• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA to allow players to profit on their likeness, no later than 2021

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is exactly why he brought up 03 and 04. It was the AP poll. One of the polls used by the computer to put teams in the MNC during the BCS era. Not some irrelevant sports writer opinion poll. Perhaps you should learn the difference.

I don't think I have had any qualms with you, so allow me to explain my position in a manner that is not as confrontational as we are getting. IMHO it matters less to me to what a system is compared to is the system being followed. Before the BCS, polls crowned a champion. We have had dozens of polls used to pick multiple champs in the same season. For the most part, I do not dispute anyone claiming a natty based on contemporaneous pre BCS era polls, even if I disagree with the poll.

That ended with the BCS because opinion was being factored out in lieu of a computer/poll mix, or so the theory went. At the point of the first year of BCS, the BCSCG decided the champ, not the polls. It was at least better than Bowl tie ins and the eye test(polls) on teams that did not play one another. Once the BCS was in place, IMHO that is the decider of champions. The AP was voluntarily a part of and had say in, what pitted LSU and Oklahoma. Every player, coach, AD and conference … along with the AP … knew how the natty would be decided and agreed that the BCS was the system that selected the MNC.

When I say that the AP was irrelevant with their naming of USC as MNC over the BCS champs, it is not because the AP is some random group devoid of skills and discernment but rather because they agreed to be a large part of the BCS to help determine the BCSCG matchup and then refused to abide by the outcome. I also think that USC could have beaten both LSU and Oklahoma but that is irrelevant too. We had a process for picking the MNC and when that process played out USC was not even in the CG, much less the champion of it.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing with the worst team in the game stopped being a challenge for me personally and it sounds like OD as well. That’s why I got angry I couldn’t create any more teams online or download any for that matter. For me to make my team terrible I had to individually edit some 75 players which took me an hour. It was seriously dull and miserable. Then it was all for nothing because their info was too good and I ended up being able to snag 4 and 5 start recruits like they were nothing including 4 ‘athletes’ who were able to be plugged in to my most desperate positions. Just isn’t challenging.

yeah recruiting in the game is so weird to me.

I only did the worst team (Akron) once. Never played another season after that.

I did do an online season with a group of like 10 people. It was fun for the first 5 or 6 weeks, but then it became too hard to schedule times to play each other since some people picked teams in the same conference or who had noncon games with them. But that was a really cool feature, I thought.

Mostly, I just focused my differing dynasties on changing the conference alignments a lot. The game is really easy though, much easier than past games in my opinion. Offense is OP in 2014 version.

Two more things to add to the next game lol

1. Allow me to add in teams and not just sub-out.
2. Allow me to do that AFTER I have started a dynasty. I got so frustrated one time because I subbed a team in by mistake, started the dynasty and didn't catch the error until I played said team... finished the season and tried to swap it but it wouldn't allow it.

One more thing... @theboardref, @OregonDucks - have you guys ever legally blocked a kick? Punt, field goal, extra point? I have probably played like 30 (guesstimate, probably more) seasons and I have NEVER ONCE blocked a kick in the 2014 game. I have seen teams miss, sure, but never outright blocked.

And that is really disappointing because the most fun game I had on these NCAA games was a game on the road against Va Tech where I blocked a kick in double overtime to win... I think it was the 2012 version, but I honestly can't remember.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah recruiting in the game is so weird to me.

I only did the worst team (Akron) once. Never played another season after that.

I did do an online season with a group of like 10 people. It was fun for the first 5 or 6 weeks, but then it became too hard to schedule times to play each other since some people picked teams in the same conference or who had noncon games with them. But that was a really cool feature, I thought.

Mostly, I just focused my differing dynasties on changing the conference alignments a lot. The game is really easy though, much easier than past games in my opinion. Offense is OP in 2014 version.

Two more things to add to the next game lol

1. Allow me to add in teams and not just sub-out.
2. Allow me to do that AFTER I have started a dynasty. I got so frustrated one time because I subbed a team in by mistake, started the dynasty and didn't catch the error until I played said team... finished the season and tried to swap it but it wouldn't allow it.

One more thing... @theboardref, @OregonDucks - have you guys ever legally blocked a kick? Punt, field goal, extra point? I have probably played like 30 (guesstimate, probably more) seasons and I have NEVER ONCE blocked a kick in the 2014 game. I have seen teams miss, sure, but never outright blocked.

