• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New favorite to be Head Coach

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New HC will make the hires on the coaching staff and will have input for the roster. Final say will be Baalke. York said he will just over see everything and let Baalke do his job. He did say that they still have to be right fits for the 49ers but overall will step away from making decisions. York also said the HC will decide who the QB will be. They asked him about Kap and he said the HC and baalke will make those decisions.

This is how its suppose to be. Im happy to see york admit he was wrong lets just hope he stays away from this like he said he will.

York said, "We haven't released any of the other coaches on staff. When the new HC comes in, he will have to evaluate everybody because it's hard to put together a staff, and there are some really good coaches on this staff."

I think one needs to read between the lines a bit on that answer. To me, it seems like York is going to tell whoever comes in who his coaching staff is going to be. You know, kind of exactly like he did last year. My biggest gripe with everything York said today is that his actions don't match his words. Never have.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy for Jackson to get another opportunity to possibly become a head coach.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just get to the bottom line, what would you give up to obtain Sean Payton?

Ian Rappaport is reporting it might take a 2nd rounder for Payton. All things considered, I would do that.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not giving up a 1st or 2nd for Payton. Especially with how high we pick a 2 is almost a 1st anyway. I'm especially not paying those picks when rumors were coming out earlier in the season Payton was going to be let go anyway. All of this will depend on what Payton wants anyway and he'll be able to dictate how this goes.

If he really wants to come to SF and be closer to his daughter like reported, he can easily tell Saints management he doesn't want to be there and work out a lower draft pick as comp. They'll do it as they don't want a coach who doesn't want to be there. If Payton doesn't want to come to SF then we won't be trading for him anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Payton to be our HC over anyone else available, but not at that high a price..... Of course it may not matter if Baalke screws up another draft, but that's another story.

I think you have to also look at it with another perspective......OK...price is too high for Payton, on to the next candidate. Do you really believe there is a lineup of guys who can make this franchise look respectable with just his presence? Sean Payton does that instantly. We are so far down the gutter as far as credibility that we may just have to bite the bullet now, to just get back to par.

Perhaps Hue Jackson gives us a look? Maybe. Think Gase is gonna do another interview, based on the rumours of last year? I doubt it. After that, it's not looking good....and we end up with another Tomsula-type guy. Payton for a second is a dream scenario compared to that.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy for Jackson to get another opportunity to possibly become a head coach.

Hue is a good coach. Word this morning from Ian Rappaport is Payton is down to choosing between the Saints and 49ers.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as we don't have to give up anything higher then a fourth i am good with it. He needs to get a solid defensive coordinator though.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the prospect of Jackson...he's worked his way to earn a HC position and his strength is where a huge amount of our weakness lies. I love me some Payton, but anything higher than a 4th for the guy doesn't work for me due to how high our 2nd is...to get back to that position we'd have to give up the lions share of our 12 picks...and we need those babies.

I'm also torn a bit between the two because we have so much cap space to use and my belief is that Payton might be more of a lure for free agents to jump on board.

All that said...there is more than likely a lot of time before everything around the league hits the ground in the coaching world...there are a lot of HC openings at the moment and a few candidates that are worthy.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hue is a good coach. Word this morning from Ian Rappaport is Payton is down to choosing between the Saints and 49ers.

If he chooses the 49ers, do you think the compensation would be a 2nd round pick? Hopefully it is not multiple picks.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to also look at it with another perspective......OK...price is too high for Payton, on to the next candidate. Do you really believe there is a lineup of guys who can make this franchise look respectable with just his presence? Sean Payton does that instantly. We are so far down the gutter as far as credibility that we may just have to bite the bullet now, to just get back to par.

Perhaps Hue Jackson gives us a look? Maybe. Think Gase is gonna do another interview, based on the rumours of last year? I doubt it. After that, it's not looking good....and we end up with another Tomsula-type guy. Payton for a second is a dream scenario compared to that.

I see your point and agree Payton is the top choice. Honestly, I don't know who I would prefer for a 2nd choice as it just burns me to hire a Raider reject (Hue). I guess my point is that there are many ways to play with the compensation and we shouldn't have to pay a 2nd rounder if the negotiating is handled right.

If we paid a 2nd rounder for Payton, I wouldn't like it at all and think Baalke is even more of an idiot, but I would be fine with our coach and look to the future.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of you people who are hesitant on giving up a higher draft pick for Payton need to step back and look at the reality.

The reality is, this franchise is considered by most to be a laughingstock around the NFL. There are several names being floated around as possible HC's all over the league, and I guarantee you that most will not really look our way because of the culture and reputation the 49ers are known for currently. The situation now, is much worse than before we hired Harbaugh...and I said then we needed a 'rock star' guy to salvage the ship.

If...and I mean IF someone with the cache of Sean Payton becomes available (and I'm still not quite believing it) then the Niners really should make a major push to get him. We aren't in a position to dictate terms to many people. We can't just turn people around to the trophy case and say 'tradition!' They simply respond with...'I heard what happened with Adam Gase last year' (assuming the story is true) and walk out the door. Payton would be a 'get-out-of-jail-free' card, when we probably should serve a full penalty, ie years more of Tomsulas and Singletarys. If giving up a higher pick is SF's way out of the gutter in the minds of the NFL, then we might have to pay that penalty, and move on.

Of course...if the Saints start demanding two 1st rounders and such, well.....

I would reluctantly approve of a 2nd round pick for Payton. Nothing higher though.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point and agree Payton is the top choice. Honestly, I don't know who I would prefer for a 2nd choice as it just burns me to hire a Raider reject (Hue). I guess my point is that there are many ways to play with the compensation and we shouldn't have to pay a 2nd rounder if the negotiating is handled right.

If we paid a 2nd rounder for Payton, I wouldn't like it at all and think Baalke is even more of an idiot, but I would be fine with our coach and look to the future.

In defense of Hue, he was 8-8 under Al Davis regime. That was quite an accomplishment under the environment that existed there at the time. I also look at how much better Dalton has looked this year. Some people wanted to run him out of town last year and I can't remember him looking any better under HJ.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't want to budge with Payton/2nd rounder? Fine.....who is next? I just heard that Anthony Lynn is getting an interview, and as sad as it is to say, it sounds more like something to accommodate the Rooney Rule. What if...that is the best we are gonna get, because as I said, there will be guys who will scoff at the Niners gig. Surely the brass knows they aren't a hot commodity, so they might feel they need to cover all the bases

Choice is Sean Payton and giving up a 2nd round pick or Anthony Lynn as the next HC. Who yah got? Anyone else can chime in as well.

Sean Payton/2nd rounder or say....Mike Shanahan?

Sean Payton/2nd rounder or Teryl Austin?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he chooses the 49ers, do you think the compensation would be a 2nd round pick? Hopefully it is not multiple picks.

That is the rumor. Hate to lose a 2nd rounder but not going to cry over it. No way to multiple high level picks though.