• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finebaum says USC should be going after James Franklin first, followed by Mario Cristobal from Oregon.

Is there a coach you'd like to see your team go after?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have literally never said I didn’t think he would be good.

I said I don’t think he will be great.

And he isn’t.

So I am not wrong.

And I am not knocking him either. In fact, I went out of my way with my first post to say he played well against KC. You were pushing back about a post that I think Coherd made about Baker.

And I was checking you because you clearly don’t understand what Coherd was talking about.

I am not saying he was right, but your analysis of his comment shows that you don’t comprehend it.
I mean, there was only 1 QB better per PFF last half of season last year and started off this year with a really good overall perfoemance. PFF not be all end all, but they have no agenda.

Of course I get what Cowhurd was saying. There is no factual basis to back his comment AND it's true of nearly every QB. They are all a little worse when the other team knows a pass is coming.

The game manager talk also is way off base as a way to throw shade (which is how most use it). Most think game manager means a QB who can stay out of the way and not be needed to win the game. Like Dilfer.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Y'all better stop talking bad about Baker.

Next thing ya know, y'all gonna start talking bad about Kevin Love. :heh:
I mean, that pick was bad whether his fault or not and cannot happen. Only issue with his critics is the idea he's a game manager which is kooky talk. In the sense they are using it in a way to rip the kid. All good QBs need to manage the game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a coach you'd like to see your team go after?

A couple, but I kind of go back and forth. I like Fickell, I like Franklin, Cristobal has done a great job at Oregon, so stealing him from them would be good.

But right now, the more I read and hear about him, the more I like Eric Bieniemy. Couldn't ask for better NFL credentials, he's from SoCal and apparently has said in the past that USC is one of the few college jobs that he'd consider.

Considering that he keeps getting passed up for HC gigs in the NFL, he could coach USC for a few years, get the program back up to standards and turn that into an NFL HC position ala Pete Carroll.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, that pick was bad whether his fault or not and cannot happen. Only issue with his critics is the idea he's a game manager which is kooky talk. In the sense they are using it in a way to rip the kid. All good QBs need to manage the game.

I don't see it as ripping him. It's basically what his resume says he is. I heard that he's something like 13-24 in games where the Browns trail in the 2nd half (or something along those lines). That says game manager.

Now, granted, much of that was with a bad team and a bad coach. So, it seems likely that we will see that number change and with it, his status.

But where is resume is right now, compared to other QB's, he's a game manager. That's not a knock on him, it's just what his resume says. The fact that most believe he can become better than a game manager shows that folks know that he's likely hasn't peaked yet and will get better.

Personally, I don't know if he can get to elite status or not, but I'm betting he can get pretty darn close.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it as ripping him. It's basically what his resume says he is. I heard that he's something like 13-24 in games where the Browns trail in the 2nd half (or something along those lines). That says game manager.

Now, granted, much of that was with a bad team and a bad coach. So, it seems likely that we will see that number change and with it, his status.

But where is resume is right now, compared to other QB's, he's a game manager. That's not a knock on him, it's just what his resume says. The fact that most believe he can become better than a game manager shows that folks know that he's likely hasn't peaked yet and will get better.

Personally, I don't know if he can get to elite status or not, but I'm betting he can get pretty darn close.
Bad coach and bad team (really, just bad coach) plays a huge role in that as you mentioned. I just do not get the game manager thing at all. Game manager seems more like a QB who you need to stay out of the way but can win in spite of him.

If I look for definitions of game managers none are what you or tlance (or others) are saying. More like guys who can win without putting up any numbers, cannot make anyone around him better, win in spite of him, cannot get the ball downfield and stick with safe throws, etc. That's not Baker IMO. Far from it (at least with an adult coaching him). One of the earlier knocks against him was if anything he would take too many chances.

