• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Never too Early to Talk Draft

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hooker is still on pace to go round 2, and I am not sure I love that early for the Lions. If Goff keeps playing like he is now Hooker won't see the field until he is 28/29.

He very well could be drafted during round 2, but I sure as hell hope Holmes wouldn't do that. I'm not enamored with the idea should Holmes draft Hooker, but I wouldn't completely hate it either unless it in fact was a 2nd round pick.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of this year's draft prospects at QB will be 23 years old, if not older, by the time the 2023 season begins. I believe BYU QB, Jaren Hall, turns 25 this March. Clayton Tune is 23 years old; Tyson Bagent is 23 years old; Jake Haener turns 23 this March, Malik Cunningham turns 25 this coming October.

And then look at CFB QB's who are returning for another year, Bo Nix, Sam Hartman, Spencer Rattler, Spencer Sanders. We'll probably see more of this in the future with players due to NIL monies received and players trying to improve their draft position - some unwarranted.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone to keep on eye throughout the pre-draft process regarding the O-Line.

Nick Broeker: Guard, Ole Miss

The Lions offensive line was strong last season, but there are a lot of questions about what this team is going to do at right guard. Will Evan Brown stick around? Will Halapoulivaati Vaitai be able to come back healthy and ready to go or will he be a cap casualty? What the Lions should really do is find their next option there, even if he’s just a depth guy in 2023.

Ole Miss’s Nick Broeker can be that guy. The thing I like the most about Broeker is that he’s a flat-out athlete. The guy ran a 4.90 coming into college, an impressive mark for a 315-pound lineman. He played multiple sports in high school and his athleticism has also allowed him to play multiple positions on the field.

Technique and polish are important—and something Broeker needs to work on—but they can be taught. Athleticism is something that makes you a threat if you walk through the door with it. Broeker is currently slated to go on Day 3.

CAREER: Three-year starter on the left side of the Ole Miss offensive line ... Appeared in 48 career contests as a Rebel, not missing one game in his four years in Oxford ... Started 23 career games at left tackle and 13 at left guard

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB and CB.

I think one of the quotes that Brad Holmes stated in his end of the year presser is that he doesn't want to hinder the progress to develop these younger players. It kind of made me think he may not venture into the CB FA market with a James Bradberry type to shore up the defensive secondary.

There are definitely other CB's that appear to be intriguing in this draft outside of Gonzalez, Cam Smith, Witherspoon, Porter Jr., Ringo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm extremely interested in Washington State LB Henley. The problem I have is that he's new to the LB position and we have seen how that's translated so far with Derrick Barnes.

He's a former WR and DB. He should be aware of routes and coverages being both former WR and DB.

He's been looking really good at the Senior Bowl practices, but I still have reservations about his lack of time spent at the ILB and you can include Drew Sanders in that same conversation. Sanders has a 19% missed tackle rate and he was an edge rushing LB at Bama before transferring to Arkansas. Sanders has closing speed and some decent quality in coverage abilities, however, he lacks instincts in reading keys all too often.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why Jack Campbell gets so little love in pre draft cycles. Ite zone coverage and great tackling. He looks like the next in line for having all that college production ignored because he lacks a few physical traits. He is going to end up a steal.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Witherspoon is most likely going to be a top 10 pick at this point.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why Jack Campbell gets so little love in pre draft cycles. Ite zone coverage and great tackling. He looks like the next in line for having all that college production ignored because he lacks a few physical traits. He is going to end up a steal.

The only two areas I see from his play that I question are: he's around the ball a lot but not actually in on the play and he's a little stiff to uncoil quicker to get to the play. He's been a solid Mike LB and descending boards is fine with me. Maybe he makes it to our 3rd round pick.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Witherspoon is most likely going to be a top 10 pick at this point.

I'd like to see the Panther's trade their No.9 and 2nd round 2023 picks for our No.6 and that selection be Witherspoon. The biggest knock on him is his size but his on-field demeanor surely fits what the Lions are looking for.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pick 6: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Here’s Miller’s reasoning for his projection:

“The top-ranked cornerback in the class goes to the Lions, and Witherspoon is exactly what the team needs as a physical, sticky cover man with instincts and ball skills. He is 6-1 and only 180 pounds, but he plays much bigger and is the best open-field tackler among this group of corners. Plus, he allowed just two completions of over 20 yards all season to go with his three interceptions. The Lions are another team that could trade back with a quarterback-needy club, but the risk there is sliding back too far and missing out on the top cornerback in the class after allowing a league-high 6.2 yards per play in 2022. If the front office and coaching staff are aligned on Jared Goff continuing as the signal-caller, this is the move to best improve the team.”
The Witherspoon hype continues to grow and more and more draft analysts, like Miller, are projecting him as the top corner in the class. And Miller is right, Witherspoon is exactly the type of corner that would fit in the Lions' scheme and locker room.