And that is really disappointing because the most fun game I had on these NCAA games was a game on the road against Va Tech where I blocked a kick in double overtime to win... I think it was the 2012 version, but I honestly can't remember.
So let me be honest, I am perfectly ok with never blocking a kick. The reason, in PS2 versions of the game it was so easy when I would play people we had to make a gentleman’s agreement to not block kicks, punts, or PAT’s.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think I have started a dynasty with every single BCS team in the game except for Alabama and Ohio State. I'd do that 40 skill set idea but my worry is I'd get 4 years into my dynasty, be very invested at that time and then get fired...But I guess that could be a way to get really invested into a dynasty.

Part of the issue is teambuilder has been shut down and whoever created this NDS team gave them like B facilities or something and I just want all F with awful players. I think you wouldn’t get fired because expectations would be so low.

I noticed something weird like that with regard to NDS.

I subbed them and SDSU in for UTSA and Old Dominion I think and had both North Dakota State and South Dakota State in the big 12 and I noticed that SDSU was rated at like an 86 (pretty high in comparison to average P5 schools) and NDSU was rated like 70 lol.

I never did the lowest rated team challenge-like thing. I did however start a season with the worst team once, which happened to be Akron (i think) and ended up winning all but like 2 games. One loss was to Ohio St, I don't remember the other.

Hopefully a new game will come out soon. I only have a small list of demands...
  • Make RtG more indepth and advance or at least put in user options for more depth. Especially in the high school setting.
  • Keep conference realignments, thats always fun and it allows me to put CFB back to the way it is supposed to be lol.
  • Insert a customizable playoff option. Meaning default can be 4 teams, but allow me to increase it to whatever I want. If I want to play 12 games then have a 130 playoff, I should be able to do that. Not that I would, that's ridiculous. But I would absolutely play around with a 32 and 64 team bracket lol.
  • I forget which NCAA game it was, but recruiting was a lot better in one of the past ones and should be like that... idk if it was 2011 or 2012, but recruiting was more interesting than in the 2014 game.

I'm sure there is more I would want, but those are very needed in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, did any of y'all ever play your dynasties in coach mode for the challenge? That was frustrating to me and after mastering the gameplay was the biggest challenge left.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me be honest, I am perfectly ok with never blocking a kick. The reason, in PS2 versions of the game it was so easy when I would play people we had to make a gentleman’s agreement to not block kicks, punts, or PAT’s.

I think it should be difficult, but at least doable lol. I have NEVER witnessed one (played or watched others) block a kick in the 2014 game. And like I said, winning a game in double OT by blocking a kick was just poetic...and now I can't even come close lol.

My whole thing is that if it is something that can be done and it done multiple times a year in real life then it should be allowed in the game. Same could be said for hook and ladder plays or end of the game, repeated laterals. I don't know how it would work or look in the game, but I would like to see it made available to try. Even if it is 95% unsuccessful. Same with blocking a kick... even if it only happens 5% of the time, I am okay with that.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, did any of y'all ever play your dynasties in coach mode for the challenge? That was frustrating to me and after mastering the gameplay was the biggest challenge left.

Not full on coach mode. I played as the OC for a while, but obviously I still controlled the offense lol.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is the issue with using it for a ‘coach mode’. The blocking scheme is not a scheme. There is no true skill in planning an attack and using it in the game. While I love NCAA 14, the blocking is way too basic to try and use it as an actual coaching simulation.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and another thing lol, I'm just ranting but still...

If my player has 95+ speed and has taken off, there is no way I should be getting caught from behind.

A safety taking a proper angle in pursuit... sure, but there is no way a linebacker should catch up to me when I am in full sprint down the sideline after blowing by him ten yards ago lol

