• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Revised List For New Lakers Head Coach

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can call it idiotic - but letting D'antoni play small ball with players that were best suited for an inside out game and utilizing their size in the pain - was even more retarded. None of the coaches out there are that great, but they aren't nearly has bad as D'antoni either.

I'm going to have to start charging you for basketball lessons. Do you have a PayPal account?:lol:

The Lakers were NOT set up to be an inside out team. They had a very versatile big in Pau who doesn't have to be anchored to the post and is a great passer. Once he had consistent time on the floor and he and D'Antoni worked together on his place in the offense, he was back to the 20/10 Pau that we all know and love. In other words, Pau was ideal for the slower version of the offense that the starters ran when Pau was healthy. They also had a bunch of young, fast athletic guys who could get up and down the floor.

Jordan Hill is also great for D'Antoni's system. He's young, athletic and can get up and down the floor. If he were to get some time and coaching, he could be the Lakers version of Amare Stoudemire when he was in Phoenix, except that Hill will actually play defense.

The Lakers biggest issues were the injuries and the lack of a star player to lead all of these young guys. They have a bunch of role players who can be part of a very good team with a star player or 2 to lead them.

If the Lakers had Kobe playing at anything close to the level we are used to and if Pau had been healthy all season, we would have seen a much better team. I don't think they would have been contenders, but they would have won a lot more than 27 games.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to have to start charging you for basketball lessons. Do you have a PayPal account?:lol:

The Lakers were NOT set up to be an inside out team. They had a very versatile big in Pau who doesn't have to be anchored to the post and is a great passer. Once he had consistent time on the floor and he and D'Antoni worked together on his place in the offense, he was back to the 20/10 Pau that we all know and love. In other words, Pau was ideal for the slower version of the offense that the starters ran when Pau was healthy. They also had a bunch of young, fast athletic guys who could get up and down the floor.

Jordan Hill is also great for D'Antoni's system. He's young, athletic and can get up and down the floor. If he were to get some time and coaching, he could be the Lakers version of Amare Stoudemire when he was in Phoenix, except that Hill will actually play defense.

The Lakers biggest issues were the injuries and the lack of a star player to lead all of these young guys. They have a bunch of role players who can be part of a very good team with a star player or 2 to lead them.

If the Lakers had Kobe playing at anything close to the level we are used to and if Pau had been healthy all season, we would have seen a much better team. I don't think they would have been contenders, but they would have won a lot more than 27 games.

Say what you want - but D'antoni was the worst coach in the world to hire and in fact I think he was worse than Mike Brown. There are coaches that could do a much better job then Dumbtoni and could atleast get us to the playoffs and make the Lakers respectable.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau Gasol was considerably more effective with Jackson and Brown than he was with D'antoni who simply does not have any type of a plan in the paint - the only thing he wants to play is small ball with zero defense.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually like it if we went with Byron Scott considering the choices. I am intrigued by this Kevin Ollie theory floating around though...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you want - but D'antoni was the worst coach in the world to hire and in fact I think he was worse than Mike Brown. There are coaches that could do a much better job then Dumbtoni and could atleast get us to the playoffs and make the Lakers respectable.

Name one coach that could have gotten more out of this seasons team given the injuries and no Kobe, Pau or Nash for most of the season.

Just about every player praised D'Antoni in their exit interviews and said he did a great job keeping the team together and keeping morale up.

The fact that you think Mike Brown might was better shows you are looking at this emotionally rather than logically.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau Gasol was considerably more effective with Jackson and Brown than he was with D'antoni who simply does not have any type of a plan in the paint - the only thing he wants to play is small ball with zero defense.

Wrong again.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLF,

Did you hear the Dan Patrick Show this morning? Rick Fox gave a pretty good explanation as to why the Lakers haven't fired D'Antoni yet. He basically said that they are evaluating the entire franchise from management to the most end of the bench players. Basically, they are being patient, which is exactly what they should be.

The Lakers are at a true crossroads in the organizations history. There are literally several different ways they can go. Some can get them back in contention quickly, some can leave them "treading water" for several years (think the 90's) and some can set the organization back for several years.

They have 3 players under contract for next season that will take up approx. $35 million in cap space. While that does leave them room to add a star player, it doesn't leave room for much of a bench if they were to sign someone this off-season and the only "game changer" FA this time is Lebron. I think we all agree that even a generous estimate would put the Lakers chances of signing him at about 10%.

