• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Revised List For New Lakers Head Coach

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Shaqdaddy. I was thinking of someone else and typing and it was way too early in the morning. You're right, I was way off on that one.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJF12. Kerr is probably going to be the next Knicks coach and according to the stance of the Lakers, Don'tknowi is probably going to be here next year for many of the reasons discussed here.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJF12. Kerr is probably going to be the next Knicks coach and according to the stance of the Lakers, Don'tknowi is probably going to be here next year for many of the reasons discussed here.

I agree that he likely goes to the Knicks. However, he has said that he'd prefer to remain on the West Coast. Haven't heard any rumors about the Lakers having any interest, though. That wouldn't be completely unheard of since the Lakers tend to be pretty closed mouth re: personnel moves.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. It's probably safe to say that the Lakers management isn't just sitting around watching the playoffs, though.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bad coaches are getting recycled and you want to continue that. There's younger blood out there. Someone like Kevin Ollie at UConn. Hire Ollie and KD comes over in a couple of years. :nod:

That would be an excellent idea if the Lakers weren't trying to get a championship right now with Kobe intact. Here is the thing about the coaches from the colleges/univerisities - being good at the collegiate level does not mean they will be good at the NBA level. There is no guarantee. One thing for sure - if you want to attact good players like KD - you got to hire a good coach and get some stability. It's a shame the Lakers farted away their chance to keep Howard by getting Phil Jackson. Now with Phil Jackson Carmello would be prepared to look at the Lakers and we would have Howard and Carmello.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I thought of a couple of excellent choices just now

Byron Scott

Michael Cooper

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be an excellent idea if the Lakers weren't trying to get a championship right now with Kobe intact. Here is the thing about the coaches from the colleges/univerisities - being good at the collegiate level does not mean they will be good at the NBA level. There is no guarantee. One thing for sure - if you want to attact good players like KD - you got to hire a good coach and get some stability. It's a shame the Lakers farted away their chance to keep Howard by getting Phil Jackson. Now with Phil Jackson Carmello would be prepared to look at the Lakers and we would have Howard and Carmello.

And you think an old retread that hasn't won jack shit is going to be any better? I love Kobe but, unfortunately for him, the Lakers need to think more long term than short term.

NBA players love Kevin Ollie, especially Durant. I don't think the Lakers would have any trouble attracting players if they hired Ollie.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you think an old retread that hasn't won jack shit is going to be any better? I love Kobe but, unfortunately for him, the Lakers need to think more long term than short term.

NBA players love Kevin Ollie, especially Durant. I don't think the Lakers would have any trouble attracting players if they hired Ollie.

Actually if you read my post above - you will see that I forgot about Byron Scott or M Cooper who coached the women's team for the Lakers and won championships. Scott got screwed over in New Orleans and would still be a huge upgrade over D'antoni

I get it that you're tired of recycling a bunch of losers - but the problem is with your college level coach is that it does not guarantee success and most likely means taking several years to really become contenders. I noticed that the Haters on ESPN were predicting that the Lakers won't make the playoffs or be contenders for several more years, but I don't agree with that and I still think that we need to think about a coach who possibly never won because he didn't have the right team for it.

For me that would be a coach that will use the inside out game, small ball and defense. I want to see a coach that uses everything and D'antoni is not even close to that. Almost any coach would still be better than him.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of respect for you Retro, but where are you getting your facts from? We were 4-1 under Bernie!

I would love to have Bernie - but he isn't interested in being head coach - which is a tragedy - he is very talented

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it that you're tired of recycling a bunch of losers - but the problem is with your college level coach is that it does not guarantee success and most likely means taking several years to really become contenders.

But when you keep hiring these losers, you will just continue to lose. Hiring an old retread guarantees you nothing either. Realistically, it is going to take at least a couple of seasons for this team to be a contender. It could happen sooner I suppose, but it won't be because of the coach. It will be because Kobe returns to playing at a high level and the front office makes the right player personnel moves this summer.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when you keep hiring these losers, you will just continue to lose. Hiring an old retread guarantees you nothing either. Realistically, it is going to take at least a couple of seasons for this team to be a contender. It could happen sooner I suppose, but it won't be because of the coach. It will be because Kobe returns to playing at a high level and the front office makes the right player personnel moves this summer.

