• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Moreland & the 3rd OF'er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Nellie comes back and *assuming we make the playoffs*, the team will run into the "problem" of having too many good healthy starters at once. Here's how I see it;

The DH position will get a bit trickier, since you have both catchers, plus Young and Beltre who could all fit into that spot. Beltre and Torrealba being the best defensively out of the four, they should be starting at 3B and C. That leaves us with Moreland, Young, and Napoli to play 1st, and only one of the other two being able to DH. With Young having an MVP like season and Napoli having an MVP like second half, the choice on who DOESN'T play 1B is a no brainer. This means Moreland gets no playing time unless it's in the OF, but do you start him over Murphy or Endy? I say no fucking way, they're both hitting better and are obviously better defensively in the OF. And who should start between Murphy or Endy? Obviously Murphy is very hot right now but does he continue that into the playoffs? Endy has been pretty consistent all year.

So what's the solution? Change the lineup every day and rotate guys in and out? Then you run the risk of guys like Murphy getting cold. I say you pick your best line-up and you go with it at this point. And it sucks to say for Moreland, since he's had a decent year(too many slumps though, and straight bad vs LHP) and has a lot of upside, but I think he's the odd man out. Thoughts?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy stays in the lineup every day. Napoli alternates between 1B, C, and DH, as Young alternates betwen 1b, DH and the occasional 3b in order to keep from over working Beltre's hamstring. Moreland plays 1b against righties for the most part right now. Endy stays in too. Endy has got to be better than Gentry even if the SP is a lefty. Gentry is a great pinch run option off the bench and Defensive substitution if needed.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think during the homestretch you see more Hamilton in CF, with Murphy in LF and Cruz in RF, Beltre at 3B, Young at DH, Napoli at C and Moreland at 1B, with Napoli sliding to 1B against LHPs, and Torrealba at C

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Torrealba is the worst defender of the bunch this year, he's been horrid this season

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Torrealba is the worst defender of the bunch this year, he's been horrid this season

I'm just not seeing it. Mike has him beat in a lot of fielding stat areas but he's played half the amount of games behind the plate. Only bad thing about Torrealba this year is his 8 errors, but I can live with that. He's been pretty solid throwing out base runners too. He's definitely not GG caliber but I don't see why you would say he's been horrid. That's more of a world I would apply to Andrus.

Lukawren24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think during the homestretch you see more Hamilton in CF, with Murphy in LF and Cruz in RF, Beltre at 3B, Young at DH, Napoli at C and Moreland at 1B, with Napoli sliding to 1B against LHPs, and Torrealba at C

Thats the best lineup right there regardless of what side arm is throwing against us.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is Torrealba and Moreland are both better versus RHP, and neither are good vs LHP. The difference is Moreland is terrible vs LHP. I say you go with the better overall hitter no matter who's throwing.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrealba has been horrible the last 2 weeks or so since coming off his hot streak. He went red hot there for a while, but since then his approach has been horrible. A lot of 1 and 2 pitch outs. Moreland should be going against righties for sure. I think this is how I would play things until Cruz comes back.

Vs LHP

Kinsler 2B
Andrus SS
Hamilton LF
Young DH
Beltre 3B
Napoli 1B
Murphy RF
Torrealba C
Chavez CF

Vs RHP

Kinsler 2B
Andrus SS
Hamilton LF
Young DH
Beltre 3B
Napoli C
Murphy RF
Moreland 1B
Chavez CF

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just not seeing it. Mike has him beat in a lot of fielding stat areas but he's played half the amount of games behind the plate. Only bad thing about Torrealba this year is his 8 errors, but I can live with that. He's been pretty solid throwing out base runners too. He's definitely not GG caliber but I don't see why you would say he's been horrid. That's more of a world I would apply to Andrus.

