• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My view on the bears right now.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just getting thru the division. Suh staying or leaving detroit could change that team. I really dont think there is that much more money out there for Suh than detroit can pay him considering the fact he just got 22.5 million and really does not need a signing bonus. Its annual cap number that should be able to keep him in detroit. Their thug center is gone, Stafford is basically Cutler so getting past detroit should not be the same as getting past green bay. Minnesota is gonna get rid of peterson. The biggest taker is Jones and how can he replace Murray after this season?

Its not really what the bears do or what the other teams do, its injuries and backup play. Alot of these guys we have now will probably be backups on defense and without the cover 2 giving up the middle of the field anymore,anything can happen.

The west is gonna be a tough schedule. It really might boil down to the unfair advantage some teams get by having some of the tough games as home games.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hold off on crowning George if you hold off on the torches. I think some people may want to hold on to stereotypes on him because he's a McCaskey instead of actually acknowledging how things happened this off season. To me, it's not as much about the Fox hire as it was the passion, the decisiveness and the hiring of Ernie Accorsi. What has pissed me off in the past is having a guy running the show who seemed like he was more concerned with the team as an asset than developing a winner. All the moves may turn out to be the wrong ones... success isn't guaranteed... but I do want to see an owner that can't accept losing.

I'll hold off on the torches until the end of week 1 next year. I will however be skeptical of most moves until then.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I said Brady was a HOF'er and deservedly so. My point was if Cutler had a game that looked like either qb's yesterday people would be lining up to punch him in the stomach. As far as Wilson goes, the NFCCG was ALSO a colossal disappointment. Everyone overlooks how bad he was in that game because by a fluke they won.

Both Brady and Wilson had subpar games. But they had great seasons from a turnover standpoint. Brady threw 9, Wilson threw 7. Cutler will not get us to a Super Bowl because he cannot string 3 games in a row together where he doesn't commit turnovers, unlike Wilson and Brady. He simply doesn't. Wilson got very, very lucky that they got to the Super Bowl, if it hadn't been for Mike McCarthy's sheer mis-management of that game, it would have been Rodgers instead.

Jay Cutler will not get us to a Super Bowl. You can take that to the bank. The troubling thing about Cutler's turnovers is how many of them were unforced. Every QB makes mistakes. But he makes too many, he always has, and he always will. Up until this season, I have defended Cutler against his detractors, but how many seasons in a row does it take until people open their eyes?

I'm pessimistic about the Bears getting rid of Cutler this offseason. If it happens I will do cartwheels, but I doubt it will happen. But that's OK. Let's let the new regime get burned yet again by Jay and rebuild the rest of the roster in the meantime. Eventually they too will figure out the obvious, and building a Super Bowl contending team is a process that takes time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What sets the franchise back more, cutting Cutler and absorbing his massive salary, or to try to win now, for the next couple of years with him?

Emery hamstrung this franchise by giving Jay the farm. I really don't see a way out of that, for the near future.

If they can, so be it, and I wish for the best for everyone involved. If not, Jay will be the guy again, and he and the coaches and teammates will have to rally around the fact that Jay needs to get his mojo back. This kid was a viable gamer at one point...the year he broke his thumb, he was lighting it up....can they get him back to decent with a more balanced attack and a defense that can actually make a stop now and then?

I dunno, but I'm afraid we're going to find out.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven't given up on Jay. The QB position is the most scrutinized and most elusive for nearly 86% of the NFL. But c'mon, the whole team was a mess this season, from the coaches down to the dropped passes and lack of enthusiasm from the vets.

Turnovers: yes, Jay led the league in turnovers with 24. Losing can skew the perspective. Andrew Luck was next with 22, and they played in the AFCCG. No one wants to run Luck out of town. And just 4 years ago, Jay had a career high 25 turnovers in 2010. But the difference was that the Bears were 11-5 and played in the NFCCG.

As someone mentioned, all QB commit turnovers. How does the team - the whole team - respond after a turnover? The good teams find ways to shift the momentum. The Bears as a team were not good in 2014. They rarely played with passion or pride and it showed.

And as Fudge mentioned (or maybe it was Dennis Green), the Bears record shows what they really are. But after being ranked 23rd in offense and 31st in defense, hard to imagine that this new staff will let things stay the same. Or get worse.