You still haven't responded to my suggestion of Byron Scott - I think he's a good coach that got a some bad deals and would be very good. I also think Michael Cooper would be a good coach.

Either way - I think we could find a coach that isn't as bad of a loser as D'antoni - this is about damage control and get someone in there that's not as bad

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly!! I don't care if the Lakers get Phil to break his contract with the Knicks to come back and coach and hire Larry Brown, Pat Riley and Red Auerbach's ghost as his assistants. If the Lakers don't upgrade the roster, they aren't going to be contenders.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still haven't responded to my suggestion of Byron Scott - I think he's a good coach that got a some bad deals and would be very good. I also think Michael Cooper would be a good coach.

Either way - I think we could find a coach that isn't as bad of a loser as D'antoni - this is about damage control and get someone in there that's not as bad

Byron Scott had 2 different teams basically mutiny on him, including one that he took to the finals. That's a big red flag.

You can understand it if it's one team, but 2 is a problem. Especially considering he hasn't coached a lot of teams.

Firing a coach and hiring another one purely as some kind of "damage control" is idiotic and never works.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Scott had 2 different teams basically mutiny on him, including one that he took to the finals. That's a big red flag.

You can understand it if it's one team, but 2 is a problem. Especially considering he hasn't coached a lot of teams.

Firing a coach and hiring another one purely as some kind of "damage control" is idiotic and never works.

and i agree that the mutiny thing IS a trend, but out of all who's out there i can't think of anyone better to be a Lakers coach...

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem for Byron is he went to a small market team that failed to continue rebuilding - and naturally they blamed him for what was the fault of the front office. That same thing was repeated the second time. He's a good coach with more experience and with Kobe on the side, I think he would make a good coach

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i agree that the mutiny thing IS a trend, but out of all who's out there i can't think of anyone better to be a Lakers coach...

I think you might have to look at it differently - Don't think of which coach is the best one - but ask yourself which one is not the worst coach and will do the least amount of damage to the Lakers - and D'antoni is by far the worst coach

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can call it idiotic - but letting D'antoni play small ball with players that were best suited for an inside out game and utilizing their size in the pain - was even more retarded. None of the coaches out there are that great, but they aren't nearly has bad as D'antoni either.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's why the Lakers need to hold off and weigh the decision very carefully. As I've been saying, you only fire your current coach when you have someone better lined up. As of now, the only coaches that appear to be available (and we don't even know that for sure) that we could say without doubt would likely be better than D'Antoni are the Van Gundy's.

I love B. Scott, but I am not convinced he would be an improvement over D'Antoni and could be worse given the trend of issues with his players.

If the Lakers are going to take a chance on a coach that we don't know if he would be an improvement or not, they should try to swoop in and get to Kerr before Phil gets him for the Knicks. Otherwise, sit tight, even if it means another season or 2 with D'Antoni and see who else might become available.

Or as someone else suggested, go after Ollie.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might have to look at it differently - Don't think of which coach is the best one - but ask yourself which one is not the worst coach and will do the least amount of damage to the Lakers - and D'antoni is by far the worst coach

Dumbest reason possible to fire a coach. You really need to quit looking at things emotionally/like a fan and actually try to understand how things work.

You DON'T fire a coach as a form of "damage control". It's a panic move the never works. So, you fire D'Antoni and bring in an old retread coach who has never won anything or a younger coach like Scott who already has had 2 teams mutiny on hi.

Also, you are way off on what happened with Byron at those 2 stops. It was his players who mutinied on him, it had nothing to do with being small market teams that wouldn't continue to add talent.

One of the teams was the Nets team that he took to the finals. Hardly small market and good enough to make the finals, but they mutinied. That's an issue.