• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Fickell I'm glad he gotta second chance at coaching. He wasn't ready in 2011 to be a HC. Tricky Tressel's cover-up of the Tat 5 left Ohio State with few options. But since he got to Cincy he's proven he's a pretty good coach.

Finebaum says USC should be going after James Franklin first, followed by Mario Cristobal from Oregon.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why's that? Just because Oklahoma is better now? Is there another reason?
OU is better, has been better, and will be better. Not a contest honestly. Now going to the SEC will have a to be determined affect I guess. The Univetsity of Oklahoma is the pro sport in this state, simply not possible to get more support than Riley has here.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is better, has been better, and will be better. Not a contest honestly. Now going to the SEC will have a to be determined affect I guess. The Univetsity of Oklahoma is the pro sport in this state, simply not possible to get more support than Riley has here.

Yes, yes, we know.

And the Thunder job is better than the Lakers and if you had a MLB team that job would be better than the Dodgers and if you had an NFL team that job would be better than the Rams...

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, yes, we know.

And the Thunder job is better than the Lakers and if you had a MLB team that job would be better than the Dodgers and if you had an NFL team that job would be better than the Rams...
Nope, none of that is close to true. Nothing homerish about my statement, I provided a pretty thorough espn article on the subject. It’s just a better job all things comsidered.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Oklahoma is the better job than USC right now. If we were talking in the Carroll, Bush, Leinart days...USC would probably top almost all jobs.

But I also will say it would create a different challenge to get USC back on top, not saying he would take the job but it would be interesting. I don't see it happening.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Oklahoma is the better job than USC right now. If we were talking in the Carroll, Bush, Leinart days...USC would probably top almost all jobs.

But I also will say it would create a different challenge to get USC back on top, not saying he would take the job but it would be interesting. I don't see it happening.
Lots of things go in to making OU a better job, it’s not just a who’s better thing. Which is the better job doesn’t really change easily, look how many coaches USC has had since Carroll. That’s what I’m talking about.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Denver was my play of the week because of it. I think the Giants have a legit shot this week because of the Redskin QB situation.

Unfortunately you might be right.

However, that WFT defensive front is nasty. They could easily produce a 3-4 TO game from the G-men and get the W without a whole lot from the offense.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, it just seems the term game manager gets thrown around a lot. Often at QBs someone wants to throw shade on. Used to be the ultimate game manager QB was Trent Dilfer and how he "led" the Ravens. Baker is nothing like Dilfer. If anything, it used to be the complaints on Baker were for things he did that were the opposite of being a game manager. Took too many chance, for instance.

Guy is one of the best deep ball passers and make a number of throws downfield. Doesn't scream game manager to me. Doesn't mean he has or will reach elite status but this attempt to knock him just doesn't add up from what I see in him. I think the term better describes, say, Brady, much better than it does baker.....and that's not a knock on Brady.

I am not using it to throw shade.

A top QB is one that can go out and win a game when nothing else is working.

A good game manager can win when he has favorable script and play calling on his side, but tends to struggle when he doesn’t.

That is all.

Has nothing to do with throwing deep or not, IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, get a good coach and USC could be better again, like they were under Carrol. Thinking if a guy has west Coast roots he's choosing USC over Oklahoma, too. Did you block out the pre-Stoops era after Switzer? The 5-year stretch where they were 23-33-1?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have a feeling if a coach believed in himself and both good chance he chooses USC.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, get a good coach and USC could be better again, like they were under Carrol. Thinking if a guy has west Coast roots he's choosing USC over Oklahoma, too. Did you block out the pre-Stoops era after Switzer? The 5-year stretch where they were 23-33-1?
You are not understanding, it’s not a matter of how good a program is at any given time. Read the Espn article I posted. Lots of factors. Job security, support, other games in town, ability to succeed, etc. The stretch you mentioned makes my point actually.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not using it to throw shade.

A top QB is one that can go out and win a game when nothing else is working.

A good game manager can win when he has favorable script and play calling on his side, but tends to struggle when he doesn’t.

That is all.

Has nothing to do with throwing deep or not, IMO.
Fair assessment of the term....but the only time Baker has really struggled was when Freddie was his coach (other than a couple games first half of last season which happens to any QB). Other than that he has been better than expected every season going back to his college days if that counts for anything.

Not sure how this script was favorable.....guy took over a team that had just gone 1-31 with an OC trying to undermine the HC to take his job, HC was fired and still set the rookie record for TD passes and had the Browns looking relevant.....until the disaster known as Freddie was put in charge.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair assessment of the term....but the only time Baker has really struggled was when Freddie was his coach (other than a couple games first half of last season which happens to any QB). Other than that he has been better than expected every season going back to his college days if that counts for anything.

Not sure how this script was favorable.....guy took over a team that had just gone 1-31 with an OC trying to undermine the HC to take his job, HC was fired and still set the rookie record for TD passes and had the Browns looking relevant.....until the disaster known as Freddie was put in charge.

That is all distant past. I am not talking about the past. I am talking about game script.

What happened 4 years ago has nothing to do with how Baker plays today.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not understanding, it’s not a matter of how good a program is at any given time. Read the Espn article I posted. Lots of factors. Job security, support, other games in town, ability to succeed, etc. The stretch you mentioned makes my point actually.
Not sure how that is the case as far as stretch I mentioned.

Did you not notice USC also in tier 1? Of the criteria needed for tier 1, where is USC lacking where Oklahoma is superior other than OU football only game in town? Win and you will have job security. Don't and you wont. Not much different at OU than USC. Hell, look how long they let Helton stick around.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would wager I’ve seen Mayfield play more than anyone here. There is definitely one thing I will give him elite status at and that is leading a team. He is as good at that as anyone and he comes by it naturally.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how that is the case as far as stretch I mentioned.

Did you not notice USC also in tier 1? Of the criteria needed for tier 1, where is USC lacking where Oklahoma is superior other than OU football only game in town? Win and you will have job security. Don't and you wont. Not much different at OU than USC. Hell, look how long they let Helton stick around.
The stretch you mentioned just showed they didn’t have a quality coach. As soon as Stoops came, boom, right back where they were. Very few programs grant that opportunity.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is all distant past. I am not talking about the past. I am talking about game script.

What happened 4 years ago has nothing to do with how Baker plays today.
I mean, he played well in the past with pretty bad coaching as a rookie. Played really well last year when he finally had a coach who was an adult. Now, for the first time, he gets to play in the same system in back-to-back years and there isn't a good chance he gets even better (sure looked like he did Sunday)?

what about last season? Once the entire O figured things out in this offense where did it seem like he struggled?