• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Wife Hates Sundays (MWHS) web site

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been an email discussion regarding the upgrades, revisions, and content of the My Wife Hates Sundays fantasy football web site. Perhaps moving that discussion to SportsHoopla might help move some of the discussions along.

Rankings
Judging from the emails, it sounds like we are going to provide consensus rankings, but all who would like to submit their personal rankings (which would be displayed within the consensus rankings) is encouraged. It was suggested that the target date to have this done is July 1 so that the rankings can be posted on July 4. I agree.

One question about rankings, are we doing each position, or overall rankings? While each position might be easier to rank, overall rankings might be more appealing to a fantasy audience.

Did someone, like Lefty, want to control the spreadsheet, or are we just feeding our rankings to Foot?

Articles and Editing
No one seems overly thrilled with having the responsibility of being the editor. (And for good reason, since we've all made some hideous grammatical and spelling errors in our posts.) Again, Lefty has reluctantly offered to take the lead, and asked that I be the backup editor.

I'm good with that idea however I still stand by my suggestion that since we are not under a tangible publishing deadline, that everyone should simply take the time and proof their own articles. At minimum, use Microsoft Word which will automatically indicate spelling and grammar errors.

Content and Misc
We've agreed to scrap the cheerleader and profanity, which I feel is a sound business decision which will encompass a broader target audience.

It was also refreshing to hear Foot candidly admit in one of his emails that he was "over the top" in sharing his views as well as overloading the site with these views. (Kudos to Foot after our cyber intervention.)

There's still much to discuss as to what MWHS will add and how it will be displayed. I think current features/articles can be organized on the main page, but I would personally like to see each author (or contributor) have a link which would bring visitors to a new MWHS page which displays various content of that author.

Message Board
How close is this to being a reality? At least the version that is intended to emulate CBS' now-defunct message board?

So hope this is enough to get the discussion started?

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe - Excellent synopsis of where we are today. Below are my thoughts on several issues;

One question about rankings, are we doing each position, or overall
rankings? While each position might be easier to rank, overall rankings
might be more appealing to a fantasy audience. Did someone, like Lefty, want to control the spreadsheet, or are we just feeding our rankings to Foot?
Thought 1; I'm totally good with an overall ranking since that is what I use when drafting. The only issue is that it will be much more involved since the each rank will go from comparing apples to apples - to apples, oranges & pears as each position will make up the list. There will have to be a lot more thought from each of us to develop our list.
Thought 2; I would envision a one page spreadsheet list us all and our rank for that player, the consensus would be the overall average. Excel is the only program I'm familiar with that can be setup to accomplish that. Foot says it can be imported to the website so I'm of the opinion that would be the cleanest & simplest way to go. Once we establish a format, then I do not mind accumulating the data and submitting to Foot (to get things rolling). Once everyone is up to speed, I think we'd be able to each just send it directly to him.

Articles: I'm good with that idea however I still stand by my suggestion that since we are
not under a tangible publishing deadline, that everyone should simply take the time and proof their own articles. At minimum, use Microsoft Word which will automatically indicate spelling and grammar errors.
Thought; Fine by me if everyone controls their own destiny. Using Word is an excellent suggestion. However, as a group we all do need to read what is being posted. If someone starts getting off-base or out-of-bounds then we'll need to call for an intervention.

There's still much to discuss as to what MWHS will add and how it will be
displayed. I think current features/articles can be organized on the main page,
but I would personally like to see each author (or contributor) have a link
which would bring visitors to a new MWHS page which displays various content of
that author.
Thought; If we do not have an editor this is an absolute must in my mind. The main page should be reserved for the logo, links to authors, link to consensus rankings, and list of articles. I suggest we have a link to 'guest authors' as well. Those will absolutely need a review of some type.

Message Board; How close is this to being a reality? At least the version that
is intended to emulate CBS' now-defunct message board?
Thought; Good question. Perhaps we leave that for later and just stay here?

