• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA to allow players to profit on their likeness, no later than 2021

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there might be rules but I'm not sure there will be rules that limit this to the extent you're talking about. The counter argument is this; no one is going to pay a no-name lineman for a picture. I suspect the way this plays out is that it's going to have to be more formal than that; contractual brand deals and such. If Bob's auto wants to pay a kid to be in a commercial I think that will be fine. I think if a kid wants to do a signing where he signs pictures, that will be fine. But I don't think random unaccounted for payments will be a thing. I think players might also get kick-backs on jersey sales and things like that. So you'll start to see officially licenses and named jerseys in school's official retail shops. The MDen will start selling Patterson jerseys with his actual name on them; that kind of thing.

I also don't think this will kick in until players are out of HS; because the HS rules are going to limit what recruits can get and still be eligible. But once a kid comes on campus, then I think they'll be allowed to profit in certain ways.

Maybe because I know or have an understanding of what people get paid for commercials or promotions. I have friends and family in the entertainment movie and TV industry ( no not p0rn.lol) . I have a cousin whos daughter is a dancer for Taylor Swift and does commercials. My Thurs night mens softball teams name is HDGB. Stands for Hollywood Dreams Gone Bad. We've had lots of part time or wanna be actors on the team. We have actors from many shows in the league. Terrell Owens plays on another team here. Anyway, even a commercial that plays all over the country doesn't pay the amount people are talking about getting for Billy Bobs used car lot. So since payments will be checked I assume by someone at the school and would have to be declared to the IRS a check or a bunch of checks from a booster that are way out of line of the current scale would bring up huge red flags. I'm not saying Billy Bob wont be able to bring in the star QB and the RB for signing session some weekend and they could both make 1k or something but people are nuts if they think they are going to be able to give soe no name player 50k for a day at the used car lot. We are going from total no money with rules that say you can't buy a kid a taco to some things will be allowed.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As already stated, all I want is my NCAA Football back. I can’t play that garbage Madden. One group worked on a project they cared about, the other was trying to make as much money as possible. No secret which is which if you take two minutes and look at youtube.
If NCAA is produced by EA again, it will be a soulless cashgrab like all the other sports games

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As already stated, all I want is my NCAA Football back. I can’t play that garbage Madden. One group worked on a project they cared about, the other was trying to make as much money as possible. No secret which is which if you take two minutes and look at youtube.
Fuck college football.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck college football.
giphy.gif

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If NCAA is produced by EA again, it will be a soulless cashgrab like all the other sports games
The NCAA series has been far from perfect, but the developers put effort into making improvements and changing things up. It was head and shoulders better than Madden and they seemed to really hit their stride in the 14 edition. Is 14 a perfect game? No, offense can be exploitive, but it is still pretty rock solid.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, between now and then is it a free for all? I mean if you know you can't be punished in the future for current indiscretions then why not start getting the money flowing right away? Why wait? :noidea:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, between now and then is it a free for all? I mean if you know you can't be punished in the future for current indiscretions then why not start getting the money flowing right away? Why wait? :noidea:
It takes time to get the auction sites set up to buy slav.... recruits.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over what the NCAA had to say Id guess the scandals of the future will be companies/agents conspiring with schools vs. agents/boosters who conspire with players and schools now. It's an improvement, but not a cure.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How stupid are you? People get paid for commercial work for endorsements. Theres a scale for all of that. You cant give some no name O lineman a check for 20 k. For a picture. Thats what a select few well known NFL a hall of famers would get for a speach. There will be some rules.

An who and how are these “rules” going to be enforced. You yourself have acknowledged shady shit still happens. This ruling/law whatever you want to call it makes these shady dealings legal. I doubt they are going to put a cap on someone’s “likeness.” I mean, is that even possible without looking like an absolute hypocrite?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe because I know or have an understanding of what people get paid for commercials or promotions. I have friends and family in the entertainment movie and TV industry ( no not p0rn.lol) . I have a cousin whos daughter is a dancer for Taylor Swift and does commercials. My Thurs night mens softball teams name is HDGB. Stands for Hollywood Dreams Gone Bad. We've had lots of part time or wanna be actors on the team. We have actors from many shows in the league. Terrell Owens plays on another team here. Anyway, even a commercial that plays all over the country doesn't pay the amount people are talking about getting for Billy Bobs used car lot. So since payments will be checked I assume by someone at the school and would have to be declared to the IRS a check or a bunch of checks from a booster that are way out of line of the current scale would bring up huge red flags. I'm not saying Billy Bob wont be able to bring in the star QB and the RB for signing session some weekend and they could both make 1k or something but people are nuts if they think they are going to be able to give soe no name player 50k for a day at the used car lot. We are going from total no money with rules that say you can't buy a kid a taco to some things will be allowed.

