• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East - Orioles
Central - Guardians
West - Astros
Wild Cards - Rangers, Rays, Mariners

National League
East - Braves
Central - Cubs
West - Dodgers
Wild Cards - Phillies, Giants, Diamondbacks

World Series - Dodgers beat the Astros

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m having a hard time trying to follow what the NFL is trying to do with the kickoff and tackling changes. Whatever I guess.

If you need to make kickoffs that freaking absurd, you should just get rid of them

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see opening day baseball already postponed in New York and Philly.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East - Orioles
Central - Guardians
West - Astros
Wild Cards - Rangers, Rays, Mariners

National League
East - Braves
Central - Cubs
West - Dodgers
Wild Cards - Phillies, Giants, Diamondbacks

World Series - Dodgers beat the Astros
why do people love the Twins so much? I realize the central is no powerhouse (to say the least) but every single publication has picked them to win the division.

I think their rotation is pretty lackluster. They are relying on Ober and Ryan a lot- both guys who lost at it points last year. Lopez is good but its not like he is a world-beater. Good for like a 3.5 ERA and a lot of innings- that is no doubt valuable--- but is it a ton better than Tanner Bibee?

Twins catching is okay--- Vazquez and Jeffers- nothing special.
Carlos Santana and Kirilof at 1B- I mean - its fine..nothing special
Julien at 2nd- who has terrible platoon splits and is atrocious defensively- he def can take a walk and has some power so there is a decent bat there- at least from one side of the plate
Correa was pretty awful when he played last year
Royce Lewis looks like he can be special but he is hurt really often
Wallner, Buxton and Kapler in the outfield--- okay some nice power-- Wallner seems to be another platoon guy though- Buxton is always hurt.

They do have a solid offense and good power.

Their bullpen is good-- not great but good.

I think the Tigers and Guardians are right there with them talent wise- especially if the Guardians rotation is healthy and the Tigers rotation develops.

If Bieber is healthy- which it looks like he is- and you told me I had to win a playoff game I would take him over Lopez. Id take Clase over Duran. My first position player I would take on either team is Jose.

C- Vazquez/Jeffers vs. Naylor/Hedges- I would take Naylor
1B- Naylor vs. Santana/Kiriloff- I would take Naylor
2B- Gimenez vs. Julien- def. Gimenez who just won the platinum glove, and while didnt have a great OBP still had 15 hr and 30 steals
3B- Lewis vs. Ramirez- right now until Jose falls off, and until Lewis can stay healthy and do it for a full year I am def. taking Ramirez
SS- Rocchio vs. Correa- def. Correa if he is healthy- I think Correa will be better than last year- but the guy batted .230 with a .711 OPS last year- I think his OPS goes back up over .800--- but if it doesnt and he is a .230 hitting mediocre SS that keeps getting hurt then that is a BAD contract
OF- Buxton, Kapler, Wallner--- if Buxton is healthy he can be great- but he is never healthy and sucked last year-- if healthy he can EASILY out homer the entire Guardians outfield of- Kwan, Freeman, Laureano (which is awful)- def. take the Twins outfield.

Both teams have reinforcements coming - Manzardo and Delauter vs. Jenkins, Lee- but Manzardo and Delauer really fill some big time holes.

If Bieber and McKenzie show last year was an aberration for them- I take the Guardians. If McKenzie gets hurt and Bieber traded- then sure- take the Twins.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But inconsistently legislated (the suplex stuff). This next year will be bad with them flagging things that people look at and say that’s not that bad. The goal is to eventually legislate this out of the game but that will take time. It took about 3-4 seasons of a focus on going high in the defensive backfield to change the way the secondary challenged balls over the middle. It will be the same deal here.
I guess I dont understand. How else are you supposed to tackle someone? I mean, I always heard go low and wrap up the guy....i agree the body slams are excessive when you left them in the air, but if you wrap a guy how else are you supposed to bring him down? Maybe I am just not understanding but if you wrap up a player, i mean, you either fall to the ground as leverage, or throw them to the ground....id rather have this then diving at a guys knees like that scumbag Fitzpatrick.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns have Watson, Winston, Huntley and DTR at QB but are meeting with Milton?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I dont understand. How else are you supposed to tackle someone? I mean, I always heard go low and wrap up the guy....i agree the body slams are excessive when you left them in the air, but if you wrap a guy how else are you supposed to bring him down? Maybe I am just not understanding but if you wrap up a player, i mean, you either fall to the ground as leverage, or throw them to the ground....id rather have this then diving at a guys knees like that scumbag Fitzpatrick.
The way tackling is taught entails the defensive player making contact, wrapping up the player, and the defender driving his legs and the offensive player back to the opposing goal line or the sideline. You’re never taught to leave your feet while tackling.

The plays in question are those where the player purposefully goes to ground and uses their body as a fulcrum to sort of tip the ball carrier to end the movement. So why can it be dangerous? This process of essentially the defender making their legs “go dead” as they go to ground can result in the defender rolling up underneath the ball carrier causing injury.

Here’s a short video of 3 such tackles that resulted in injury.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m having a hard time trying to follow what the NFL is trying to do with the kickoff and tackling changes. Whatever I guess.

The kickoff is the same as the XFL (now UFL), is it not? Just watch one of those games. Their season starts this weekend

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kickoff is the same as the XFL (now UFL), is it not? Just watch one of those games. Their season starts this weekend
Oh I understand the rule, it’s the why that baffles me. Just play football.