• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Never too Early to Talk Draft

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could deal with this to start out the 2023 draft. I might be inclined to a different CB, but it surely wouldn't be bad.

On Thursday, The 33rd Team got in on the action. If you’re not familiar with The 33rd Team, it’s a collection of current and former NFL players (including Lions’ Amon-Ra St. Brown), executives, coaches, and broadcasters that have teamed up to bring a different perspective on how to cover the NFL.

For their draft coverage, T.J. McCreight—former Player Personnel Executive for the Philadelphia Eagles and director of college scouting for the Indianapolis Colts—leads a group of former NFL scouts to produce their first mock draft of the season.

Let’s set the table for the Detroit Lions first pick. Alabama quarterback Bryce Young went off the board first to Houston, followed by Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter to the Seahawks, and the Bears addressed their offensive line by taking Ohio State left tackle Paris Johnson. For those who have been following along with this year's draft coverage, it should be fairly obvious who the Lions were paired with.

Round 1, pick 4 (via Rams): Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama

Let’s go right to The 33rd Team for their reasonings for the pick:

“The opportunity to pair Anderson with Aidan Hutchinson is too good to pass up. The Lions need help in the secondary, but there isn’t a corner or safety who merits a pick this high. This is truly a best-available-player pick.

If the Lions were fortunate enough to add Anderson, they would need to make a decision on how to adjust their defensive front. Their simplest option would be to shift Hutchinson back to closed end, then insert Anderson at the open spot, but that would minimize Hutchinson’s impact. Their second option would be to shift the front into a more modern Fangio-style front, where they deploy two down defensive lineman and stand up their edge rushers allowing them to attack from wide angles.

With the Lions’ next pick, The 33rd Team has Detroit selecting...

Round 1, pick 15: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

Let’s let The 33rd Team explain their reasonings:

“The Lions continue to load up on defense. Gonzalez has length, speed and production. He needs to finish plays at the catch point more consistently, but he has all the tools NFL teams are looking for.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Holmes were to get lucky and Anderson fell into his lap, then you simply revert to a wide 7/9 front with your Edge players. Hutch and Anderson both should benefit more from that type of alignment.

You could employ some base 3-4 fronts at times with their current personnel.

It would also be a benefit to the future of James Houston.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could deal with this to start out the 2023 draft. I might be inclined to a different CB, but it surely wouldn't be bad.

On Thursday, The 33rd Team got in on the action. If you’re not familiar with The 33rd Team, it’s a collection of current and former NFL players (including Lions’ Amon-Ra St. Brown), executives, coaches, and broadcasters that have teamed up to bring a different perspective on how to cover the NFL.

For their draft coverage, T.J. McCreight—former Player Personnel Executive for the Philadelphia Eagles and director of college scouting for the Indianapolis Colts—leads a group of former NFL scouts to produce their first mock draft of the season.

Let’s set the table for the Detroit Lions first pick. Alabama quarterback Bryce Young went off the board first to Houston, followed by Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter to the Seahawks, and the Bears addressed their offensive line by taking Ohio State left tackle Paris Johnson. For those who have been following along with this year's draft coverage, it should be fairly obvious who the Lions were paired with.

Round 1, pick 4 (via Rams): Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama

Let’s go right to The 33rd Team for their reasonings for the pick:

If the Lions were fortunate enough to add Anderson, they would need to make a decision on how to adjust their defensive front. Their simplest option would be to shift Hutchinson back to closed end, then insert Anderson at the open spot, but that would minimize Hutchinson’s impact. Their second option would be to shift the front into a more modern Fangio-style front, where they deploy two down defensive lineman and stand up their edge rushers allowing them to attack from wide angles.

With the Lions’ next pick, The 33rd Team has Detroit selecting...

Round 1, pick 15: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

Let’s let The 33rd Team explain their reasonings:
I would rather have Ringo at 15 or just draft Porter at 4 if Carter is gone.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1671550478252.png

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elguapo,

Any draft that includes Dalton Kincaid is a winner. I would take him in Rd 2 or late Rd 1.

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this one is interesting. missed out on any secondary, but my goodness our D-line!!!
1671677807130.png

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1671678110510.png

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1671678575081.png

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This clip is so much better when you expand it - lower right-hand corner - I could replay this clip 100x

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama players S Jordan Battle and ILB Henry To'o To'o will disappoint at the NFL level.

Will Anderson and Brian Branch are the only worthy players to draft on the defense side of the ball.
Maybe a late round pick 6th - UDFA for DJ Dale or Byron Young

Reactions: Rob

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama players S Jordan Battle and ILB Henry To'o To'o will disappoint at the NFL level.

Will Anderson and Brian Branch are the only worthy players to draft on the defense side of the ball.
Maybe a late round pick 6th - UDFA for DJ Dale or Byron Young
alabama fans cant wait for branch to leave. I have a ton of AL fan friends down here and they think he will be a bust. he gets beat quite a bit

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1672390769933.png

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
alabama fans cant wait for branch to leave

Certainly not this Bama fan nor many other Bama fans. It must be only those who live in Georgia wanting, wishing, hoping for Branch's departure.

He's about as close to a Minkah Fitzpatrick clone as you can get. Almost, but not quite there, yet.

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly not this Bama fan nor many other Bama fans. It must be only those who live in Georgia wanting, wishing, hoping for Branch's departure.

He's about as close to a Minkah Fitzpatrick clone as you can get. Almost, but not quite there, yet.
If they are wrong, then so be it. I just want a bone crushing defense. Houston is looking like an absolute steal. So a CB and S, 1 linebacker and an end. Maybe even a stud DL if we can get 1 at right spot. Another guard/center as backup/insurance. Kincaid if possible and a quick twitch wide receiver in slot

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are wrong, then so be it. I just want a bone crushing defense. Houston is looking like an absolute steal. So a CB and S, 1 linebacker and an end. Maybe even a stud DL if we can get 1 at right spot. Another guard/center as backup/insurance. Kincaid if possible and a quick twitch wide receiver in slot
We dont really need a safety early unless Elliot leaves. We need CBs in the worst way. Okudah is decent most of the time. Everyone else is not. The rest for sure. We will need a legit backup QB too as this team will most likely be a playoff team going forward.

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont really need a safety early unless Elliot leaves. We need CBs in the worst way. Okudah is decent most of the time. Everyone else is not. The rest for sure. We will need a legit backup QB too as this team will most likely be a playoff team going forward.
Not sure we could pull off Porter and a a stud edge or LB then Witherspoon in 2nd, but would be nice

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure we could pull off Porter and a a stud edge or LB then Witherspoon in 2nd, but would be nice
Witherspoon is already one of the major risers in the rankings. He will probably end up in the discussion for best CB in the draft and go round 1 I think.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I friggen love this draft. Simpson and Campbell means we go from worst coverage LB's in the league to good coverage. Tyree Wilson is not a huge need, but he and Paschall can move in on pass rush downs, I think he adds a lof of versatility. Torrence is the final piece of the oline. I would have preferred Ika to Kancey to fit the bigger need, but he was gone. Mayer I drafted solely because he dropped an entire round and I had too. The rest is all flyers on long term potential
1672781150250.png

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to all trade backs, but then Carter fell to 6. Don't love Kincaid at 59, Kuithe is the better Ute te and he will got way late in the draft. Still got the dual coverage LB's. Plus I picked a kicker because I want new Jason Hanson.
1672782040997.png