I'm reeling in the optimism, but I truly believe the Bears will be better in 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advise advice......you know what the fuck I meant. I knew you were 63

I read it like advise. I was just giving you shit though. The only grammar error that really irks me is when people say would of, should of, could of, etc. It makes no sense. Would of and would've are two very different things. Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I assume you meant I have the wisdom of a 63 year old, but I am really 27.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Brady and Wilson had subpar games. But they had great seasons from a turnover standpoint. Brady threw 9, Wilson threw 7. Cutler will not get us to a Super Bowl because he cannot string 3 games in a row together where he doesn't commit turnovers, unlike Wilson and Brady. He simply doesn't. Wilson got very, very lucky that they got to the Super Bowl, if it hadn't been for Mike McCarthy's sheer mis-management of that game, it would have been Rodgers instead.

Jay Cutler will not get us to a Super Bowl. You can take that to the bank. The troubling thing about Cutler's turnovers is how many of them were unforced. Every QB makes mistakes. But he makes too many, he always has, and he always will. Up until this season, I have defended Cutler against his detractors, but how many seasons in a row does it take until people open their eyes?

I'm pessimistic about the Bears getting rid of Cutler this offseason. If it happens I will do cartwheels, but I doubt it will happen. But that's OK. Let's let the new regime get burned yet again by Jay and rebuild the rest of the roster in the meantime. Eventually they too will figure out the obvious, and building a Super Bowl contending team is a process that takes time.

I cant say I agree that Brady and Wilson had subpar games, there was some great defense being played up until the time that Brady and Wilson took over, well when the defenses started to play not to lose instead of to win.

The reason Brady and Wilson get to the superbowl is you rarely see them forcing anything. You take what they give you or throw where either the receiver catches it or its out of bounds. I think even RW was shocked to get the pass play called at the goal line and wasnt ready for it. The Pats were prepared, you saw the match up, you saw the experienced DB hit his guy, that slowed up the pick, slowed the cut and caused the interception. If the bears were in that setup, both receivers would have gotten the free release. Butler didnt make a great play on that ball, it was all the other DB that slowed the route with one chuck off the line of scrimmage. That a coaching staff that had their team prepared. I cant find the video, dont remember who it was, just remember that other DB pointed to the receiver and knew exactly was was gonna happen. He was the guy that won the game. Butler was just put in the right place.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cubzzzfanincali

I cant say I agree that Brady and Wilson had subpar games, there was some great defense being played up until the time that Brady and Wilson took over, well when the defenses started to play not to lose instead of to win.

The reason Brady and Wilson get to the superbowl is you rarely see them forcing anything.

... Butler didnt make a great play on that ball, it was all the other DB that slowed the route with one chuck off the line of scrimmage. .

OK, maybe saying Brady had a "subpar" game, might be a bad choices of words on my part, although I am not sure. Both of his interceptions were essentially him trying to force the ball. I think the reason Brady completed a lot of passes in this game was because it was quite simply a brilliant gameplan by (probably) Josh McDaniels. It seemed like 75% of the Patriots passes came on slants, flats, and wheel routes. Those were easy passes. This wasn't the Bears game, where Brady was literally making throw after throw of perfection. His most prolific receiver was Vereen, and the Hawks got so frustrated by this they actually moved Thomas to Vereen and had Chancellor playing free safety, which killed them on the Gronk TD. That was just a brilliant offensive game plan, for my money, more than a brilliant QB game.

And dude, I think you are 100% wrong on Butler. Yes, I agree the jam in front of him was good, but this rookie CB fully recognized the play and gambled accordingly very early in the play, I mean he starts his move as Wilson is still just starting to wind up. If Lockette runs a post route to the side Butler is on at the snap, he is wide, wide open, but he didn't, and Butler saw it literally instantly and got there just in time. I think he made a simply great play there, I can't see any reason to say he didn't.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What sets the franchise back more, cutting Cutler and absorbing his massive salary, or to try to win now, for the next couple of years with him?

I think you answered your own question, "we will find out". It would set the franchise back to remove Jay with no one to replace him. This years QB draft class is awful outside of maybe the guy getting picked first or second (Winston). No free agents out there, Hoyer??, can come close to replacing Jay, and honestly, not sure you could bring anyone else in without sacrificing enough of the remaining cap to mess with what they want to do on Defense.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think you answered your own question, "we will find out". It would set the franchise back to remove Jay with no one to replace him. This years QB draft class is awful outside of maybe the guy getting picked first or second (Winston). No free agents out there, Hoyer??, can come close to replacing Jay, and honestly, not sure you could bring anyone else in without sacrificing enough of the remaining cap to mess with what they want to do on Defense.

