• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Supreme Court tells NCAA to suck a Dick

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to college is not what the job is, playing football is the job.
So doing a science assignment is a job? I understand the feelings on paying football players but it is idiotic unless the SCOTUS rules all internships must come with financial compensation.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m for players making whatever money they get offered by boosters or whatever.

What if HS sports became profitable? Should those HS athletes get paid?

Reactions: gob

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So doing a science assignment is a job? I understand the feelings on paying football players but it is idiotic unless the SCOTUS rules all internships must come with financial compensation.
If 50,000 people pay to watch the science assignment than yes.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not how it works. with college sports it's the ncaa saying no internship can come with financial compensation. at least that's how it used to be. Honestly I couldn't care less if a booster offers a 5 star recruit a 6 figure job mowing a lawn with 365 paid vacation days a year. college sports is the only place you get shamed for taking the pile of money and it's total bs.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m for players making whatever money they get offered by boosters or whatever.

What if HS sports became profitable? Should those HS athletes get paid?
they won't, but the guys do get paid before signing day anyway. look at a guy like Zion. He definitely needed an agent like his jr year of hs but he had to put on the charade for a few years because that's how the system works. the whole thing is a joke.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban made over $11 million last year.

Bama could pay him $8 million and pay their top 60 players $50,000 each.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ruling allows the NCAA to create the standards.

The SCOTUS has given the NCAA an out, if they elect to take it. Simply raise the eligibility requirements
to 3.0 in core courses to receive a scholarship and 3.0 in core courses to maintain eligibility.

That simply forces the NFL and NBA to create a minor league.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they came up with the card swipe thingy, didn't they know there would be problems and all those waiting in line would suffer. Dumb idea!

Don't they know this will not work, I do. Watch the mess we are going to see. I guarantee it.

Kid gets hurt he will be out a good 8 weeks, you keep paying him? Starters make the same as 4th strigers?

Good luck!

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they came up with the card swipe thingy, didn't they know there would be problems and all those waiting in line would suffer. Dumb idea!

Don't they know this will not work, I do. Watch the mess we are going to see. I guarantee it.

Kid gets hurt he will be out a good 8 weeks, you keep paying him? Starters make the same as 4th strigers?

Good luck!
It'll get sticky when they pay some but not all...and/or...they discriminate against women's sports/athletes. The first lawsuits will
open the flood gates.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll get sticky when they pay some but not all...and/or...they discriminate against women's sports/athletes. The first lawsuits will
open the flood gates.

You got it and there will be all kinds of problems. This is one dumb idea as we will be seeing.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the scope of this ruling is only based on educational expenses, but if you read the concurring opinion by Kavanaugh the writing is on the wall for the future. Let's look at some of the quotes!

The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America,
NCAA built a massive money-raising enterprise on the backs of student-athletes who are not fairly compensated.
all of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that ‘customers prefer’ to eat food from low-paid cooks. ... Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a ‘purer’ form of helping the sick. ... Price-fixing labor is price-fixing labor.

He also at one point encouraged the NCAA to work on collective bargaining or the issue of amateurism will be fixed in legislation. NCAA is dead, it is just going to take a few years to see it.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was inevitably going to happen. Here is my solution to the "pay" problem with college football (and to a lesser extent men's basketball).

Turn all sports teams into groups of employees that represent the school. This could allow them to establish a paycheck based on position played, or even develop a salary cap. They are offered medical benefits with their employment. If one of these athletic employees chooses to take a lesser paycheck, in lieu of an academic scholarship, they can do so. The NCAA can still be the governing body of these leagues (eligibility, injury, drug testing, tournament scheduling, etc.), but they just eliminate the "student/athlete" distinction in sports. Now they simply are employees of the universities and represent their university in a specific sport.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If 50,000 people pay to watch the science assignment than yes.
That doesn’t make any sense. So your stance in that the top science student should receive a chunk of the grants from university then right?

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing that is going to work, you cannot pay 80ish football players, just that simple.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not how it works. with college sports it's the ncaa saying no internship can come with financial compensation. at least that's how it used to be. Honestly I couldn't care less if a booster offers a 5 star recruit a 6 figure job mowing a lawn with 365 paid vacation days a year. college sports is the only place you get shamed for taking the pile of money and it's total bs.
The NCAA has always stated athletics is an internship, you get the training, experience and exposure from the University. Football and basketball players have been getting because they aren’t receiving their “fair share” but they need to take that up with the lawyers and Title IX. Especially football players have a gripe, but their gripe should be at every non revenue athlete on their campus and the professionals in the NFLPA and NBAPA well before complaining about the NCAA or school.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA has always stated athletics is an internship, you get the training, experience and exposure from the University. Football and basketball players have been getting because they aren’t receiving their “fair share” but they need to take that up with the lawyers and Title IX. Especially football players have a gripe, but their gripe should be at every non revenue athlete on their campus and the professionals in the NFLPA and NBAPA well before complaining about the NCAA or school.
That's not what this is about. Why should anybody give a shit if Zion signed a million dollar contract with Nike when he was in high school? That's literally no skin off of anybody's back at the NCAA. Everybody knows the big bucks are in endorsements.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn’t make any sense. So your stance in that the top science student should receive a chunk of the grants from university then right?
First, grad students do get access to the research grants.

Second, science is a core function of school, football is an extra curricular. It is not an apples to apples comparison.

Amateurism of the NCAA has always been a lie. One they invented to screw over the players.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what this is about. Why should anybody give a shit if Zion signed a million dollar contract with Nike when he was in high school? That's literally no skin off of anybody's back at the NCAA. Everybody knows the big bucks are in endorsements.
I am all for them getting paid and making money of their likeness

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you're also starting to see funds like this:

young athlete gets cash and will be obligated to give a chunk of their earnings later if they hit it big. I guess my question to you is why the fuck should they be forced to say no when people are trying to throw money at them?