• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Compared to Mafia

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This could get interesting!

WASHINGTON (AP)—A Democratic congressman is comparing the NCAA to the Mafia over how it controls the lives of student athletes.

The congressman, Bobby Rush of Illinois, made the accusations at a congressional forum on college sports called to look at the impact of "back-room deals, payoffs and scandals" in college sports.

Says Rush: "I think you would compare the NCAA to Al Capone and to the Mafia."

Rush spoke after hearing from a couple of mothers of student athletes who complained of ill treatment by schools after their sons suffered injuries.

The NCAA didn't immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

LINK

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A Congressman from Illinois talking about corruption...isn't this like the pot calling the kettle black?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument there. I think it's ridiculous that they won't allow students to receive money. I understand the reason they do it, but it seems very selfish to me. They should at least allow them to have their names on Jersey's and give them the rights to NCAA football games. It's bullshit.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone on a music scholarship to a particular college gets a job with the LA Philharmonic in the summer based on their skills, there are no ramifications. However, if a college athlete gets a commercial, they are forbidden from collecting money for that work. It's bad enough that the college is making millions on the backs of these kids, it's ridiculous to see that they are fighting so vehemently NOT to pay. We are talking merchandise as well when talking about the university's sport revenue money pot. Pryor getting slammed to the wall for trading signed jerseys for tattoos? Really? That's a crime in the eyes of NCAA? Stupid. There are ways where Universities don't have to necessarily have to pay the athletes but the athletes are permitted to make some money. Things like easing restrictions on summer work, allowing players to keep jerseys and memorabillia to do as they please, etc. are all examples of making things easier to be a student athlete making the employer MILLIONS.