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound good and I want to be in this with you guys but I'm not so sure I can get my rankings (with comments) in by the first. BTW, who is in? I know this is hard to believe but I have actually been busy at work doing, well work.........I know, sucks to be me but I'm sure things will get back to normal and I won't have to work so much at work anymore; point is I'm behind on the emails and not sure if I'm still invited anymore. BTW, somebody should send Hammer a PM and see if he is cool with us using the Hoop to converse about another site...........these guys have been ultra cool IMO and don't want to piss somebody off.

Last edited by a moderator:

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we'll need comments with our rankings because we're just doing a consensus ranking for MWHS. Our personal rankings will be our own, but they'll be averaged with everyone else for the consensus.

I'm not discouraging you from player comments, but I don't think we're at that point yet.

As for Hammer and the other SportsHoopla administrators - valid point. I like it here. Perhaps we can put the MWHS message board on the back burner for now, and maybe even have a SportsHoopla link on MWHS to these message boards?

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound good and I want to be in this with you guys but I'm not so sure I can get my rankings (with comments) in by the first. BTW, who is in? I know this is hard to believe but I have actually been busy at work doing, well work.........I know, sucks to be me but I'm sure things will get back to normal and I won't have to work so much at work anymore; point is I'm behind on the emails and not sure if I'm still invited anymore. BTW, somebody should send Hammer a PM and see if he is cool with us using the Hoop to converse about another site...........these guys have been ultra cool IMO and don't want to piss somebody off.

Sam - you are a charter member and always welcome. ..... :nod:

I'd have to revoke my membership if not - - Lefty

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember, the emails talked about ranking the top 60 RB, etc. If we agree to do an overall listing, should we limit the list to the top 200, 250 or the top 300? My choice is 200 since most leagues are 12-team, 14-bench (168 players). Thoughts?

I think we were all hoping Sam would be in. Sam of Wit.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive guys each and every one of you..i'm here lurking and at this time could not offer up anything more than all of you have stated above.seriously guys top notch..if the reality matches the initial planning you will certainly develop a solid MWHS site....

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember, the emails talked about ranking the top 60 RB, etc. If we agree to do an overall listing, should we limit the list to the top 200, 250 or the top 300? My choice is 200 since most leagues are 12-team, 14-bench (168 players). Thoughts?

I think we were all hoping Sam would be in. Sam of Wit.

I'd back 200 as well, maybe even scale back to 180. Most sites do 150 - 200.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd back 200 as well, maybe even scale back to 180. Most sites do 150 - 200.

Forgot to add - that's going to be a fair amount of work. We probably should consider pushing the date back to the week following July 4, say July 10. That will give everyone a couple of weeks (minus the 4th) to get it together. I'm sure some people will be making travel arrangements and prepping for reunions and cookouts in that timeframe. Also, we still have not settled on a format or who all is in. I would hope all.

Guys please chime in. ......

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to add - that's going to be a fair amount of work. We probably should consider pushing the date back to the week following July 4, say July 10. That will give everyone a couple of weeks (minus the 4th) to get it together.

If it helps any... you can go to the SportsHoopla "Suicide Results" thread where I listed all of our picks chronologically. Then it's just a matter of reorganizing that overall list based on our personal preferences. You can also copy the list and paste in Excel. (You may have to paste it in Notepad first and then import it into Excel.)

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thought before I leave for work this a.m.

Also, we still have not settled on a format or who all is in. I would hope all.

Guys please chime in. ......

Yes, guys, please chime in!

In the spirit of team sports, this should truly be a group effort. Look how fantasy football has drawn us all together. We are a diverse group from all over North America. I think that in itself may have some appeal if there is a professional way that we can highlight our geographical diversity.

Let me add too that Foot did say in his email, "I read the old cbs posts you guys posted on SportsHoopla and man did i sound like a idiot. lol. I think that I thought that was the best way to get attention. I hope some of you found it amusing but i can see why many found it annoying." The Foot is still willing to do much of the leg work on the site but is humbly acquiescing so that more of us can make tangible contributions to MWHS. To that end, tangible content and input must then be provided by others. It can all start with individual rankings.

(I have an article on fantasy rookies. It's ready to go, but I may want to make a slight addition to the article.)

