• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA proposing new lottery system to balance odds

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,914.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA submitted an official proposal to reform the lottery system, dismissing the Wheel idea in favor a revised weighting system that shifts each team's odds of getting the top pick.

The proposal is essentially an attempt to squeeze the lottery odds at either extreme toward a more balanced system in which all 14 teams have a relatively similar chance at the no. 1 pick, per sources familiar with the proposal.

The new proposal will give at least the four worst teams the same odds of winning the no. 1 pick, approximately 11 percent for each club. The odds decline slowly from there.

The proposal also calls for the drawing of the first six picks via the Ping-Pong ball lottery, sources say.

Source: ESPN

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about anything would be an improvement at this point. Like the idea of top 4 worst teams having the same % chance.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pros and Cons.

It could also potentially hurt a team trying to use a future draft pick in a trade.

I think the current system can work, but they need to change the number of combinations to each team, and then reward lottery teams who actually win games going down the stretch.

For instance, for every win in your last 20 games, reward then with 25 more combinations, or something like that.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why not show the public, when they are doing it, to show it's not rigged? I mean, what do they have to hide?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id like to see them go away from it...worst teams get top picks...Cleveland was bailed out 3 out of 4 years...I don't know exactly if true or not. on paper they had 9th or 10th worst record. what I heard was when they didn't get the 9-13 picks...it wasn't possible for them to get anything at that point but a top 3 pick.

but really just make it like the nfl draft..no more gift giving lottery

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea in principle. I suppose if your 7th you failed to be bad enough. Something needs to change especially using Cavs as the example

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this proposal a lot better than the Wheel. The Wheel is just too complicated. Plus, I don't like the idea of college players specifically holding out on entering the draft because they know who the #1 pick is. "Washington has the #1 pick? Nah. I'ma stay in school so I can go to the Knicks next year". Plus, I like the lottery concept. It's fun. Predetermining things just makes the whole process more dull

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this proposal a lot better than the Wheel. The Wheel is just too complicated. Plus, I don't like the idea of college players specifically holding out on entering the draft because they know who the #1 pick is. "Washington has the #1 pick? Nah. I'ma stay in school so I can go to the Knicks next year". Plus, I like the lottery concept. It's fun. Predetermining things just makes the whole process more dull

true. maybe im the odd ball out here. I just think something has to be done after the gifts the cavs got so many years. call it basketball reasons like the cp3 deal. funny thing is rumor has it dan gilbert was the driving force complaining about the cp3 trade resulting in the VETO. then he gets all these picks...gets LeBron back...hes not complaining when it bails out his team.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want them to broadcast the process, so will have no suspicion.

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why not show the public, when they are doing it, to show it's not rigged? I mean, what do they have to hide?

Exactly.... I think it's all bullshit and the nba goes in there and picks the teams they want. If we can watch our states do the lottery with some blonde chic wearing a bikini, popping out the balls, then we can watch bald headed silver do the same shit.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id like to see them go away from it...worst teams get top picks...Cleveland was bailed out 3 out of 4 years...I don't know exactly if true or not. on paper they had 9th or 10th worst record. what I heard was when they didn't get the 9-13 picks...it wasn't possible for them to get anything at that point but a top 3 pick.

but really just make it like the nfl draft..no more gift giving lottery

The lottery is really only picks 1-3. One being drawn, then two, then three. If a team isn't drawn in the top three they are simply slotted by their record accordingly. No team can move further than three spots down. (Worst record at worst will pick fourth. Second worst fifth and so on.)But every team in the lottery has a chance at picks 1-3. The draft positions are just announced in reverse order for drama.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true. maybe im the odd ball out here. I just think something has to be done after the gifts the cavs got so many years. call it basketball reasons like the cp3 deal. funny thing is rumor has it dan gilbert was the driving force complaining about the cp3 trade resulting in the VETO. then he gets all these picks...gets LeBron back...hes not complaining when it bails out his team.

I think they should either just go in reverse order from the worst record picking first.

Either that, or do as LUSC suggests and make the whole process completely transparent. More and more people seem to be buying into "the NBA is fixed" nonsense and when you try to have some "super secret process" it just feeds that fire.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should either just go in reverse order from the worst record picking first.

Either that, or do as LUSC suggests and make the whole process completely transparent. More and more people seem to be buying into "the NBA is fixed" nonsense and when you try to have some "super secret process" it just feeds that fire.

I don't often tune in to the nba lottery. i assumed they showed it live the whole process. if not then makes me question the Cleveland gifts even more. potentially the wiggins gift could set them up and change landscape of team...if he becomes some star in addition to kyrie and LeBron. "haters" will say well they got bailed out 3 times in lottery.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the current format.