the Niners gig. Surely the brass knows they aren't a hot commodity, so they might feel they need to cover all the bases

Choice is Sean Payton and giving up a 2nd round pick or Anthony Lynn as the next HC. Who yah got? Anyone else can chime in as well.

Sean Payton/2nd rounder or say....Mike Shanahan?

Sean Payton/2nd rounder or Teryl Austin?

I won't lose any sleep over just one 2nd round pick. Hate to lose it but will accept it for Payton.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, interview with Shanahan on hold. Talks will continue over the phone. I was a big Shanahan fan going to back to his stint as 49ers OC back on the 1994 Super Bowl team. Wouldn't mind if he got the job either.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interviewing Mike Shanahan Wednesday

Nice! It's good the 49ers are on the ball. The sooner they hire a head coach, the more time he will have to evaluate the remaining coaches or to assemble his own coaching staff. It will also give him time to evaluate the players and work with Baalke with the upcoming draft.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't lose any sleep over just one 2nd round pick. Hate to lose it but will accept it for Payton.

To me...a second round pick for Sean Payton is a near no-brainer.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do sign Shanny, (imho a no brainer for York/Baalke) then the team basically gets back to respectability and legitimacy almost immediately, but there will still be some work to do..ie: draft, roster assessment, FA signings.....

Here are some of his highlights:

• Posted the most wins in National Football League history during a three-year period (46 in 1996–98).[22]
  • Won the most postseason games in history over a two-year period (seven, 1997–98).
  • Been undefeated and untied for three consecutive regular seasons (1996–98) at home, just the second team ever to be undefeated and untied at home in three consecutive years. The Miami Dolphins posted three consecutive seasons of untied undefeated home records from 1972 to 1974. Including playoff games, theDolphins had won 31 consecutive home games from 1971 to 1974. Oddly enough, in 1999 on the opening Monday Night Football game, the Miami Dolphins ended the defending Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos streak with a 38–21 win in Denver.
  • In 2004, he joined the exclusive club of head coaches to post 100 wins in his first 10 seasons with one club, finishing the campaign and decade tied for fourth on this list of 12 coaches, six of whom are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
  • Has the second most victories against the Raiders with a record of 21–7. Only Marty Schottenheimer has a better W–L record against the Raiders (27–6).
  • Joins Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick as the only six coaches to win back-to-back Super Bowls.
  • He is the second coach in history to win two Super Bowl titles in his first four years coaching a team (Shula did it first with the Miami Dolphins in 1972 and 1973).
  • Highest winning percentage in Denver history (.646) and most wins in Denver history (138).
  • Shanahan is among nine coaches in pro football history to post four wins in one postseason along with Tom Flores, Joe Gibbs, Brian Billick, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Tom Coughlin (twice) and Mike McCarthy and most recently, John Harbaugh.
  • The all-time high of 636 points in a season came from the 1994 Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers, for whom Shanahan was the offensive coordinator. This was eclipsed during the 2007 season when the New England Patriots scored 589 points in the regular season and 66 points in the postseason for a total of 655 points. Ironically, that record was again broken in the 2013-2014 season when Shanahan's former team, the Denver Broncos, scored 606 points in the regular season and 58 in the postseason for a total of 664 points.
  • During his NFL career, Shanahan has been a part of teams that have played in 10 Conference Championship Games, in addition to his three Super Bowl appearances, two with Denver and Super Bowl XXIX with San Francisco.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't want to budge with Payton/2nd rounder? Fine.....who is next? I just heard that Anthony Lynn is getting an interview, and as sad as it is to say, it sounds more like something to accommodate the Rooney Rule. What if...that is the best we are gonna get, because as I said, there will be guys who will scoff at the Niners gig. Surely the brass knows they aren't a hot commodity, so they might feel they need to cover all the bases

Choice is Sean Payton and giving up a 2nd round pick or Anthony Lynn as the next HC. Who yah got? Anyone else can chime in as well.

I'm not crazy at all about trading that high of a pick for Payton but I would take it over other most of the options maybe Shanahan over trading that pick for Payton I guess.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he chooses the 49ers, do you think the compensation would be a 2nd round pick? Hopefully it is not multiple picks.

It would be ok to give up multiple picks if they were mid to late picks

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anthony Lynn is just a Rooney Rule interview. They don't want to have their hands tied if they can pull the trigger on a Payton trade and if they can trade for Payton they don't need to wait for Hue.

The job isn't the biggest commodity, but at the end of the day it still has things going for it. A position coach isn't the floor. Mike Shanahan and Holmgren are the floor of the minimum we can do. Even probably Chip Kelly is there as the floor too.

At the end of the day, I'll go with Hue or Norv Turner as my plan B if Payton didn't work out.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Lynn is just a Rooney Rule interview. They don't want to have their hands tied if they can pull the trigger on a Payton trade and if they can trade for Payton they don't need to wait for Hue.