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys - I have an excel spreadsheet with roughly 400 players listed. I've ranked roughly 160 and the remainder are sorted by team. Also, the names are color-code by position. I can send that out to everyone so we'll have a consistent format. It will be sorted by my current ranks. If everyone can add theirs but not re-sort them we could just cut & paste and get this thing together rather quickly. The only thing I do not have are DST's or kickers. I can add them but we could also consider separate lists for them since they are generally very late to last round picks anyway.

Either way, I will need to send it to your regular email then you can send it back and I'll accumulate. That is, if all agree. ...... I can get it out by Wednesday next week. let me know ....

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys - I have an excel spreadsheet with roughly 400 players listed. I've ranked roughly 160 and the remainder are sorted by team. Also, the names are color-code by position. I can send that out to everyone so we'll have a consistent format. It will be sorted by my current ranks. If everyone can add theirs but not re-sort them we could just cut & paste and get this thing together rather quickly. The only thing I do not have are DST's or kickers. I can add them but we could also consider separate lists for them since they are generally very late to last round picks anyway.

Either way, I will need to send it to your regular email then you can send it back and I'll accumulate. That is, if all agree. ...... I can get it out by Wednesday next week. let me know ....
That sounds great to me Lefty..

if we are adding any comments to our rankings that is when i have to admit i'm not quite up to par with you guys..i certainly have a feel and some reasoning behind my various choices,however my knowledge doesn't run as deep ie: college players offensive guards etc etc.
Maybe I'll be checking in with Barilko's Frozen North Reports...as i said im lurking and learning...

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thought before I leave for work this a.m.

Yes, guys, please chime in!

In the spirit of team sports, this should truly be a group effort. Look how fantasy football has drawn us all together. We are a diverse group from all over North America. I think that in itself may have some appeal if there is a professional way that we can highlight our geographical diversity.

Let me add too that Foot did say in his email, "I read the old cbs posts you guys posted on SportsHoopla and man did i sound like a idiot. lol. I think that I thought that was the best way to get attention. I hope some of you found it amusing but i can see why many found it annoying." The Foot is still willing to do much of the leg work on the site but is humbly acquiescing so that more of us can make tangible contributions to MWHS. To that end, tangible content and input must then be provided by others. It can all start with individual rankings.

(I have an article on fantasy rookies. It's ready to go, but I may want to make a slight addition to the article.)
great call Joe and so true

Chicago Joe Eh..maybe "The Wind File Rankings"

Sam of st Louis i think--- might produce "The Arch Report"

Barilko may have "Frozen Notes"

and i know you guys will dream up better ones

with that being said I would love to know (who ever will volunteer the details) where we do all live and how old we are. And im not suggesting this info for the MWHS -I'm just curious thats all

i'm from Montreal and ol Barilko is 54

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a PM from Sam asking about this and I appreciate it. :suds: Sounds fine to me.

Whoever the admin is, I would highkly recommend that you login to WordPress and update to the latest version (3.5.2) as it features many bug fixes and security enhancements over your current version (3.4.1) which is outdated and has known exploits.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello HammerDown,

I'm the Foot! I am the administrator for MWHS. Thanks for the tip I just updated it. The guys all said you where pretty cool and they were right. Anything I can do for you please don't hesitate to ask. I am an experienced graphic designer so if you need any artwork please feel free to ask.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also like Joe said Hammerdown maybe we could use your message boards in a way to integrate them into our site this way guys could post on here and those posts would show up on MWHS. I have been searching a bit and website toolbox offers a way for me to add message boards to our site. Unless you know of a better way to do it. Would love to hear it.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So back onto rankings and such, here are my top 5 RB's just in case you guys are interested.............

Peterson
Foster
Martin
Lynch
Shady

Now how is that for insight..................:lol: Damn, this shit is easy! Top 5 WR's next.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also like Joe said Hammerdown maybe we could use your message boards in a way to integrate them into our site this way guys could post on here and those posts would show up on MWHS. I have been searching a bit and website toolbox offers a way for me to add message boards to our site. Unless you know of a better way to do it. Would love to hear it.
Don't push it...............