They hold the option on Ryan Kelly and I believe that the first personnel announcement we will hear is that they are bringing him back (seems a no-brainer).

Nick Young has a player option at $1.2 million. He has indicated that he will opt out, but would be willing to re-sign with the Lakers for less than other teams. The obvious question will be "How much less?"

I believe that everyone else on the roster is an unrestricted FA. So the Lakers have their work cut out for them as they have to decide who to try to bring back and at what price.

This is why they have to be patient re: D'Antoni. If they fire him without having someone better lined up (and no, anyone else, isn't better) then they appear to be the "rudderless ship" that some folks have been saying they are ever since the Phil/D'Antoni debacle.

You may very well get your wish and the Lakers may end up firing D'Antoni, but it won't happen until they have finished evaluating the entire organization from top to bottom and probably not until they have some idea of what the roster is going to look like.

On another note: It appear that Julius Randle has always been a Lakers fan and would love to play for the Lakers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJF12. I think the players under contract are: Kobe, Nash, Sacre, and Marshall. Kelly has the option as you have stated and everyone else is a FA.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJF12. I think the players under contract are: Kobe, Nash, Sacre, and Marshall. Kelly has the option as you have stated and everyone else is a FA.

You might be right, but I've only seen Kobe, Nash and Sacre mentioned. Maybe they hold a team option on Marshall?

That would actually be good if they hold the team option or if he's under contract because he is a very good backup/emergency starter and could be kept on the cheap. Love his court vision, wish he was a little faster than he is.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, they signed Marshall to a two year deal similar to the one Sacre got TJF12. Everyone forgets about him because he came in after the season started except maybe a guy like Stu Lantz.

I totally agree on his court vision and reading opposing defenses. Stu mentioned he reminds him in this category of a Byron Scott the PG player back in the day. But yea, he needs to work on his shots, his defense, and his anticipation. I also wish he was blazing fast but that is where both Bazemore and Brooks come in. Both have speed. More guys to re-sign.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have a team option on Marshall. They can pick it up or he's a free agent. Might as well pick it up. It's dirt cheap (less than a mil) and you need a back up PG anyway.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, they signed Marshall to a two year deal similar to the one Sacre got TJF12. Everyone forgets about him because he came in after the season started except maybe a guy like Stu Lantz.

I totally agree on his court vision and reading opposing defenses. Stu mentioned he reminds him in this category of a Byron Scott the PG player back in the day. But yea, he needs to work on his shots, his defense, and his anticipation. I also wish he was blazing fast but that is where both Bazemore and Brooks come in. Both have speed. More guys to re-sign.

Stu should be ashamed of comparing Marshall to Scott.

I think the Lakers have an option on Bazemore or they can make him a restricted free agent. Same thing with Kelly. They can make him a restricted free agent. I think both will be Lakers next season. They are cheap and have potential. Kelly will have a solid career as a stretch-4 in this league.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Lakersule. Bazemore, Kelly, and Brooks all have team options. I see them returning. The true FAs right now are Gasol, Henry, Young, Meeks, Johnson, Kaman, and Hill. Everyone else is accounted for as either signed, or team option.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atleast the Lakers got rid of D'antoni- He was a good coach when Nash was in his prime, but without that young and talented Nash to make him look better - he just didn't have much at all. I predict no one will be calling to sign him because now they realize he risigns before he can be fired- lol

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Lakers decide who to hire they need to decide if they are going young or veteran. We need a coach who specializes on a certain type of team composition. After the Draft we should have a better idea of who appropriate candidates are.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Lakers decide who to hire they need to decide if they are going young or veteran. We need a coach who specializes on a certain type of team composition. After the Draft we should have a better idea of who appropriate candidates are.

:agree: I'm glad that they are taking their time. I think some teams are making some panic moves in how quickly they are signing certain coaches and for the amount of money and power they are giving them. I'm also glad that the Lakers re being quiet. When they are quiet is usually when they pull off one of those moves that blindside everyone.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: I think a mixture of a coach who is young with some experience will be good IMO. Who it is we shall see, but it's great that they are not being idiots like the Warriors in hiring a guy who has never coached & giving him a guaranteed $25 million. :L :laugh3: