• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the shit going on today with kids and think...I'm really glad my kids are all grown.

I worry some about the grandkids, but so far so good. Oldest grandkid just turned 13 and so far, haven't seen anything beyond the normal 13 year old nonsense...but then he knows better because his Mom (the middle daughter) ain't havin' it. lol

Best thing any parent can do for their kid, IMO, is wait as long as possible before getting them a phone.

My oldest is in 9th grade and she just got her first this year.

Kids at my school getting them in Kindergarten and 1st Grade.

What are we doing here people?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best thing any parent can do for their kid, IMO, is wait as long as possible before getting them a phone.

no reason for a kid to have a phone before like 11 12 imo

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

No productive one anyway.

all my sons friends he hangs with he does so through the parents. So what are we getting them. phones for when we are the ones setting that up?

We let him play on our phone when we are out or something other than that he gets a switch if he wants to watch the stupid yotube videos. But we have yet to let him loose on the internet.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all my sons friends he hangs with he does so through the parents. So what are we getting them. phones for when we are the ones setting that up?

We let him play on our phone when we are out or something other than that he gets a switch if he wants to watch the stupid yotube videos. But we have yet to let him loose on the internet.

Internet is a scary place.

And it is nearly impossible to monitor what kids are doing when they have their own devices.

Today’s 9 year olds are more socially aware than my generation was at 14. And that is not a good thing.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Internet is a scary place.

And it is nearly impossible to monitor what kids are doing when they have their own devices.

Today’s 9 year olds are more socially aware than my generation was at 14. And that is not a good thing.

nope

let them focus on their own development and lives. they have a whole adult life ahead of them to worry about the other stuff.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This generation of parent can’t say no and they try too hard to be their kids friends instead of a parent and it starts way too early. Parents read articles about how important emotional and mental health is and it manifests in avoiding conflict that is often needed to parent. My kid loves us but there were days that she hated us and quite frankly I’m proud of that. It’s evidence I’ve done my job.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This generation of parent can’t say no and they try too hard to be their kids friends instead of a parent and it starts way too early. Parents read articles about how important emotional and mental health is and it manifests in avoiding conflict that is often needed to parent. My kid loves us but there were days that she hated us and quite frankly I’m proud of that. It’s evidence I’ve done my job.

I assume it's coming in the near future but my son hasn't even asked us for a phone yet and he's approaching 9. 11 is the absolute earliest I'm considering it. Maybe for a phone only plan but data is a ways off.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume it's coming in the near future but my son hasn't even asked us for a phone yet and he's approaching 9. 11 is the absolute earliest I'm considering it. Maybe for a phone only plan but data is a ways off.
Parents like the Life 360 app that allows them to track their kid’s whereabouts once they spend more time away from parents as they grow up. That’s the value that we saw in the phone. My daughter got one for her 12th birthday and what prompted it was a poorly communicated cancelled basketball practice. We just did normal drop off. Luckily it happened to two other kids as well, one had a phone and she remembered my cell phone number we had taught her to use. That night we said she gets a phone for her birthday.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My coworker just gave her daughter a phone at the age of 5 and her own TikTok account. It’s bad out here

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been going on since the 90's when emphasis started changing from "life lessons" and self-esteem became most important. I was running a program for at risk youth at the time. My boss used to talk about how these kids have low self-esteem. I used to tell her...that's not what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing is that they have too much self-esteem and think nothing they do is wrong.

Funny story from that time...Most of the kids that I worked with were referrals from the local police departments. I had worked out a deal with a nearby jail and would periodically take a group of kids for a tour to see where they were headed. It never failed, we'd be driving back and several of the kids would be talking smack about how they can keep doing stuff but won't end up there because they weren't dumb like them.

I'd pull the van over and ask "Who can tell me what you all have in common with them?" Of course, they would all say "Nothing". To which I'd reply..."You all got caught". It was always a quiet ride the rest of the way. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had been rumored to be headed to USC but I guess he changed his mind. He will give them a solid game managing qb for a year but he’s not an overly talented guy.
Hoping Brown or Noland beats him out....but at least someone there if Brown keeps getting hurt/isn't good and/or the FR not ready.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping Brown or Noland beats him out....but at least someone there if Brown keeps getting hurt/isn't good and/or the FR not ready.

there is a zero.zero percent chance of Brown beating him out.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
greater is underselling it

There is a better chance of Martians landing on Earth and enslaving humanity than Devin Brown beating out Will Howard and Noland next year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a greater chance of Devin Brown not being on the team than him being the starting qb next year.
If he is not willing to fight for the job this is true. But also true many thought he beat out McCord so if willing to fight it's kooky talk to say no shot. Howard a strong favorite? I agree with that.

That said, assuming we return a lot on D someone better step up at QB as the D should be elite again. I don't really care who it is.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Brown is injury prone. He can't stay on the field in limited time. He hasn't had a chance to prove himself no doubt but I highly doubt he will offer anything close to what howard provides. Howard has some damn good speed for being 6'5" 240 and he can take some hits. He has improved as a passer but I think he can grow even more in this offense. Plus he will have much more talent than he did at K-St. I would expect more from him and he has leadership. I feel for Brown but it is what it is-unfortunate. Can't expect Noland to do anything more than sit out the year and reshirt so they have him for a couple years 2 or 3.