Don't forget the passed balls, 6 of those I do believe, he's had some success throwing out runners in the 2nd half, but I'm sure there are a few who would agree he's been pretty bad behind the plate

Napoli also seems to call a better game, no stats for that per se, unless you want to use CERA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the passed balls, 6 of those I do believe, he's had some success throwing out runners in the 2nd half, but I'm sure there are a few who would agree he's been pretty bad behind the plate

Napoli also seems to call a better game, no stats for that per se, unless you want to use CERA

It's just not something that has stood out to me. Not saying you're wrong, I'll even admit there's lots of intricacies to the game that are still beyond my level of recognition. But I do remember at the beginning of the season folks were saying Napoli was terrible defensively and he might have a tough time getting into the lineup because of that. So were those people wrong about both of them, or has Napoli just progressed and Torrealba hasn't played up to standard?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just not something that has stood out to me. Not saying you're wrong, I'll even admit there's lots of intricacies to the game that are still beyond my level of recognition. But I do remember at the beginning of the season folks were saying Napoli was terrible defensively and he might have a tough time getting into the lineup because of that. So were those people wrong about both of them, or has Napoli just progressed and Torrealba hasn't played up to standard?

All I know i what I heard about Napoli, but it would seem that he has progressed based on what I heard and Torrealba hasn't played to his capabilities

I was a YT supporter but he's lost my confidence, though I don't bag on him for every little thing like some people do, or try to do

Just seems despite the initial doubts about Napoli, he's been much better than originally advertised and seems superior to YT in almost every respect as a catcher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know i what I heard about Napoli, but it would seem that he has progressed based on what I heard and Torrealba hasn't played to his capabilities

I was a YT supporter but he's lost my confidence, though I don't bag on him for every little thing like some people do, or try to do

Just seems despite the initial doubts about Napoli, he's been much better than originally advertised and seems superior to YT in almost every respect as a catcher

Well I'm not really arguing that, I'm arguing my opinion that Torrealba should be starting over Moreland, whether it be at C or DH. Only thing Mitch has on him behind the plate is power, which he rarely uses. Torrealba is a better base runner also.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli is leaps and bounds better than advertised! Everything we thought we knew about him was based on what LA fans told us and on the rumors that Scioscia hated the guy. Good teams can't go around trading guys like him.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer Mitch hitting over Torrealba as well, he's just a better hit overall and a better approach at the plate IMO

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli is leaps and bounds better than advertised! Everything we thought we knew about him was based on what LA fans told us and on the rumors that Scioscia hated the guy. Good teams can't go around trading guys like him.

Looking at the numbers, Napoli truly wasn't all that good last year and years past at catcher, but by no means the butcher he was made out to be

But it seems he's made genuine strides this year

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of like Salty. Salty was pretty bad here but seems to be just fine in Boston.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree with Lukawren that the lineup you propose is probably the best and one we will see more down the stretch with primarily Gentry a late inning sub for Hamilton ... and maybe Chavez splitting time in LF with Murphy.

Gentry will go to the post season since he's the only other RF other than Cruz ... and he's the best defensive CF so he'll get more play down the stretch in that capacity. Example ... Hamilton being scratched tonight resulted in Gentry starting.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kind of like Salty. Salty was pretty bad here but seems to be just fine in Boston.

Would have been better for TEX to have traded Teagarden to BOS back in 2008 when they wanted him. TEX almost had Mike Lowell in exchange for Max Ramirez ... and finally TEX got Chris McGuinness and Roman Mendez for Saltalamacchia.

Not much to show for the three hot prospect catchers TEX had back in 2008 ... was supposed to be the top catching prospect group in baseball.

Now there is only Teagarden left. Sure wish he had been moved back in 2008.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have been better for TEX to have traded Teagarden to BOS back in 2008 when they wanted him. TEX almost had Mike Lowell in exchange for Max Ramirez ... and finally TEX got Chris McGuinness and Roman Mendez for Saltalamacchia.

Not much to show for the three hot prospect catchers TEX had back in 2008 ... was supposed to be the top catching prospect group in baseball.

Now there is only Teagarden left. Sure wish he had been moved back in 2008.

In all fairness, Roman Mendez is pretty stout pitching prospect in return for Salty, especially for as Salty's stock was when we dealt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I like this ^