• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: NBA FINALS!!! SA vs MIA

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so..Anything else you want to tell me about what you know?

Heat look to target Carmelo Anthony
Updated: June 11, 2014, 7:52 PM ET
By Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein | ESPN.com
4823KCOMMENTS192EMAILPRINT
MIAMI -- The Miami Heat's immediate focus remains overcoming a 2-1 NBA Finals deficit to the San Antonio Spurs, but discussions have begun within the organization about trying to grow their so-called Big Three into a Big Four, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that Heat officials and the team's leading players have already started to explore their options for creating sufficient financial flexibility to make an ambitious run at adding New York Knicks scoring machine Carmelo Anthony this summer in free agency.

The mere concept would require the star trio of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to all opt out of their current contracts by the end of the month and likely take further salary reductions in new deals that start next season to give Miami the ability to offer Anthony a representative first-year salary. The Heat also are prevented from making any formal contact with Anthony until July 1 and can do so then only if he opts out of the final year of his current contract. Anthony has until June 23 to notify the Knicks of his intentions, according to sources.

But the success of the Heat's 2010 free-agent bonanza has established them as the NBA's undisputed destination franchise, with owner Micky Arison empowering big-thinking team president Pat Riley to attempt to pull off another coup in the market despite new collective bargaining agreement rules aimed at preventing it.

Sources say internal conversations within the Heat organization about pursuing this course have run concurrently with Miami's bid to win a third consecutive championship, with sources adding that James in particular is likely to try to recoup potential salary sacrificed through fresh off-court business opportunities if the Heat's new dream scenario does come to fruition.

James' off-court business is booming, thanks to a string of investments paying off massively and the prospect of new opportunities in endorsements and entertainment projects promising to expand his wealth significantly in coming years.

In a recent example, while James was leading the Heat to a victory over the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals, sources say the 29-year-old was finalizing what is believed to be the biggest equity cash payout for a professional athlete in history as part of Apple's recent $3 billion purchase of Beats Electronics. Sources briefed on the situation say James realized a profit of more than $30 million in cash and stock in the Beats sale after he had struck a deal to get a small stake in the company at its inception in 2008 in exchange for promoting its high-end headphones.

With cooperation from their stars and role players Udonis Haslem and Chris Andersen, who also possess player options for next season, the Heat could open up in excess of $50 million in cap space this summer and have the most financial flexibility in the league. The only Heat player locked into place for next season is Norris Cole at a salary of $2 million, though Riley will have to contend with a handful of cap holds for pending free agents as well as their upcoming first-round pick in the draft later this month (No. 26 overall).

Ain't happening lol.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carmelo aint coming to Miami. And its best that way.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carmelo aint coming to Miami. And its best that way.

I'm not saying he is, but it is certainly on the table.

I remember 4 years ago when so many people were so certain that James wasn't coming to Miami.:suds:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo ain't coming to the Heat. But can you imagine how hated the Heat would be, if he was on the team?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo ain't coming to the Heat. But can you imagine how hated the Heat would be, if he was on the team?

There's a thread up on the topic , so from now on i'll comment there.

You think all these sudden new reports just fell out of the sky?
This has been brewing for awhile.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 150,921.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Heat couldn't be any more hated to begin with.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you going to hate Durant and burn his jersey in the street in a couple years when he bolts to prob NY/Brooklyn?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Further, the Heat are also the most popular team in the NBA and 6th most popular in all of major sports,
while at the same time being the least popular in the NBA.

The one thing for sure, is there is no middle ground with them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further, the Heat are also the most popular team in the NBA and 6th most popular in all of major sports,
while at the same time being the least popular in the NBA.

The one thing for sure, is there is no middle ground with them.

I don't think Melo is the answer in MIA certainly not as part of a big 4...Wade has been finished for a season or two...just been coasting until the playoffs, but now he can't quite turn it on like he used to...now, when LBJ goes out the OFC bogs down too much.

The Heat have always responded to the challenge...SA has issued a challenge...we'll have to see how MIA responds, but if they lose this series, I think the transition from D Wade has to start.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HEAT's popularity is entirely tied its roster, and specifically Lebron James.
The 2008-2011 Cavaliers were the most popular team in the NBA.

BksBaller was the ONLY Heat fan on the message boards those years.
The entire thing was 99.9999% Laker fans and Cavalier fans.
It was comical seeing the one and only HEAT fan fighting with the giant Cavs fan base.