Want to tell me he needs to get better to be in the company of the elites and you don't think he'll get there (or can get close)? I can buy that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad coach and bad team (really, just bad coach) plays a huge role in that as you mentioned. I just do not get the game manager thing at all. Game manager seems more like a QB who you need to stay out of the way but can win in spite of him.

If I look for definitions of game managers none are what you or tlance (or others) are saying. More like guys who can win without putting up any numbers, cannot make anyone around him better, win in spite of him, cannot get the ball downfield and stick with safe throws, etc. That's not Baker IMO. Far from it (at least with an adult coaching him). One of the earlier knocks against him was if anything he would take too many chances.

Want to tell me he needs to get better to be in the company of the elites and you don't think he'll get there (or can get close)? I can buy that.

Imo, game manager has a range much like elite QB's have a range. I would Baker in the upper echelon of game managers. These are guys who do more than stay out of the way. The Browns don't win as many games with the backup (or even several other starters around the league) playing instead of Baker.

But they also likely win more with an elite QB like Mahomes, Wilson, Rogers, etc.

Right now, imo, that's the difference. I expect that will change as Baker improves.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple, but I kind of go back and forth. I like Fickell, I like Franklin, Cristobal has done a great job at Oregon, so stealing him from them would be good.

But right now, the more I read and hear about him, the more I like Eric Bieniemy. Couldn't ask for better NFL credentials, he's from SoCal and apparently has said in the past that USC is one of the few college jobs that he'd consider.

Considering that he keeps getting passed up for HC gigs in the NFL, he could coach USC for a few years, get the program back up to standards and turn that into an NFL HC position ala Pete Carroll.

Thanks for the breakdown. And I really like the Bieniemy idea. Not only does he have those important NFL credentials (will help with recruiting) another good recruiting tool for USC would be his success playing. All American and national champ. I hope they offer him the job. He'd be a great hire.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Troy Aikman was a game manager and he’s in the Hall of Fame. It’s really not the insult you’re making it out to be. Mayfield is a top 15 QB in the league. He shouldn’t have to apologize for the fact that he’s got a strong running game behind him and a great OL in front of him. The team is designed in such a way that he doesn’t have to throw 40-45 times a game. At the same time, if he were asked to be that guy, I would question if a team that leaned on him that way would be a playoff team and Super Bowl contender. At the same time, that’s true of all but maybe 5-6 QBs in the league.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Aikman was a game manager and he’s in the Hall of Fame. It’s really not the insult you’re making it out to be. Mayfield is a top 15 QB in the league. He shouldn’t have to apologize for the fact that he’s got a strong running game behind him and a great OL in front of him. The team is designed in such a way that he doesn’t have to throw 40-45 times a game. At the same time, if he were asked to be that guy, I would question if a team that leaned on him that way would be a playoff team and Super Bowl contender. At the same time, that’s true of all but maybe 5-6 QBs in the league.
Who knows but he did get the Browns 6-7 in his rookie season with a bad coach and a team coming off zero wins. He would definitely play more erratic like say, Brett Favre, but we saw him do it in Oklahoma. Yeah it's college but he has a ton of arm talent he was just blessed with Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt and great OL now. Like you said, I'm sure he is fine with that. The only thing I care about is he can lead this team deep in the playoffs and eventually perhaps a SB.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, game manager has a range much like elite QB's have a range. I would Baker in the upper echelon of game managers. These are guys who do more than stay out of the way. The Browns don't win as many games with the backup (or even several other starters around the league) playing instead of Baker.

But they also likely win more with an elite QB like Mahomes, Wilson, Rogers, etc.

Right now, imo, that's the difference. I expect that will change as Baker improves.
totally agree with that....other than it having anything to do with being a game manager.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Aikman was a game manager because he did not throw the ball downfield a lot. Really didn't even pass a lot or for a lot of yards. Baker not afraid to chuck it and there were games he was asked to win with his arm.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From week 1. Not proof of any of these discussions. Just something I saw. Love the "expected" stats......