just sayin

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If EA NCAA has a Road To Glory mode will it be like how it was in like 2009 or the watered down version from 2013? Guess the latter.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its called there will be a money trail with it being a federal crime if you misrepresent where and who and how. People have to declare money received and paid. It is cheating if a certain type of payment is not allowed. You think there will be no rules at all? You think with this law it's ok for a booster to hand a recruiting class checks for 5k -10k 20k- 50k 100k? Schools will still have to monitor and so will the NCAA. This law is for players to cash in on their name and likeness . No body knows who your incoming Rt Guard is so if he has a 20K check from BObs auto shop it's obviously going to put up a red flag. Just like pros have cap systems there will be something in place where an unusual payment will get flagged.
What are you talking about? It will be legal. They will get a W2. They will pay taxes. LEGAL.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If EA NCAA has a Road To Glory mode will it be like how it was in like 2009 or the watered down version from 2013? Guess the latter.
My guess would be a mix of later versions and what Madden has done with Longshot. They need to get the on the fence consumer to buy. Story mode gets people invested.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just the start. This is ripe for corruption. I’ll use my own school, what’s to stop them from using donor money funneled through whatever to pay these guys what they want under the guise of a legitimate business?
Exactly. A car dealership uses a likeness. A shoe store or whatever.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess would be a mix of later versions and what Madden has done with Longshot. They need to get the on the fence consumer to buy. Story mode gets people invested.
Never played Longshot. I used to do the Madden version of Road to Glory, which was a lot of fun when you could hire/fire agents, sign endorsements, etc., and even that was having features removed after it peaked until they scrapped it for Longshot.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never played Longshot. I used to do the Madden version of Road to Glory, which was a lot of fun when you could hire/fire agents, sign endorsements, etc., and even that was having features removed after it peaked until they scrapped it for Longshot.
The old career mode was awesome. Longshot sucked. And I am a sucker for a great story and career mode etc. Paid 10 bucks for the Madden game a few years back only for that mode because well I knew the game would suck and was correct, and Longshot was a 100% resounding... meh.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is the issue with using it for a ‘coach mode’. The blocking scheme is not a scheme. There is no true skill in planning an attack and using it in the game. While I love NCAA 14, the blocking is way too basic to try and use it as an actual coaching simulation.

I went to coaching mode because there were a handful of go to plays that always worked(not enough discipline to stay away from them in a crunch) and even with the opposing AI jacked up, beating it with gameplay was becoming routine. Once you got a decent season or two in and recruiting became easier you were practically unbeatable playing the AI. I tried to keep the settings close to where they would be if I were playing online so I felt that was the best option for me.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to coaching mode because there were a handful of go to plays that always worked(not enough discipline to stay away from them in a crunch) and even with the opposing AI jacked up, beating it with gameplay was becoming routine. Once you got a decent season or two in and recruiting became easier you were practically unbeatable playing the AI. I tried to keep the settings close to where they would be if I were playing online so I felt that was the best option for me.
I spent probably a total of 6-10 hours working on my playbook. When people are like, oh lets just play a game, I have to play with my playbook because I literally have no idea which playbook to use.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I have had any qualms with you, so allow me to explain my position in a manner that is not as confrontational as we are getting. IMHO it matters less to me to what a system is compared to is the system being followed. Before the BCS, polls crowned a champion. We have had dozens of polls used to pick multiple champs in the same season. For the most part, I do not dispute anyone claiming a natty based on contemporaneous pre BCS era polls, even if I disagree with the poll.

That ended with the BCS because opinion was being factored out in lieu of a computer/poll mix, or so the theory went. At the point of the first year of BCS, the BCSCG decided the champ, not the polls. It was at least better than Bowl tie ins and the eye test(polls) on teams that did not play one another. Once the BCS was in place, IMHO that is the decider of champions. The AP was voluntarily a part of and had say in, what pitted LSU and Oklahoma. Every player, coach, AD and conference … along with the AP … knew how the natty would be decided and agreed that the BCS was the system that selected the MNC.

When I say that the AP was irrelevant with their naming of USC as MNC over the BCS champs, it is not because the AP is some random group devoid of skills and discernment but rather because they agreed to be a large part of the BCS to help determine the BCSCG matchup and then refused to abide by the outcome. I also think that USC could have beaten both LSU and Oklahoma but that is irrelevant too. We had a process for picking the MNC and when that process played out USC was not even in the CG, much less the champion of it.

Regardless of whatever you posted in the essay above...the NCAA clearly recognizes USC as champs for 2003 and 2004.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent probably a total of 6-10 hours working on my playbook. When people are like, oh lets just play a game, I have to play with my playbook because I literally have no idea which playbook to use.

I hosted a game party/BBQ one Saturday and after the beer/shots took hold we decided that we got to choose our opponents playbooks. That never happened again.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hosted a game party/BBQ one Saturday and after the beer/shots took hold we decided that we got to choose our opponents playbooks. That never happened again.
One time we had a tournament and we all drew numbers and got teams ranked between like 10-22... and I got stuck with Cal who was without a doubt the worst ranked team in the game that year. What you are talking about sounds awful too.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of whatever you posted in the essay above...the NCAA clearly recognizes USC as champs for 2003 and 2004.

It recognizes the FWAA MNC that year even though the FWAA vacated the title for USC and demanded the trophy be returned.
It also recognizes that * Southern California’s participation in the 2004 championship was vacated by the NCAA Committee on Infractions.