• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New favorite to be Head Coach

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami just landed Gase. Most knew that.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clear from the beginning they want a coach with an offensive background. That makes sense given where they at with a possible new QB and state of the offense. Love Smith is a defensive coach

I'll be very curious to see what they do at QB. Kaepernick's injuries might force their hand, and obviously Gabbert is not the answer. Drafting at 7, and with Baalke in charge of personnel (until proven otherwise), I don't see us with an improved option next year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally.....I think Kelly is best suited to being a college coach but some team will take a chance on him.....most likely a team with a mobile QB or one that fits Kelly's offense. He can always go back to college later to finish out his coaching career.

No to Kelly for sure. I am concerned about his judgement with personnel after what happened in Philly. Also it seems he has issues communicating/dealing with players. I also don't care for that offense he runs. I agree that he is better suited for college. I think he got an interview because he has is fairly close to Tom Gamble in our FO.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to Kelly for sure. I am concerned about his judgement with personnel after what happened in Philly. Also it seems he has issues communicating/dealing with players. I also don't care for that offense he runs. I agree that he is better suited for college. I think he got an interview because he has is fairly close to Tom Gamble in our FO.

He's a coach, not a dual coach/GM.....very few can handle those 2 roles.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke runs the draft regarless of who the HC is so expect for WTF moments.

A big ???? mark here. If Baalke is not F.O.S., he claims in a recent interview that he is going to work with the new HC on drafting/personnel issues. I do believe Harbaugh had input because of some of the choices that were made were clearly Harbaugh guys. Maybe if Hue is the guy that will happen since supposedly they have a good relationship. Baalke really needs help evaluating offensive players.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clear from the beginning they want a coach with an offensive background. That makes sense given where they at with a possible new QB and state of the offense. Love Smith is a defensive coach

Lovie Smith can bring a legitimate staff. A RB's coach can't. Even if it's just to satisfy the Rooney Rule, I would still seek to interview the more qualified candidate first. That hasn't exactly been Baalke or Jed's MO, though.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a coach, not a dual coach/GM.....very few can handle those 2 roles.

I am even concerned about who he decides to start versus not start after seeing what happened in Philly. That was a big issue in SF this year under Tomsula, particularly the oline where Tomsula made things worse by not making changes and starting the right people.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of liked Shanny to Miami on a 3 year deal with a team option for a 4th.

I am okay with Shanny in SF too. More so than Holmgren who I think is about 5 years older that Shanahan and out of the league longer.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the interview looks certain but what comes of it we can't say for sure yet. He is interviewing with the 49ers and the Browns.

The Browns going full tilt with analytics might be a massive turnoff for coaching candidates. I find it interesting that the teams that rely most heavily on analytics are some of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL. My inclination is to emulate a team that wins, like New England, Pittsburgh or even Seattle, not try to reinvent the wheel with an analytics department that tries to put their stamp on game day decisions to justify their positions.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns going full tilt with analytics might be a massive turnoff for coaching candidates. I find it interesting that the teams that rely most heavily on analytics are some of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL. My inclination is to emulate a team that wins, like New England, Pittsburgh or even Seattle, not try to reinvent the wheel with an analytics department that tries to put their stamp on game day decisions to justify their positions.

SF was big on analytics too which I absolutely hate. They actually have an analytics dept. This was all Marathe's idea so I hope that crap all left with him.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am okay with Shanny in SF too. More so than Holmgren who I think is about 5 years older that Shanahan and out of the league longer.

Holmgren wants back in? Wasn't aware of this.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet it does for Harbaugh, Carrol, and Belichick?
Thing about his stay at Miami. Who was their QB?
Year 1 he had Gus Frerotte. Year 2 they traded for Daunta Culpepper instead of signing Drew Brees. Imagine how many things would have changed had the Dolphins been smart enough to take Brees. Saban might have 3+ Super Bowl titles and Bama still searching for a head coach to resurrect their program.

Harbaugh, Carroll and Belichick aren't the same kind of coach as Nick Saban. The first three are guys whose players run through walls for. Saban's players started tuning him out during the first mini-camp.

Saban might take another turn in the NFL, but I don't see it being any different than his first one, and if the QB situation in Miami was what kept him from succeeding, how on Earth will he be successful here?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmgren wants back in? Wasn't aware of this.

He is practically begging for the 49er job. He wanted it last year and they basically said no. This year Tomsula wasn't even fired yet, and several days before Tomsula got fired word came out that Holmgren was interested in the position. Holmgren must have known what was about to happen and wasted no time trying to get his name in the hat. I think his age is a deterrent

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is practically begging for the 49er job. He wanted it last year and they basically said no. This year Tomsula wasn't even fired yet, and several days before Tomsula got fired word came out that Holmgren was interested in the position. Holmgren must have known what was about to happen and wasted no time trying to get his name in the hat. I think his age is a deterrent

Hmmmm.....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovie Smith can bring a legitimate staff. A RB's coach can't. Even if it's just to satisfy the Rooney Rule, I would still seek to interview the more qualified candidate first. That hasn't exactly been Baalke or Jed's MO, though.

I might be mistaken but the interview with Lynn was already in the works before Lovie Smith was even fired. Lynn isn't going to get it and they really want an offensive minded coach.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it's either Gabbert or Kaep? Or the 49ers draft a QB?

Deferring to you guys who actually follow the team closely. I don't follow them as intently as the team currently across the bay....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it's either Gabbert or Kaep? Or the 49ers draft a QB?

Deferring to you guys who actually follow the team closely. I don't follow them as intently as the team currently across the bay....

I think they are definitely going to draft one, the question is where. One source said Baalke is not going to reach into the 1st round for Goff or Lynch. Wouldn't mind seeing Goff go in the 1st round but not wouldn't object to the 49ers passing on any other QB in the 1st round. There aren't any particularly strong prospects in this draft. Goff seems like the best of the bunch to me. Gabbert or Kaep, IDK. It will have to do with who is hired and what his thinking is.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be very curious to see what they do at QB. Kaepernick's injuries might force their hand, and obviously Gabbert is not the answer. Drafting at 7, and with Baalke in charge of personnel (until proven otherwise), I don't see us with an improved option next year.
If we take Jackson I have a feeling Jackson will have say at QB.