• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FDU won 4 games last season.

Losing 3 years in a row to lesser teams is a sign of bad coaching.....not having your team prepared.

And I totally disagree that is a sign of bad coaching.

Couldn’t disagree more.

Lots of variables in play in the NCAA basketball tournament.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man. Jay Wright used to get the same flack and look how he turned out.
Jay has never been as bad as Painter. He had a handful of round one exits but it’s sandwiched around sweet 16 teams. His early round 1 losing teams also were as mostly 5-8 seeds.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What FDU did last season has zero bearing on this season. They got a lot of new guys.

If you fire him it means you think you can replace him with someone better.

Good luck with that.

Had Purdue lost 4-5 more games each year and earned a middle seed before losing in the 1st round, you wouldn’t be calling for Painter’s job.

That is backwards logic. Just like the people who try to claim an NBA Finals loss is a stain.
Yep basically. Weird shit happens in march. He still usually get his team to the 2nd week of the tourney frequently enough for his job to be safe. Purdue isn't some powerhouse that need final 4 appearances. Sweet 16 appearances sprinkled in with an elite 8 run is good enough

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay has never been as bad as Painter. He had a handful of round one exits but it’s sandwiched around sweet 16 teams. His early round 1 losing teams also were as mostly 5-8 seeds.

And who are you replacing him with?

Purdue is a good job.

But it isn’t top tier where you would expect anyone to want it.

Most likely case you replace him with a downgrade.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see it too.

Just think it is so hard for them to do it.

Playing against lesser competition for 2 months leading up to the tourney is a big disadvantage in preparedness.

A couple of seasons ago I thought it was Gonzaga's year. But they gotta reality check in the title game from Baylor.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What FDU did last season has zero bearing on this season. They got a lot of new guys.

Good luck with that.

Had Purdue lost 4-5 more games each year and earned a middle seed before losing in the 1st round, you wouldn’t be calling for Painter’s job.

That is backwards logic. Just like the people who try to claim an NBA Finals loss is a stain.
Huge difference between losing in the 1st round of the Tourney and the NBA Finals.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Purdue is a good job.

Yep, it's tough for middle tier/upper middle programs. They can get a good coach who gets them on a good run, but they end up losing them before they can become a "power".

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Purdue is a good job.

I wasn’t saying fire Painter. I was just pushing back on the Jay Wright comparison. I don’t think it applies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge difference between losing in the 1st round of the Tourney and the NBA Finals.

True.

But it's about the coach you can get to replace him. Purdue isn't a destination program, so the quality of coaches they will have to choose from aren't likely to be as good as what they have.

Purdue is a job coaches accept...UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, etc. are jobs coaches pursue.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

But it's about the coach you can get to replace him. Purdue isn't a destination program, so the quality of coaches they will have to choose from aren't likely to be as good as what they have.

Purdue is a job coaches accept...UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, etc. are jobs coaches pursue. <--

Add dook to the list. Although I'm not sure why. I've been to Durham before. The only part of the city I liked was when I left.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good luck with that.

Only MJ stans think that way

But losing in the Eastern finals or 2nd round is okay

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Purdue is a good job.

Yep. I really thought it was time for Thad Matta to go (health wise) but I'd kill to have him back.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I really don’t think it is.

You are looking at the tournament result as if it is the only thing that matters.

Painter has built a program that is perennially in the top 5-10 in all of D1.

That is extremely hard to do.

Yes, you would expect better tournament results for a team as good as Purdue.

But if you fire him you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. He is one of the best in the business.

And by the way, there are plenty of mediocre to bad NBA coaches who have made it to the Finals. NBA Coaches sometimes succeed based on the hand they are dealt from the work of others.

In college, the head coach is also the GM. And sustained high level success is a sign of excellence.

Painter has built a great program in Purdue. Tournament results will follow with patience.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I really don’t think it is.

You are looking at the tournament result as if it is the only thing that matters.

Painter has built a program that is perennially in the top 5-10 in all of D1.

That is extremely hard to do.

Yes, you would expect better tournament results for a team as good as Purdue.

But if you fire him you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. He is one of the best in the business.

And by the way, there are plenty of mediocre to bad NBA coaches who have made it to the Finals. NBA Coaches sometimes succeed based on the hand they are dealt from the work of others.

In college, the head coach is also the GM. And sustained high level success is a sign of excellence.

Painter has built a great program in Purdue. Tournament results will follow with patience.
He has been almost 20 years.

LOL.