• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just replied to talk to you, guess could have done an @

Now that you mention it, I recall some Tribe comments by you so should have known.

don't know all the details as didn't research it and was only listening for a few minutes but what I can gather is they are in the Mickey Callaway mess. Seems he was harrassing women here and the FO/Tito maybe knew and looked the other way.

This is the first I've heard of it. Gonna see what articles I can find.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's not good. Speaking of Tito will he stick around and manage the dumpsterfire that is our Indians this season? I wish there was a way the league could for Dolan to sell the team.
If he's healthy - and indications are he is..well, healthy enough - he'll manage. Has in ST so far.

It would suck if this situation is so bad they have no choice but to dump the top Execs. Only positive is maybe that forces Dolan to sell as what other quality GM would work for him who had other options?

such a shame, as we'd have been a title favorite the last half decade and now if he had a will to win like the other 2 owners here.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's healthy - and indications are he is..well, healthy enough - he'll manage. Has in ST so far.

It would suck if this situation is so bad they have no choice but to dump the top Execs. Only positive is maybe that forces Dolan to sell as what other quality GM would work for him who had other options?

such a shame, as we'd have been a title favorite the last half decade and now if he had a will to win like the other 2 owners here.

Dammit! You responded to me before I changed what I said. I should have moved quicker. Just too slow today.

Didn't take long to find an article. Report: Mickey Callaway's predatory behavior was well-known in Cleveland, Mets organizations

Some parts of the article. His predatory behaviors toward women goes back to at least 2010. And it got worse when he was hired as a pitching coach by the Indians in 2013. Chris Antonetti, Mike Chernoff & Fanconi were aware of at least one incident of questionable behavior. The team put a statement out about Calloway in 2017.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit! You responded to me before I changed what I said. I should have moved quicker. Just too slow today.

Didn't take long to find an article. Report: Mickey Callaway's predatory behavior was well-known in Cleveland, Mets organizations

Some parts of the article. His predatory behaviors toward women goes back to at least 2010. And it got worse when he was hired as a pitching coach by the Indians in 2013. Chris Antonetti, Mike Chernoff & Fanconi were aware of at least one incident of questionable behavior. The team put a statement out about Calloway in 2017.
Francona put out a statement asking for patience, but does not look good.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Francona put out a statement asking for patience, but does not look good.

It looks awful. And anyone in the organization that had knowledge of Callaway's actions and did little to nothing need to go. The people in charge should have done the right thing from the very beginning. But it's looking like they didn't. I'll be interested to find out if Dolan knew anything about this.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you say is or could be true...but does not change the fact Houston holds more cards. IF they get what they want? Great...move him. But no need to trade him just because he asked (or demanded).

Right. They don’t need to trade him because he asked to be traded.

But it is clearly in their best interest to trade a highly valuable asset who doesn’t want to be there.

WFT had a similar situation play out with Trent Williams a couple years ago. He said he would never play for them again. They refused to deal him out of spite.

Rumor is teams were offering a 1st when he original made his demand. They ended up getting a 3rd and 5th after playing hardball for a year.

If Watson calls their bluff (I think he just might) it will tremendously decrease Houston’s leverage and therefor Watson’s trade value.

I think he retains more of his value than an injury prone tackle, but still.

Learn from WFT. Trade him for a premium because you can, not because you have to.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. They don’t need to trade him because he asked to be traded.

But it is clearly in their best interest to trade a highly valuable asset who doesn’t want to be there.

WFT had a similar situation play out with Trent Williams a couple years ago. He said he would never play for them again. They refused to deal him out of spite.

Rumor is teams were offering a 1st when he original made his demand. They ended up getting a 3rd and 5th after playing hardball for a year.

If Watson calls their bluff (I think he just might) it will tremendously decrease Houston’s leverage and therefor Watson’s trade value.

I think he retains more of his value than an injury prone tackle, but still.

Learn from WFT. Trade him for a premium because you can, not because you have to.
Ok and IF they did that then that's foolish. But we don't know that they will be made a more than fair offer and turn it down. That's totally different than not dealing him UNLESS they get what they want.

Not sure what you are really arguing about here.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok and IF they did that then that's foolish. But we don't know that they will be made a more than fair offer and turn it down. That's totally different than not dealing him UNLESS they get what they want.

Not sure what you are really arguing about here.

Whatever offers they are getting now,

They will be less in a year if he sits out.

What I am saying is that they are trying to save face by playing hardball. And it isn’t in their best interest to do that.

Like the Spurs saying they wouldn’t trade Kawhi to LAL no matter what.

