• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors vs Golden State Warriors

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next man up. Nobody has benefited from injurys in the playoffs the last few years more than the Warriors so its hard to feel real sorry for them.

Yep not feeling sorry for them at all. The only injury I kinda felt sorry for was Cousins because of his injury last year.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep not feeling sorry for them at all. The only injury I kinda felt sorry for was Cousins because of his injury last year.
I don't feel sorry for any of these millionaires.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next man up. Nobody has benefited from injurys in the playoffs the last few years more than the Warriors so its hard to feel real sorry for them.

And no one should feel sorry for them, as injuries are part of the game and because they keep winning anyway. It's going to be a challenge to finish off the Raptors, but I doubt the Warriors feel sorry for themselves.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to be said for this, but something also to be said for culture not mattering if not for the extremely talented players he has. I believe winning promotes a better culture. Not the other way around.

Didn't you say the Cavs were more talented than the Warriors pre-Durant? Haven't you also said that Klay and Dray are mostly products of the Warrior system?

Heck, I even think the Cavs were more talented. But the Warriors were the better team because of their system and the way the pieces fit.

I believe Kerr deserves the credit for putting that system together and putting guys into correct roles to maximize that talent.

Remember, under Marc Jackson Iguodala and former all star David Lee were starters. Kerr's decision to bring Iggy off the bench as 6th man and essentially bench former all star David Lee for Draymond were moves that a lot of coaches would not have made, and also a large part of how the Warrior dynasty began to take shape.

It is not like Kerr took over a team with multiple all stars. Klay and Dray developed into all stars and Steph became MVP in Kerr's system. I think Klay and Dray are great players capable of flourishing in other systems now because of the way they have developed.

But I do not think they would have necessarily developed into the players they are today in other systems under an average NBA coach.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't you say the Cavs were more talented than the Warriors pre-Durant? Haven't you also said that Klay and Dray are mostly products of the Warrior system?

Heck, I even think the Cavs were more talented. But the Warriors were the better team because of their system and the way the pieces fit.

I believe Kerr deserves the credit for putting that system together and putting guys into correct roles to maximize that talent.

Remember, under Marc Jackson Iguodala and former all star David Lee were starters. Kerr's decision to bring Iggy off the bench as 6th man and essentially bench former all star David Lee for Draymond were moves that a lot of coaches would not have made, and also a large part of how the Warrior dynasty began to take shape.

It is not like Kerr took over a team with multiple all stars. Klay and Dray developed into all stars and Steph became MVP in Kerr's system. I think Klay and Dray are great players capable of flourishing in other systems now because of the way they have developed.

But I do not think they would have necessarily developed into the players they are today in other systems under an average NBA coach.

David Griffin really did put together a very talented team. In another time, that Cavs team would've been a dynasty.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk about Kerr creating the culture for the Warriors is completely incorrect. Kerr did not create the culture. I'm sorry, but that's just not the case. There are actually two people who created the culture: Stephen Curry and Andre Iguodala.

Those two players are responsible for creating the culture of sacrifice for the greater good. Yes it was at Kerr's suggestion, but if those two players don't buy in, the Warriors, at least this version, are never created.

Steph had the ball in his hands a ton when he played under Jackson. He was utilized more in the pick and roll and he had pretty much supreme authority to do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. When Kerr came on board, he told Steph he wanted him to play off the ball more. Also he limited the amount of pick and rolls Curry was involved in and was emphasizing more ball movement. It was a complete 180 in his game from the 13-14 season. How many NBA players could you tell them you wanted to change almost everything about the way they play and expect them to be happy about it?

Lastly, Andre was one of the biggest guys who set the tone for the culture. Kerr's first move was to approach Iguodala and tell him that he wanted him to come off the bench. At that point Iguodala was a past all-star, one of the best NBA defenders and a career starter. Andre had to accept this was for the greater good and he did so without complaint. If a guy with Iguodala's respect level was willing to take a backseat in his role, as established as he was, then who else in their right mind could complain? No one.

Here's my take on things:

1) Mark Jackson should be credited with allowing Steph and Klay to flourish, make mistakes and grow into the players they are today. He should also get credit for holding them accountable on defense and establishing that defense is a priority. He should get no more or no less credit than that.

2) Steve Kerr took the team to a whole new level, because of his vision of the team. He came in, changed the entire offense which was predicated around player and ball movement. Kerr himself also has no ego and allows his assistant coaches to give their input, which he often implements. He fully utilizes every tool at his disposal. That's what Kerr is great at. He's also really good at pre and post game adjustments, however like many have said his in-game adjustments are average at best. But mostly what he does is he empowers the players. His relationship with them, the front office, the owner, coaching staff is arguably the best in the business.

Literally everything you mention in this post is part of the culture though.

Of course you need buy in from your stars. But a first year, first time head coach coming in with those ideas needs to be damn good at selling his vision to get the players to buy it.

I believe Kerr's ability to communicate his vision to his players might be his single greatest ability as a coach and also why I credit him just as much for the Warrior culture as I credit Curry.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone on local radio here, Greg Papa, stated that the NBA doesn't drug test players during the Finals and that Klay could use illegal drugs to heal faster. LOL. That's a crazy and stupid thing to say.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you going to become the chairman of your car too??

ROFL....no...I can understand that it is a predominately black sport and if they are uncomfortable with it then it's a minor change at most.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROFL....no...I can understand that it is a predominately black sport and if they are uncomfortable with it then it's a minor change at most.

The complainers are the same folks who didn't like baseball changing the DL to the IL

Things change.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only the uneducated cant differentiate the difference in a word's context. They own the team not the players.

Only the uneducated would take issue with a terminology change that removes a word which has negative connotations for some people.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,869.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was the warriors i wouldnt risk sending durant or thompson out there for tonights game. you may go up 2-1 if u play them but risk further injuring them for the rest of the series

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no one should feel sorry for them, as injuries are part of the game and because they keep winning anyway. It's going to be a challenge to finish off the Raptors, but I doubt the Warriors feel sorry for themselves.

I missed the part where anyone asked anyone to feel sorry for them?
That being said, they'll still win.
#championshipDNA