You don’t think some of these billionaire alums that absolutely love their football team would be willing to leave bags of cash on recruits doorsteps to point them in their direction? It’s not all going to go through the athletic department. Thinking so is willful ignorance.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t think some of these billionaire alums that absolutely love their football team would be willing to leave bags of cash on recruits doorsteps to point them in their direction? It’s not all going to go through the athletic department. Thinking so is willful ignorance.

LOL. And whats been stopping them from doing that now? You seriously think a bag of cash will be delivered with a note that says please come to (name a school) for the next for years and that person wasn't doing that already? LOL

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An who and how are these “rules” going to be enforced. You yourself have acknowledged shady shit still happens. This ruling/law whatever you want to call it makes these shady dealings legal. I doubt they are going to put a cap on someone’s “likeness.” I mean, is that even possible without looking like an absolute hypocrite?
They don't get squat now. lol. So some shady shit will happen like it always has . The people who live and die for football will always cheat. This just helps the people who can do it the right way. Be good enough people want your jersey , be interesting enough people want you to promote their product and you can make some money.
If you're just shady, you will always be shady and you will find other shady people who will pay you like they always have.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. And whats been stopping them from doing that now? You seriously think a bag of cash will be delivered with a note that says please come to (name a school) for the next for years. LOL

Nothing, this rule makes it legal.

You seriously think a bag of cash won’t be delivered? Especially with this ruling? LOL

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing, this rule makes it legal.

You seriously think a bag of cash won’t be delivered? Especially with this ruling? LOL

Again. You think no one was doing that in the past 60 years? LOL. I'm supposed to think they were going to stop? No. They will keep being cheaters. But what it does help is the college athlete who can make legit money. It doesn't stop them by taking away their scholarships. Like the female swimmer at Stanford whos won multiple golds and can't sign a contract with speedo because if she does she can't swim for Stanford

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't get squat now. lol. So some shady shit will happen like it always has . The people who live and die for football will always cheat. This just helps the people who can do it the right way.

They get a free education, room and board and food. Stop saying they get nothing. I’m still in the hole with college debt and I graduated over a decade ago.

This doesn’t just help people that do it the right way. It helps people with the biggest pockets. Mostly, the big programs. You think everyone is going to go through the athletic department and claim everything they give. They won’t, because they don’t have to.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. You think no one was doing that in the past 60 years? LOL. I'm supposed to think they were going to stop? No. They will keep being cheaters. But what it does help is the college athlete who can make legit money. It doesn't stop them by taking away their scholarships. Like the female swimmer at Stanford whos won multiple golds and can't sign a contract with speedo or she can't swim for Stanford

I’m not against helping the athlete. I’m against a free for all where whomever has the biggest pockets wins. Ohh and this law, makes them all not cheaters anymore.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get a free education, room and board and food. Stop saying they get nothing. I’m still in the hole with college debt and I graduated over a decade ago.

This doesn’t just help people that do it the right way. It helps people with the biggest pockets. Mostly, the big programs. You think everyone is going to go through the athletic department and claim everything they give. They won’t, because they don’t have to.
I'm guessing your school didn't make millions from people watching you do your work.
This isn't the schools paying . What part of that you don't you get. And yes you have to claim it. You hide money it's a federal offense. It's about allowing players to market themselves. It doesn't mean they can accept large sums of cash from an alum. You don't think there still wont be rules against that?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not against helping the athlete. I’m against a free for all where whomever has the biggest pockets wins. Ohh and this law, makes them all not cheaters anymore.

95% of the players will be happy with the scholarship. But there are a few who are talented enough and marketable enough to make more money. This lets them.