• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were going to try to work on the mass on his liver but was worried that he may bleed out as he also has masses in his pancreas, chest, and esophagus. Tuesday they are operating on the chest, so it hasn't actually totally been confirmed as cancer but all the "differential diagnosis" is cancer. So we are not sure yet obviously with that spread if it is cancer it is 3 at the absolute best but most likely 4.
Damn it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I thought we were gonna get boat raced today, so I didn't watch. Shame on me...

The big difference with the defense was they were bigger and more physical than our defenses the past few years. They were able to do a much better job of holding their ground to get stops rather than having to try to "outscheme" the offense.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big difference with the defense was they were bigger and more physical than our defenses the past few years. They were able to do a much better job of holding their ground to get stops rather than having to try to "outscheme" the offense.
I thought their tackling was much better and there something that usually lacks week 1

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought their tackling was much better and there something that usually lacks week 1

Definitely. The past couple of years or so, even when a defender was right there to get a stop, it often resulted in a broken or missed tackle. Apparently, D'Anton Lynn insisted on more contact and actual tackling in practice than USC had been doing. The lack of tackling in practice started under Helton and continued under Riley.

I never understood that. Yes, you risk guys getting hurt in practice...but you can't not practice tackling and then expect to tackle well on game day.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. The past couple of years or so, even when a defender was right there to get a stop, it often resulted in a broken or missed tackle. Apparently, D'Anton Lynn insisted on more contact and actual tackling in practice than USC had been doing. The lack of tackling in practice started under Helton and continued under Riley.

I never understood that. Yes, you risk guys getting hurt in practice...but you can't not practice tackling and then expect to tackle well on game day.
I think it’s the toughest line to walk in practice planning. We used to tweak this in some way every year because you never feel like you get it just right. You temper the need to practice live ball tackling vs the need to keep people healthy. Often in high school football, one injury kills you at two positions.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it’s the toughest line to walk in practice planning. We used to tweak this in some way every year because you never feel like you get it just right. You temper the need to practice live ball tackling vs the need to keep people healthy. Often in high school football, one injury kills you at two positions.

It really is. You have young guys who need the practice and need the contact and veteran guys who just need enough to prepare for the season. You also didn't want your QB taking hits in practice.

Used to be that they'd put a red vest on the QB and maybe a RB or WR (especially if they were a little banged up)...if you hit one of them...you got to spend quality time after practice with the strength and conditioning coach. It was open season on everyone else though. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hated that targeting call on the LSU kid at the end of the game.

Based on the way the rule is written, it was textbook targeting and therefore the correct call...but I think they need to tweak the verbiage and the application.

Yes, it was crown of the helmet with helmet to helmet contact, but short of just pulling up and not making the tackle, I'm not sure what the kid was supposed to do. It's not like he launched himself or looked like he was just trying to "blow the guy up" to make a SportsCenter highlight.

It also sucks that it's going to cost him the 1st half of their next game.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Based on the way the rule is written, it was textbook targeting and therefore the correct call...but I think they need to tweak the verbiage and the application.
Nope. Did you see that there have been multiple high school kids die already this season from head injuries suffered in football games? Targeting is here to stay. If they don’t do these things we won’t have football anymore. Youth participation is dwindling with each passing year.
Yes, it was crown of the helmet with helmet to helmet contact, but short of just pulling up and not making the tackle, I'm not sure what the kid was supposed to do. It's not like he launched himself or looked like he was just trying to "blow the guy up" to make a SportsCenter highlight.
He’s supposed to come with head to the side and wrap leading with his shoulder.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't hate the call but they need to do away with this throwing people for every single targeting. Common sense should start being used. You can tell the difference between intentional targeting and someone just playing hard and made a bad play. Call the penalty but keep these kids in the game

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Did you see that there have been multiple high school kids die already this season from head injuries suffered in football games? Targeting is here to stay. If they don’t do these things we won’t have football anymore. Youth participation is dwindling with each passing year.

I agree that there should be a rule against targeting. I just think that they need to tweak it a little. Or at least allow some context in how it's applied. To me, that was one that shouldn't have been called, but the refs aren't allowed that discretion.

He’s supposed to come with head to the side and wrap leading with his shoulder.
With the positioning and angle that the USC player was at in making the catch, there really wasn't a way to do that. Especially at game speed.

The rule has been around long enough and the players are used to it enough that you really don't see the kinds of plays that, according to what I recall, were the ones they were trying to rid the sport of when they created the rule, all that much anymore.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there should be a rule against targeting. I just think that they need to tweak it a little. Or at least allow some context in how it's applied. To me, that was one that shouldn't have been called, but the refs aren't allowed that discretion.

With the positioning and angle that the USC player was at in making the catch, there really wasn't a way to do that. Especially at game speed.
Disagree. The slipping of the head to lead with the shoulder is not asking too much of an athlete. We’ve seen players adjust now. It can be done and should be done.
The rule has been around long enough and the players are used to it enough that you really don't see the kinds of plays that, according to what I recall, were the ones they were trying to rid the sport of when they created the rule, all that much anymore.
This is a good argument for keeping it in play. They need to keep the injection rules in place to get the players to buy in.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate the call but they need to do away with this throwing people for every single targeting. Common sense should start being used. You can tell the difference between intentional targeting and someone just playing hard and made a bad play. Call the penalty but keep these kids in the game

Yeah, as much as I would like to see the rule at least tweaked, I'd be satisfied if they just got rid of that part.

Last night, the kid who replaced him made a bad read on the touchdown run. If the starter is in, maybe he makes the right read and prevents the touchdown?

It might have only meant USC winning 23-20...but we know about the adventure college kickers can be and USC's had already missed a chip shot just before halftime.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. The slipping of the head to lead with the shoulder is not asking too much of an athlete. We’ve seen players adjust now. It can be done and should be done.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Offensive players change positions all the time trying to make catches, protect the ball or avoid/lessen the impact of a hit. Sometimes there just isn't time for the defender to adjust.

This is a good argument for keeping it in play. They need to keep the injection rules in place to get the players to buy in.

The players have bought in. That's why you don't see those "blow him up" type plays much anymore.