Pick 18: Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa

Let’s go back to Miller for his logic:

“After selecting the best cornerback in the draft at No. 6 (Devon Witherspoon), the Lions are back on the clock and look to double-down on defense. Van Ness is a raw pass-rusher after playing sparingly at Iowa, but he performed well enough to notch 6.5 sacks in 2022 and seven in 2021. The 6-5, 270-pound defensive end has shades of Trey Hendrickson to his game, which is why he’s seen as a potential first-rounder despite not starting for the Hawkeyes. The Lions hit pay dirt with Aidan Hutchinson and have a very good situational pass-rusher in fellow rookie James Houston. So Van Ness could round out the defensive line group with power, length and an ability against the run that’s needed opposite Hutchinson.”
Van Ness has slowly been drawing more attention and has shown up in our mock draft roundup series over the last couple of weeks. He’s an ideal closed end in the Lions scheme, would be a perfect replacement for John Cominsky, and would rotate with Josh Paschal opposite Hutchinson.

Pick 48: Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa

Once again, here’s Miller:

“The Lions traded T.J. Hockenson to the Vikings in November and can add his replacement with the surprising availability of LaPorta at this spot. He is a fantastic move blocker and a stellar receiver over the middle, and he has enough after-the-catch ability to project as a starter. LaPorta had just five touchdowns in college, but like his NFL comparison Dawson Knox, he looks to be a better pro than college player.”

Miller sticks with offense for his final Lions pick.

Pick 55: Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

Here’s Miller’s explanation:

“The running back room in Detroit is highly dependent on Jamaal Williams, who is hitting free agency as he turns 28. Williams might be back on a short-term deal, but D’Andre Swift hasn’t developed into a true RB1 candidate. Gibbs, a fantastic receiver out of the backfield and a slashing runner, was compared to Alvin Kamara by one scout I talked to recently, though I see more Tony Pollard in him.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^^

Love the Witherspoon pick but the value with the rest of them is highly questionable. Hell, Van Ness wasn't even a starter for the Hawkeyes, but I do like the possibility of growth potential in him. It's simply too high of draft slot for him.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions will have 3 Edge Rusher's/DE's coming up on expiring contracts for the 2023 season: Romeo Okwara, Charles Harris and Julian Okwara.

If Homes re-signs Cominsky then you have him and Paschal for the "Big" closed End position. I think we need another Edge player that has similar superior bend like James Houston to rotate with him and someone comparable to Hutch and his play style.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^^

Love the Witherspoon pick but the value with the rest of them is highly questionable. Hell, Van Ness wasn't even a starter for the Hawkeyes, but I do like the possibility of growth potential in him. It's simply too high of draft slot for him.
Van Ness is going to be this years version of Travon Walker, maybe not that he will go first, but that his lack of playing time will be explained away while he moves of the board for his athleticism.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Ness is going to be this years version of Travon Walker, maybe not that he will go first, but that his lack of playing time will be explained away while he moves of the board for his athleticism.

He's stiff in his core and upper torso. Maybe he tests well. What I've seen from his clips doesn't scream 1st round pick and the same goes for Bresee even though the latter is a DT. The media analysts are hyping these players. Bresee sure as hell isn't a top 10, top 15, top 20 talent from my viewpoint and not even a 1st round talent other than he rated highest DT coming out of High School.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year's class of 3-tech DT is once again thin just like the previous two years. Hell, the best 3-tech - after Carter - may very well be @Mebert guy in Calijah Kancey.

I simply don't see a player at the 3-tech position who screams 1st round or even top 50 other than Carter. I still have many questions regarding Jalen Carter and his "love of football". I have no concerns regarding his physical traits. He was completely gassed in that Ohio State game after having 3 weeks off between SEC CG and that semi-final game and it showed on film.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting takes by Walter Football.

In surveying team sources, here is a list of Senior Bowl players who have helped themselves with a good week of practice:

• USC cornerback Mekhi Blackmon
  • Michigan center Olusegun Oluwatimi
  • Minnesota center John Michael Schmitz
  • Tennessee offensive tackle Darnell Wright
  • Iowa State defensive end Will McDonald IV
  • Illinois safety Sydney Brown
  • Oregon State tight end Luke Musgrave
  • Ole Miss wide receiver Jonathan Mingo