It's an interesting question, I don't think the answer is very cut and dry. If you cut him, then no, it's not very helpful. But if you trade him in the first 3 days of the new league year, he only costs your cap $4 million in 2015, so he yields you a net savings of ~$15 million over what we'd otherwise spend. In theory, you could sign a bunch of free agents, including a scrub QB (say a guy like Ryan Mallett) with that money.

Plus, in theory they can get an extra draft pick out of a trade. How much of a pick is hard to say, most analysts I have read seem to think a 3rd rounder on average, but the opinions on this are all over the map.

So cutting him is kind of out of the question, but a trade not so much. Sure, 2015 is a dead season then, but it is a dead season anyway with respect to our Super Bowl chances. What, you think Cutler is going to win you the Super Bowl in 2015? Wanna bet on that?

The issue is what puts us in position to win a Super Bowl in future years. If the Bears were to get a decent draft pick, and sign some free agents that would be there to help us win st some point in 2016-2019 time period, then yes, trading Cutler would help the team. Unambiguously.

This is all probably academic though. He is almost certainly staying.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What, you think Cutler is going to win you the Super Bowl in 2015? Wanna bet on that?

The issue is what puts us in position to win a Super Bowl in future years. If the Bears were to get a decent draft pick, and sign some free agents that would be there to help us win st some point in 2016-2019 time period, then yes, trading Cutler would help the team. Unambiguously.

This is all probably academic though. He is almost certainly staying.

The issue isn't if Cutler is the Superbowl answer in 2015, but who's the "young new QB we are going to pick up for years '16 or '17 and beyond"? 'Cause I don't see one in this draft. So are you going to give up 2 years, then development time on top of that? While a Mallet would be ok for a year, I fear you the Bears would be stuck with a Mallet for the next 3 years.

C

cubzzzfanincali

The issue isn't if Cutler is the Superbowl answer in 2015, but who's the "young new QB we are going to pick up for years '16 or '17 and beyond"? 'Cause I don't see one in this draft. So are you going to give up 2 years, then development time on top of that? While a Mallet would be ok for a year, I fear you the Bears would be stuck with a Mallet for the next 3 years.

I guess this is a matter of personal taste, but I would rather wait an extra year or two, and legitimately have a shot at winning a Super Bowl thereafter, than fester in mediocrity and put off the inevitable development. It's like ripping off a band aid or getting a tooth pulled.

Personally, I haven't heard anything that exciting about this year's QB class. To me, that doesn't really matter. I'll wait. Maybe that's the Cub fan in me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If next year is a rebuilding year with no SB shot, then why keep Jay? We could trade him right now, can we next year? will anyone want him by then? Nope, well be stuck with him. Now is the time, now. But Fox will keep him and Jay will cost Fox his job.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noon- what do you do if Jay plays well next year?
Is there anything he can do to get back in your good graces? Nothing short of SB? Even then?
What if Fox and Gase get him and the TEAM to a better place? We could add E. Sanders... And much more importantly improve the Defense- to something beyond putrid... Cause thats' what Fox has done- First year is a vast improvement- 2nd year Playoffs.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noon- what do you do if Jay plays well next year?
Is there anything he can do to get back in your good graces? Nothing short of SB? Even then?
What if Fox and Gase get him and the TEAM to a better place? We could add E. Sanders... And much more importantly improve the Defense- to something beyond putrid... Cause thats' what Fox has done- First year is a vast improvement- 2nd year Playoffs.

what......you actually think theresd a chance?

lmao.......No.He`s done.

What is Fox and Gase gonna change that all the other head coaches and off coord couldn`t change............not a damn thing.

this is why teams need the talent more than the coaching.

There is nothing that anyone can do to get the monkey off Jays back...........nothing.

if we could trade him,it would be a smart move.
What we get for qb is most likel;y not gonna get us to a SB anyeays.if Tennessee wants Jay,have right at it.Take Mettenberg in with the trade plus a pick.
And plus,if we don`t go for one of the two qbs coming out in the draft this year,when do you guys think we`ll ever have this high of a pick again to be able to get one?
And there we are,stuck again with mediocre qbs for who knows how long.

this is the best time as any to try to move up for a qb.........unless of course you all want a freeagent qb.