Well, had they traded him to LAL, they probably get a better return that fits their next window AND there is a chance Kawhi would have left LA in free agency and really screwed them.

Teams who worry about petty stuff only end up hurting themselves

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever offers they are getting now,

They will be less in a year if he sits out.

What I am saying is that they are trying to save face by playing hardball. And it isn’t in their best interest to do that.

Like the Spurs saying they wouldn’t trade Kawhi to LAL no matter what.

Well, had they traded him to LAL, they probably get a better return that fits their next window AND there is a chance Kawhi would have left LA in free agency and really screwed them.

Teams who worry about petty stuff only end up hurting themselves

Yep, all those Lakers kids would be Spurs coached by Pop instead of Pelicans.

Pop and the Spurs may have outsmarted themselves. Imagine if that trade happened, Kawhi left the Lakers to sign with the Clippers after a year and Pop is kicking the Lakers asses with their own former players. lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone hear about this? An article I ran across. Did UCLA really turn down Michael Jordan

Bill Walton might have been tripping on mushrooms when he said this.

MJ wanted to play at UCLA Walton is saying. Part of the article.

Michael Jordan wanted to play at UCLA, Walton insisted, but UCLA told him "nah". When pressed by play-by-play man Dave Pasch, Walton reiterated that Jordan preferred the Bruins to his home-state N. Carolina until former UCLA coach Larry Farmer said, "there's no reason for you to come here. We don't have space for you."

If this is true it's really funny.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone hear about this? An article I ran across. Did UCLA really turn down Michael Jordan

Bill Walton might have been tripping on mushrooms when he said this.

MJ wanted to play at UCLA Walton is saying. Part of the article.

Michael Jordan wanted to play at UCLA, Walton insisted, but UCLA told him "nah". When pressed by play-by-play man Dave Pasch, Walton reiterated that Jordan preferred the Bruins to his home-state N. Carolina until former UCLA coach Larry Farmer said, "there's no reason for you to come here. We don't have space for you."

If this is true it's really funny.

That stuff does happen. Not sure it happened in this case, but it is possible.

I don’t think MJ was a universally recruited prospect at that time.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That stuff does happen. Not sure it happened in this case, but it is possible.

I don’t think MJ was a universally recruited prospect at that time.

I typed in- 1981 H.S. basketball recruiting class. According to basketball.realgm-.com MJ was Parade 1st team All American his sr. year.

But no doubt that kinda stuff happens a lot. Look at Larry Bird. He started off at IU. Years later Bobby Knight admitted he made some mistakes with Bird when he let him slip away to Indiana State.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typed in- 1981 H.S. basketball recruiting class. According to basketball.realgm-.com MJ was Parade 1st team All American his sr. year.

But no doubt that kinda stuff happens a lot. Look at Larry Bird. He started off at IU. Years later Bobby Knight admitted he made some mistakes with Bird when he let him slip away to Indiana State.

Depending on the age of the previous group, they simply may not have had any scholarships available.

Having said that, it's Walton...so you can't rule out hallucinations.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the age of the previous group, they simply may not have had any scholarships available.

Having said that, it's Walton...so you can't rule out hallucinations.

Walton's one weird guy. That's why when I originally mentioned this topic I said he might have been on mushrooms. A couple of seasons ago Walton was in town to call a CU game for the 12 Pac network. Throughout out the game he just kept going on and on about how great and beautiful Boulder is. Even calling it the epicenter of the universe. He says some of the strangest things.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walton's one weird guy. That's why when I originally mentioned this topic I said he might have been on mushrooms. A couple of seasons ago Walton was in town to call a CU game for the 12 Pac network. Throughout out the game he just kept going on and on about how great and beautiful Boulder is. Even calling it the epicenter of the universe. He says some of the strangest things.

When he's calling a game that I'm watching I do on of 2 things...smoke weed while watching the game...or turn the sound off. lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he's calling a game that I'm watching I do on of 2 things...smoke weed while watching the game...or turn the sound off. lol

Hey, you stoleded my Bill Walton game plan. That mute button sure comes in handy on NFL Sundays when those two drunks Aikman & Buck call games too.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, you stoleded my Bill Walton game plan. That mute button sure comes in handy on NFL Sundays when those two drunks Aikman & Buck call games too.
lol

I'd expect that game plan is used by most people who watch games that Walton is announcing.

Used to be, I wouldn't listen to him at all. But then I thought, maybe I'll try getting good and stoned while watching...under those conditions \, he's pretty funny.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You and @DJ will appreciate this being fellow foodies. Gonna make my own pastrami. Takes a couple of days to make. Shooting for Sunday for it to be done.