The job isn't the biggest commodity, but at the end of the day it still has things going for it. A position coach isn't the floor. Mike Shanahan and Holmgren are the floor of the minimum we can do. Even probably Chip Kelly is there as the floor too.

At the end of the day, I'll go with Hue or Norv Turner as my plan B if Payton didn't work out.

I am okay with Hue but not Norv Turner. I like Norv Turner as an OC but he just seems to lack something as an HC. Not sure what it is. Maybe to low key a personality.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do sign Shanny, (imho a no brainer for York/Baalke) then the team basically gets back to respectability and legitimacy almost immediately, but there will still be some work to do..ie: draft, roster assessment, FA signings.....

Here are some of his highlights:

• Posted the most wins in National Football League history during a three-year period (46 in 1996–98).[22]
  • Won the most postseason games in history over a two-year period (seven, 1997–98).
  • Been undefeated and untied for three consecutive regular seasons (1996–98) at home, just the second team ever to be undefeated and untied at home in three consecutive years. The Miami Dolphins posted three consecutive seasons of untied undefeated home records from 1972 to 1974. Including playoff games, theDolphins had won 31 consecutive home games from 1971 to 1974. Oddly enough, in 1999 on the opening Monday Night Football game, the Miami Dolphins ended the defending Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos streak with a 38–21 win in Denver.
  • In 2004, he joined the exclusive club of head coaches to post 100 wins in his first 10 seasons with one club, finishing the campaign and decade tied for fourth on this list of 12 coaches, six of whom are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
  • Has the second most victories against the Raiders with a record of 21–7. Only Marty Schottenheimer has a better W–L record against the Raiders (27–6).
  • Joins Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick as the only six coaches to win back-to-back Super Bowls.
  • He is the second coach in history to win two Super Bowl titles in his first four years coaching a team (Shula did it first with the Miami Dolphins in 1972 and 1973).
  • Highest winning percentage in Denver history (.646) and most wins in Denver history (138).
  • Shanahan is among nine coaches in pro football history to post four wins in one postseason along with Tom Flores, Joe Gibbs, Brian Billick, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Tom Coughlin (twice) and Mike McCarthy and most recently, John Harbaugh.
  • The all-time high of 636 points in a season came from the 1994 Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers, for whom Shanahan was the offensive coordinator. This was eclipsed during the 2007 season when the New England Patriots scored 589 points in the regular season and 66 points in the postseason for a total of 655 points. Ironically, that record was again broken in the 2013-2014 season when Shanahan's former team, the Denver Broncos, scored 606 points in the regular season and 58 in the postseason for a total of 664 points.
  • During his NFL career, Shanahan has been a part of teams that have played in 10 Conference Championship Games, in addition to his three Super Bowl appearances, two with Denver and Super Bowl XXIX with San Francisco.

That 1994 offense just exploded and Shanahan did a great job with Steve Young. Really brought him up another level.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No interviews setup for Holmgren yet. Doesn't look like he is in the plans so far.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am okay with Hue but not Norv Turner. I like Norv Turner as an OC but he just seems to lack something as an HC. Not sure what it is. Maybe to low key a personality.

He's definitely low key, but I think that's what our QB's need. Whether we draft a guy or go with Gabbert and Kap again we need someone to build them from the ground up and Norv can do that. His system is very simple to learn, but it's a good one and he can teach which fits with our offense probably going younger. I don't know how many of the other realistic guys we might be able to get (I'm not throwing in Gruden, etc) could do the same. Shanny might, but after watching the RG3 train wreck I'd put him as my last option over any position coach.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do a 3rd.

I would do a 2nd for Payton because he is a difference maker. He just needs to hire a good DC. At least the Niners have more talent on the defensive side.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the rumor. Hate to lose a 2nd rounder but not going to cry over it. No way to multiple high level picks though.
It would be ok to give up multiple picks if they were mid to late picks

I would give a 3rd this year and maybe a 4th next year if the Saints want multiple picks. Otherwise a 2nd this year would be okay. Hate to part with it since the Niners are picking high and maybe 5th in the 2nd round.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would swap 2nd rd picks with the saints and then throw in a 4th and 6th.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do a 2nd for Payton because he is a difference maker. He just needs to hire a good DC. At least the Niners have more talent on the defensive side.
Yep. Just do the 2nd for a good coach. Baalke will fuck up that pick anyway.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Just do the 2nd for a good coach. Baalke will fuck up that pick anyway.

But Darken, "I believe in Trent Baalke. He's built championship rosters," according to Jed Boy Wonder.:bullshit:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope we land the right guy. Payton would be a home run, Jackson would be ok.
A lot of arrows point to Payton coming to SF. i think the only thing holding it back is the 2nd rd pick and if Baalke will give some power to Payton. Payton wants to be by his daughter he is from San Mateo, proven head coach, offensive minded coach, and a coach that knows QBs. He fits everything the 49ers are looking for. He is a good leader and was a big part of helping that area out when Katrina hit.