• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More trivia

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Webb was the last pitcher pitcher to hit one? Very cool.
He was the last pitcher to hit one pre-universal DH.

Gonzalez was officially the pitcher when he hit his last night, though, as the Giants forfeited the use of the DH in that game. So Gonzalez, for now, is the official answer.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further, Gonzalez may be the only pitcher to ever hit a hr off a Hall of Fame position player. I have not found an example of another through my lite research.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further, Gonzalez may be the only pitcher to ever hit a hr off a Hall of Fame position player. I have not found an example of another through my lite research.
wow, I didn't realize he hit one off of Pujols. That game really devolved at the end I guess. Definitely the first pitcher to hit a hr off a hall of fame position player who was started the game as a DH. Then again, no one is really a hall of famer until they actually get the votes, as we've seen.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, I didn't realize he hit one off of Pujols. That game really devolved at the end I guess. Definitely the first pitcher to hit a hr off a hall of fame position player who was started the game as a DH. Then again, no one is really a hall of famer until they actually get the votes, as we've seen.
Yes but obviously if Pujols doesn't make the Hall of Fame they literally need to burn the place down. I'm already close to not giving a shit about a Hall without Bonds and Clemens but with Bunning and Baines (and I love Harold!)

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but obviously if Pujols doesn't make the Hall of Fame they literally need to burn the place down. I'm already close to not giving a shit about a Hall without Bonds and Clemens but with Bunning and Baines (and I love Harold!)
yeah Pujols has obvious hall of fame numbers but the way the voters are who knows what they will do if something bad about Pujols happens to come out in the next few years. Also, is Bunning a new inductee? I thought he's been in the hall of fame for 50 years or something.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah Pujols has obvious hall of fame numbers but the way the voters are who knows what they will do if something bad about Pujols happens to come out in the next few years. Also, is Bunning a new inductee? I thought he's been in the hall of fame for 50 years or something.
He has. But he's an example of someone who doesn't really measure up.

Again, if they find a "reason" not to elect Pujols they need to literally burn the place down.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has. But he's an example of someone who doesn't really measure up.

Again, if they find a "reason" not to elect Pujols they need to literally burn the place down.
Yeah he's probably safe. It would take one of those dreaded mlb "reports" to keep him out.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he's probably safe. It would take one of those dreaded mlb "reports" to keep him out.
But Pujols was a ”swell guy”. As we all know, “swell guys” couldn’t have used. Only guys who the reporters didn’t like used.

Piazza? No way.
Bagwell? Nope.
Griffey? Oh laws, no!
Thome? Nuh uh.
Pappi? Mitchell who? We LOVED that guy.
Bonds? He was a meanie-head. He used and will not get in.
Clemens? Full of himself asshole. No HOF for you!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Pujols was a ”swell guy”. As we all know, “swell guys” couldn’t have used. Only guys who the reporters didn’t like used.

Piazza? No way.
Bagwell? Nope.
Griffey? Oh laws, no!
Thome? Nuh uh.
Pappi? Mitchell who? We LOVED that guy.
Bonds? He was a meanie-head. He used and will not get in.
Clemens? Full of himself asshole. No HOF for you!
yeah maybe it would take an A-Rod type offense where he gets suspended for a year or something. (actually it's been a few years so I kind of forgot exactly what happened with A-Rod but if I remember right he was well liked, got busted doing something egregious regarding substances then got a long suspension and now is eligible for the hall but isn't getting enough votes)

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As unusual as game seemed it looked like we were heading toward something similar today. Cards Bucs, Cards score a ton of runs, Bucs bring in Van Meter to pitch, he gives up a couple dongs, Cards bring in Molina to pitch, he serves up a couple. Unfortunately they didn't make it around in the lineup to give Van Meter a chance to bat. The other thing is Molina is obviously not as sure a bet for the Hall of Fame as Pujols. It was weird though, they actually did bring Pujols into the game as a PH/DH but decided not to pitch him this time. I guess his arm was tired.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, I don't remember teams bringing in position players to pitch when they were the team with the big lead. But the Cards have done it twice this year. I guess it's a nice gesture to let the team getting crushed pad their stats as well.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As unusual as game seemed it looked like we were heading toward something similar today. Cards Bucs, Cards score a ton of runs, Bucs bring in Van Meter to pitch, he gives up a couple dongs, Cards bring in Molina to pitch, he serves up a couple. Unfortunately they didn't make it around in the lineup to give Van Meter a chance to bat. The other thing is Molina is obviously not as sure a bet for the Hall of Fame as Pujols. It was weird though, they actually did bring Pujols into the game as a PH/DH but decided not to pitch him this time. I guess his arm was tired.
I don't see how it's possible for Molina to not make the Hall of Fame.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how it's possible for Molina to not make the Hall of Fame.
I hate to say it it, but I agree.

He has all time elite longevity, in an era where longevity doesn’t exist. And he played more year than most catchers as well.

He provides elite defense, even if it is over-rated.

He never had a bat, but he would be the first defense-first player in the Hall.

And the writers love him. Everything else is window-dressing when he leads the league in this stat.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it it, but I agree.

He has all time elite longevity, in an era where longevity doesn’t exist. And he played more year than most catchers as well.

He provides elite defense, even if it is over-rated.

He never had a bat, but he would be the first defense-first player in the Hall.

And the writers love him. Everything else is window-dressing when he leads the league in this stat.
The writers love Posey too which is why even with his short career I think he's a lock

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The writers love Posey too which is why even with his short career I think he's a lock
I want to think Posey is in, but his career was just WAY too short. With 2 missed seasons within his short career.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to think Posey is in, but his career was just WAY too short. With 2 missed seasons within his short career.
He's got the accolades, and he has the special it factor. He's in.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got the accolades, and he has the special it factor. He's in.
12 seasons, with 2 missed within that 12.

Nit disagreeing with your take. But longevity is a thing. That’s why Timmeh was one and done in the HOF voting.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 seasons, with 2 missed within that 12.

Nit disagreeing with your take. But longevity is a thing. That’s why Timmeh was one and done in the HOF voting.
Timmeh's greatness was literally 5-6 seasons only. Posey was always very very good to great, and the likely only HOFer on the dynasty. I'm very confident. ROY, MVP, Silver Slugger, very good defensively, 3 titles, all the leadership and intangibles, writer love. The Hall is supposed to tell the story of baseball and he's part of that story.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmeh's greatness was literally 5-6 seasons only. Posey was always very very good to great, and the likely only HOFer on the dynasty. I'm very confident. ROY, MVP, Silver Slugger, very good defensively, 3 titles, all the leadership and intangibles, writer love. The Hall is supposed to tell the story of baseball and he's part of that story.
Thurmon Munson isn’t a HOFer.

Also ROY. Also an MVP. Has more hits and more GGs. And had a short career cuz he died rather than quit.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thurmon Munson isn’t a HOFer.

Also ROY. Also an MVP. Has more hits and more GGs. And had a short career cuz he died rather than quit.
I'd vote for him too. Posey's getting in.