• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Congress may consider antitrust exemption to cap coaching salaries ...

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A Power Five university chancellor and at least one U.S. senator say they are among those that believe the NCAA should limit the amount of money college coaches make.

Rebecca Blank, chancellor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, testified in a Senate hearing Tuesday morning that she would "be more than happy" to discuss the possibility of an antitrust law exemption that would grant colleges the power to curb the rapidly increasing salaries of coaches in college sports.

"I think that is appropriate for college sports," Blank told the members of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. "I think it is somewhat outrageous that the highest-paid employee in many states is their state university college coach."

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say they just tie it into the team's 4 year revenue. If the team's 4 year revenue average is $100 million per season, then the coach can make no more than 10% of that (I just threw out a number here, make it less if you like). Now, you don't have to pay him that amount, but that would be the cap he could make in a season. Every 4 years you can review his contract and offer him more or cut it depending on the revenue average.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say they just tie it into the team's 4 year revenue. If the team's 4 year revenue average is $100 million per season, then the coach can make no more than 10% of that (I just threw out a number here, make it less if you like). Now, you don't have to pay him that amount, but that would be the cap he could make in a season. Every 4 years you can review his contract and offer him more or cut it depending on the revenue average.
If they went this route you might as well just cut the ncaa in half and have two separate leagues, P5 and G5. G5 schools make way less money as it is and it would become almost impossible to get amd keep a great coach. As soon as a G5 school manages to get an awesome coach that can put a great team together the ciach will get poached by a P5 school that can pay more money (pretty much how it is now), and make it literally impossible for a G5 school to sniff high end bowl games.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I' would agree to that if Professors were paid for the number of hours they spent teaching a class. I'd cap that at $1000 an hour. Think any one of them would be able to crack $60,000 a semester?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they went this route you might as well just cut the ncaa in half and have two separate leagues, P5 and G5. G5 schools make way less money as it is and it would become almost impossible to get amd keep a great coach. As soon as a G5 school manages to get an awesome coach that can put a great team together the ciach will get poached by a P5 school that can pay more money (pretty much how it is now), and make it literally impossible for a G5 school to sniff high end bowl games.

They make plenty of revenue to pay them very good salaries:

The numbers above already include the coaches salaries. Now COVID cancelations may kill some of these programs (and others not listed), but if they can't survive, then it's probably good that close up shop anyway...or spend less money on coaches until revenue increases again.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing would be more awesome than watching how schools get around a salary cap. "We can only pay you 300K, but you also get your own house where bikini models will serve you barbecue at all hours of the day and night."

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing would be more awesome than watching how schools get around a salary cap. "We can only pay you 300K, but you also get your own house where bikini models will serve you barbecue at all hours of the day and night."

Yeah, nothing would stop a coach from being an "advisor" or "on the board" to a booster's company. Coaches will get their money, and programs will figure out how to deliver it.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, nothing would stop a coach from being an "advisor" or "on the board" to a booster's company. Coaches will get their money, and programs will figure out how to deliver it.

Is it not correct to say that coach's salaries already follow this model? IIRC most of the money top coaches make are not paid by the institution but rather boosters, television/radio shows and sponsorship deals. Why should those be capped?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it not correct to say that coach's salaries already follow this model? IIRC most of the money top coaches make are not paid by the institution but rather boosters, television/radio shows and sponsorship deals. Why should those be capped?

I would think so, but the legislation talked about in the article was critical of college coaches being the highest paid employee in the state. So they are getting money from the institution.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think so, but the legislation talked about in the article was critical of college coaches being the highest paid employee in the state. So they are getting money from the institution.
That is a really bad argument by the legislators because it is one sided. Sure, Saban is the highest paid state of Alabama employee but he also has the largest and most tangible ROI of any state employee as well.