• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Revised List For New Lakers Head Coach

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few names that I had forgot about

Jerry Sloan

George Karl

Avery Johnson

Mike Woodson

Rick Adelman

These would be the top choices - not that any of them are really all that great, but I do have some respect for them to take the Lakers up to a higher step. Jerry Sloan would be my top choice

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bunch of old retreads. I'd rather see some younger coaching blood get the chance.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense but that is honestly a terrible list outside of Sloan. Karl is a good regular season coach but you're not winning any championships with him as the coach and I'm not a fan of Woody or Avery especially for an organization like the Lakers

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense but that is honestly a terrible list outside of Sloan. Karl is a good regular season coach but you're not winning any championships with him as the coach and I'm not a fan of Woody or Avery especially for an organization like the Lakers

Consider the source BK.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is there really isn't much out there which I expect is the reason that the Lakers has not fired Dumbasstoni. Sloan would be my choice though - I really am not a fan of the others. Avery Johnson ran a fairly good team, but I would really love to see a coach that preaches defense.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a college coach and not some old fart who has been in college for 15+ years. I want some new talented guy. A guy like Jim Harbaugh who came in and turned the team around where ever he went.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a college coach and not some old fart who has been in college for 15+ years. I want some new talented guy. A guy like Jim Harbaugh who came in and turned the team around where ever he went.

So far I haven't heard even one suggestion that would be an actual upgrade over D'antoni - I know my list is not the greatest - but there isn't anyone better - that's the problem - the bad coaches are getting recycled - unless you are going to go with Van Gundy - and I don't think I could stand to listen to Stan Van Gundy's screeching voice coaching the Lakers. Jeff Van Gundy might not be as bad though.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is there really isn't much out there which I expect is the reason that the Lakers has not fired Dumbasstoni. Sloan would be my choice though - I really am not a fan of the others. Avery Johnson ran a fairly good team, but I would really love to see a coach that preaches defense.

I agree not much out there. As much as I want D'antoni out, we need a long term solution.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree not much out there. As much as I want D'antoni out, we need a long term solution.

:agree: The Lakers need to be careful when deciding on a coach. D'Antoni is the 4th coach in the past 5 seasons (counting Bickerstaff's interim stint), that does not send a message of stability in the organization.

They are better off keeping D'Antoni for another season or 2 until they can find a long term solution than continuing to change coaches like underwear.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team gets off to a bad start next year, I think they will pull the plug quickly. Just hope they have a good replacement in mind. I can't see them going another season like this with him.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: The Lakers need to be careful when deciding on a coach. D'Antoni is the 4th coach in the past 5 seasons (counting Bickerstaff's interim stint), that does not send a message of stability in the organization.

They are better off keeping D'Antoni for another season or 2 until they can find a long term solution than continuing to change coaches like underwear.

That's my point - It is between slim and none out there.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those coaches listed are a fit for the Lakers.
The roster is a mess, no coach is going to fix that. Just take your lumps for a few years free up cap space draft wisely and poof the Lakers start winning titles again.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were 8-0 under Bernie Bickerstaff. I always have liked his approach and he does teach and practice defense but he is not going to get the Lakers job as long as short buss is around.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were 8-0 under Bernie Bickerstaff. I always have liked his approach and he does teach and practice defense but he is not going to get the Lakers job as long as short buss is around.

Lot of respect for you Retro, but where are you getting your facts from? We were 4-1 under Bernie!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I haven't heard even one suggestion that would be an actual upgrade over D'antoni - I know my list is not the greatest - but there isn't anyone better - that's the problem - the bad coaches are getting recycled - unless you are going to go with Van Gundy - and I don't think I could stand to listen to Stan Van Gundy's screeching voice coaching the Lakers. Jeff Van Gundy might not be as bad though.

The bad coaches are getting recycled and you want to continue that. There's younger blood out there. Someone like Kevin Ollie at UConn. Hire Ollie and KD comes over in a couple of years. :nod:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point - It is between slim and none out there.

That's a big part of the reason that I defend D'Antoni. Firing a coach is easy. It temporarily calms the fanbase because management can then say that "they did something" and takes heat off of management. Even a numbskull like Short Buss can do that.

What is harder, is finding a better coach. There are usually 3 reasons that a coach is available.

1.) They retired - This can be tricky. Why did they retire? Did they just need a break? Were they done coaching? Did they retire to avoid being fired? How long have they been out and how close have they stayed to the game?

2.) They were fired - Teams don't typically fire successful coaches. What was the problem that caused them to be fired and what have they learned?

3.) They've never been a coach - This can be great and it can also be a disaster if they simply can't coach. You're taking a chance on an unknown.

If the Lakers are going to fire D'Antoni and decide to go with an experienced coach, I'd like to see them either hire one of the Van Gundy's (I prefer Jeff). Otherwise, give a respected assistant coach a shot ala the Bulls with Thibs or go after someone like Steve Kerr.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a big part of the reason that I defend D'Antoni. Firing a coach is easy. It temporarily calms the fanbase because management can then say that "they did something" and takes heat off of management. Even a numbskull like Short Buss can do that.

What is harder, is finding a better coach. There are usually 3 reasons that a coach is available.

1.) They retired - This can be tricky. Why did they retire? Did they just need a break? Were they done coaching? Did they retire to avoid being fired? How long have they been out and how close have they stayed to the game?

2.) They were fired - Teams don't typically fire successful coaches. What was the problem that caused them to be fired and what have they learned?

3.) They've never been a coach - This can be great and it can also be a disaster if they simply can't coach. You're taking a chance on an unknown.

If the Lakers are going to fire D'Antoni and decide to go with an experienced coach, I'd like to see them either hire one of the Van Gundy's (I prefer Jeff). Otherwise, give a respected assistant coach a shot ala the Bulls with Thibs or go after someone like Steve Kerr.

This so depressing, but true. :L