Only the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks have a big enough local market and national appeal to maintain universal popularity.

If Lebron leaves, the HEAT will plummet towards the bottom of popularity.
And conversely whatever team Lebron chooses, will skyrocket to #1.

NBA fans tend to be the most flakey and front-running bandwagon by a LARGE LARGE margin.
Otherwise the entire world would be 99.99% Chicago Bulls still.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HEAT's popularity is entirely tied its roster, and specifically Lebron James.
The 2008-2011 Cavaliers were the most popular team in the NBA.

BksBaller was the ONLY Heat fan on the message boards those years.
The entire thing was 99.9999% Laker fans and Cavalier fans.
It was comical seeing the one and only HEAT fan fighting with the giant Cavs fan base.

Only the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks have a big enough local market and national appeal to maintain universal popularity.

If Lebron leaves, the HEAT will plummet towards the bottom of popularity.
And conversely whatever team Lebron chooses, will skyrocket to #1.

NBA fans tend to be the most flakey and front-running bandwagon by a LARGE LARGE margin.

I'm a bucks fan and a LeBron fan. Blast me all you want, but i will openly admit it. I enjoy watching him play ball, and want him to succeed as much as possible.

The bucks... well. There isn't much to talk about. i started a thread this year and it more or less got ignored.

hopefully the new owners will help bring things along

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not entirely...the Heat's fan base started with D Wade and exploded with Shaq...kind of sagged a bit until LBJ and it took off again.

I think NBA fans are younger (especially the TV fan) and they do tend to go with the flavor of the month...imo that keeps teams honest...you can't coast knowing 18,000 will be there anyway.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Milwaukee somehow landed Lebron James, they would be the most popular team in the NBA.
There is nothing wrong with it. I have never had any issues with bandwagon fans.

And bandwagon Haters will disappear as well.
Do you think everyone will hate Miami if Lebron leaves and they are a 46 win team??

Oklahoma City/Seattle had zero fans nationally in 2008-2010.
Now, there are a million Thunder diehards as well.
Most of them could not pick out exactly where OKC is on an outline of the OK map.
At least Miami is a place the many fans have visited on vacation.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bandwagon fans...by product of TV...the NBA will always be a player driven league...I remember the early years of the Showtime Lakers...where ever they went (except maybe BOS) Laker fans would be in the stands.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont have an issue with bandwagon fans nor do I have any issue with new heat fans. Everyone joins a fanbase at some time. Hopefully they stick with that team through thick and thin tho. I was born and raised in Miami. I have been a diehard Heat fan since the 1st year and a diehard Fins fan since I can remember. I grew up tho as a Red Wings fan. The Panthers werent around when i was a kid, and as a kid Detroit one of the best teams. They were the best in all the video games and always on TV so i became a fan of them. I do like the Panthers, but I was a kid who was impressionable towards another team because my city didnt have one.

I do NOt like fans tho that just pick the top team in every sport and claim they have always been like that. I live in NYC now and I have to go to the department of buildings everyday and there is this younger guy there who every day wears a Heat Jersey or shirt, a Yankee hat and goes off on how he has always been a Broncos fan. i just laugh at him. Those are fans I cant stand.

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont have an issue with bandwagon fans nor do I have any issue with new heat fans. Everyone joins a fanbase at some time. Hopefully they stick with that team through thick and thin tho. I was born and raised in Miami. I have been a diehard Heat fan since the 1st year and a diehard Fins fan since I can remember. I grew up tho as a Red Wings fan. The Panthers werent around when i was a kid, and as a kid Detroit one of the best teams. They were the best in all the video games and always on TV so i became a fan of them. I do like the Panthers, but I was a kid who was impressionable towards another team because my city didnt have one.

I do NOt like fans tho that just pick the top team in every sport and claim they have always been like that. I live in NYC now and I have to go to the department of buildings everyday and there is this younger guy there who every day wears a Heat Jersey or shirt, a Yankee hat and goes off on how he has always been a Broncos fan. i just laugh at him. Those are fans I cant stand.

Same i grew up in miami... I can't ever see myself rooting for any other team then all my miami sports teams i grew up watching. Even when my dolphins went 1-15 that year.. My son was born and i still put on a dolphin outfit on him at the hospital... Trust me i heard it from every doctors and nurse.. Of how bad we were.. No matter what will always be a proud miami sports fan.