• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the definition of institutional racism.

It still not institutional racism. It's not done to hold anyone down. Black people with power hire other black people. Mexicans with power hire other Mexicans. It's what people of all ethnicities do. It's basically hiring who you know. Everyone who can, does it.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn’t intentional. It is even active discrimination.

White people disproportionally hold positions of power because they always have. So other whites people tend to have an upper hand.

Really not that hard to understand.
Comes down to what is considered disproportional. Blacks make up 12.3% of the population right?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still not institutional racism. It's not done to hold anyone down. Black people with power hire other black people. Mexicans with power hire other Mexicans. It's what people of all ethnicities do. It's basically hiring who you know. Everyone who can, does it.

Bro, that is what it is though.

Odds are stacked against people of color because there aren’t as many in position to make those decisions.

That is literally what that term means. That is institutional racism.

You are just having trouble with the word racism. It isn’t the same as intentional overt acts of racism.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn’t intentional. It is even active discrimination.

White people disproportionally hold positions of power because they always have. So other whites people tend to have an upper hand.

Really not that hard to understand.
Yep.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comes down to what is considered disproportional. Blacks make up 12.3% of the population right?
Around 70% of the League is made of black folks....and a lot of them go into coaching but Andy Reid's son gets a job because of that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

69% of NFL players are black. 35% of NFL assistants are black. 6.7% of head coaches are black.

There should at least be a higher percentage of black head coaches than 13% considering how many black people play and coach at lower levels.

I am not saying it should be 70%, but it should be a lot higher than 7%.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro, that is what it is though.

No, that's not what it is. It's hiring who know and who you know can get the job done. The first thing virtually anyone does when they are in a position to hire people is think "Who do I know who can do the job?" People do that because they believe they will work better together with someone they know..

By your logic, if a white person hires a black person because they know them and believe they can work well together, that's not "institutional racism", but if he hires another white person for the same reason, it is.

Last edited:

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Around 70% of the League is made of black folks....and a lot of them go into coaching but Andy Reid's son gets a job because of that.
Sorry but I just don’t see the parallel. Ex players are not necessarily good coaches. I’m all for opportunity though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
69% of NFL players are black. 35% of NFL assistants are black. 6.7% of head coaches are black.

It may also be that a lot black people, especially former players, aren't choosing to go into coaching. Many of them are choosing to go into media/broadcasting.

If more black folks are choosing to go into media/broadcasting than in coaching...your going to have a smaller pool of candidates.

Not every discrepancy is explained by racism.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There should at least be a higher percentage of black head coaches than 13% considering how many black people play and coach at lower levels.

I am not saying it should be 70%, but it should be a lot higher than 7%.
I just think it is demeaning to people like Mike Tomlin honestly. It matters not what color he is. Just because more players are black does not mean there should be more black coaches, or less or anything to do with race. That’s my opinion anyway.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that's not what it is. It's hiring who know and who you know can get the job done. The first thing virtually anyone does when they are in a position to hire people is think "Who do I know who can do the job?" People do that because they believe they will work better together.

By your logic, if a white person hires a black person because they know them and believe they can work well together, that's not "institutional racism", but if he hires another white person for the same reason, it is.

It isn’t “my logic”

I am trying to help you understand what institutional racism means.

Clearly you don’t.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it is demeaning to people like Mike Tomlin honestly. It matters not what color he is. Just because more players are black does not mean there should be more black coaches, or less or anything to do with race. That’s my opinion anyway.

Exactly. Tomlin is a great coach, because he's a great coach. His skin color has nothing to do with it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t “my logic”

Clearly you don’t.

Typical white liberal bullshit response because you can't refute what was said. Here's a thought...maybe it's you that doesn't understand.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn’t demeaning to Tomlin in any way. And he clearly doesn’t agree with you because he has publicly commented that the NFL’s diversity is a joke.

I don’t believe that any individual coaching decision is made based on race. That isn’t the issue. The issue is that overwhelmingly the white owner feels more comfortable with the white coach leading his franchise. And the issue in the NFL is a microcosm of the larger issue in American society.

All I am saying is that people need to be aware of it instead of pretending it doesn’t exist.

• Bullseye
Reactions: DJ

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t “my logic”

Clearly you don’t.
Ok please tell us how it’s fixed then without violating people’s rights. I have the right to hire who I want and you better believe who I hire is going to be who I think is the best candidate. Hiring anyone strictly because of race is not fair to anyone, especially that person.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical white liberal bullshit response because you can't refute what was said. Here's a thought...maybe it's you that doesn't understand.

Bullshit.

It is an educated response. Nothing to do with politics.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok please tell us how it’s fixed then without violating people’s rights. I have the right to hire who I want and you better believe who I hire is going to be who I think is the best candidate. Hiring anyone strictly because of race is not fair to anyone, especially that person.

There is no quick fix.

But to start, people like you need to recognize that there is an unlevel playing field.

Once everyone can at least agree on that, we can begin to move forward.

And no, nobody is going to tell you who you have to hire.

But when you are an NFL franchise and you hire somebody like Britt Reid, you damn well better be right.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no quick fix.

But to start, people like you need to recognize that there is an unlevel playing field.

Once everyone can at least agree on that, we can begin to move forward.

And no, nobody is going to tell you who you have to hire.

But when you are an NFL franchise and you hire somebody like Britt Reid, you damn well better be right.
I just don’t think it’s as unlevel as you think. When talking about a specific quality of anyone, whether it be sex, race or whatever, the numbers themselves create what is there. Since there are 6 to 7 times as many whites as blacks in the first place, boom, yes the playing field is unlevel if what you choose to look at is simply race.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t think it’s as unlevel as you think. When talking about a specific quality of anyone, whether it be sex, race or whatever, the numbers themselves create what is there. Since there are 6 to 7 times as many whites as blacks in the first place, boom, yes the playing field is unlevel if what you choose to look at is simply race.

Well, it isn’t 6 or 7 times, the 2019 census had it at 5 times.

Yes, the numbers are part of it, but it is more than that. For the record, poor white people face very similar obstacles to that of poor black people. It is a lot more than just race.

But race is part of it. Even though not intentionally so in most cases.