• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's Watson's choice if he doesn't report. want leverage? Don't sign a 4 year deal.

However, if Houston plays hardball to that level, they will suffer in free agency (not that they aren't already).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL players as a whole have very little leverage in these situations.

Franchise QBs though? Totally different.

There just isn’t nearly enough supply to meet demand. The Texans and Watson could both continue to play hard ball with each other.

But the reality is that at this point, it is clearly in Houston’s best interest to trade him. They are not fixing this relationship. The return they can get by dealing him today is astronomical. It will only go down from here. And they aren’t in position to win anytime soon, so they might as well reset with players who want to be there.
sure....if they get an offer they like. because they are not in position to win his sitting doesn't hurt them and might even help. Year wouldn't count toward FA and he would not be closer to getting his big money from his extension.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, if Houston plays hardball to that level, they will suffer in free agency (not that they aren't already).
You keep saying this, but I just don't agree. As mentioned, when many thought the Browns had an awful reputation (and much of it was deserved) coming off terrible seasons they were able to sign the top center, guard, RT and TE on the market.

and would think more would rather live in Houston than Cleveland.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep saying this, but I just don't agree. As mentioned, when many thought the Browns had an awful reputation (and much of it was deserved) coming off terrible seasons they were able to sign the top center, guard, RT and TE on the market.

Damn didn't realize those signings were the top players available at their spots. This off season I hope the focus is defense. That jackass Haslam's still satying outta the way right? You get more Browns info than I do out here.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn didn't realize those signings were the top players available at their spots. This off season I hope the focus is defense. That jackass Haslam's still satying outta the way right? You get more Browns info than I do out here.
Haslam has been staying out of the way since Dorsey came. Only reason he got back in the way was when Dorsey wanted to keep Freddie and he kicked him to the curb (rightly).

I suspect he'll let Berry and the boys do their thing unless they give him a reason not to. so far, they haven't.

Also believe the focus will be on defense. I'm fascinated to learn what their approach will be in FA with a decent amount of cap room, but not as much as if the cap didn't go down. ...of course that means everyone has less and some are way over the cap.

My guess is they sign a stud defender early in FA. Probably a DE, LB or DB...might be their priority in that order.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haslam has been staying out of the way since Dorsey came. Only reason he got back in the way was when Dorsey wanted to keep Freddie and he kicked him to the curb (rightly).

I suspect he'll let Berry and the boys do their thing unless they give him a reason not to. so far, they haven't.

Also believe the focus will be on defense. I'm fascinated to learn what their approach will be in FA with a decent amount of cap room, but not as much as if the cap didn't go down. ...of course that means everyone has less and some are way over the cap.

My guess is they sign a stud defender early in FA. Probably a DE, LB or DB...might be their priority in that order.

Don't know what they'll do obviously. Just hope they make the right moves.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Terrible seasons are much different than terrible relations with star players.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure....if they get an offer they like. because they are not in position to win his sitting doesn't hurt them and might even help. Year wouldn't count toward FA and he would not be closer to getting his big money from his extension.

But what is the long game for Houston if they keep him?

You need your QB to be the leader of your franchise. If he is disgruntled, he isn’t going to be that guy.

What they want is the DeSean Watson they have had in the past. I don’t think they get that DeSean Watson back if they force him to stay.

Maybe 2 years from now he won’t even return a 1st rounder. You just don’t know.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what they'll do obviously. Just hope they make the right moves.
At the very least we have a FO that to this point have to give benefit of the doubt.

So refreshing.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible seasons are much different than terrible relations with star players.
What about how they treated Watt? By the amount he signed for it seems like someone would have offered at least something in a trade for him. Could have sent him where he might not want to go but instead released him so he could pick where he went.

Didn't they do him a solid?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what is the long game for Houston if they keep him?

You need your QB to be the leader of your franchise. If he is disgruntled, he isn’t going to be that guy.

What they want is the DeSean Watson they have had in the past. I don’t think they get that DeSean Watson back if they force him to stay.

Maybe 2 years from now he won’t even return a 1st rounder. You just don’t know.
If he comes back and does not play well how, exactly, would that help him get what he wants? Less likely they deal him.

You get I agree best case is they deal him......if they get what they want?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about how they treated Watt? By the amount he signed for it seems like someone would have offered at least something in a trade for him. Could have sent him where he might not want to go but instead released him so he could pick where he went.

Didn't they do him a solid?
I believe Watt had played out his contract in Houston. Now they could have tried to franchise him or something but I’m pretty sure his contract was done.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man now the cardinals Fitzgerald as a leader on offense and Watt on defense. That team is not going to lack for character that’s for certain.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he comes back and does not play well how, exactly, would that help him get what he wants? Less likely they deal him.

You get I agree best case is they deal him......if they get what they want?

Actually it probably does help him. The better he plays the more Houston insists they need to keep him.

He is signed for 4 years. He wants to leave. He is almost disincentivized to play well.

I am not suggesting he would tank either. But if your heart isn’t in it as an athlete, you probably aren’t going to perform too well.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Watt had played out his contract in Houston. Now they could have tried to franchise him or something but I’m pretty sure his contract was done.
Nope. Reason he could sign now and now wait for FA was because, in fact, he was released.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it probably does help him. The better he plays the more Houston insists they need to keep him.

He is signed for 4 years. He wants to leave. He is almost disincentivized to play well.

I am not suggesting he would tank either. But if your heart isn’t in it as an athlete, you probably aren’t going to perform too well.
Everything you say is or could be true...but does not change the fact Houston holds more cards. IF they get what they want? Great...move him. But no need to trade him just because he asked (or demanded).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if a Tribe fan but have you heard what's going on with them? Yikes.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if a Tribe fan but have you heard what's going on with them? Yikes.

Going on with who? The comment of mine you responded to was about the Browns. You mentioned the Tribe. If it's about them due to Dolan I can see him getting rid of any talent the team has left.

"not sure if a Tribe fan"

That's what threw me off. But I'll say this. I miss going to games at the Jake. Refuse to call it ___________ Field.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going on with who? The comment of mine you responded to was about the Browns. You mentioned the Tribe. If it's about them due to Dolan I can see him getting rid of any talent the team has left.

"not sure if a Tribe fan"

That's what threw me off. But I'll say this. I miss going to games at the Jake. Refuse to call it ___________ Field.
Just replied to talk to you, guess could have done an @

Now that you mention it, I recall some Tribe comments by you so should have known.

don't know all the details as didn't research it and was only listening for a few minutes but what I can gather is they are in the Mickey Callaway mess. Seems he was harrassing women here and the FO/Tito maybe knew and looked the other way.