• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

mock draft thread 2017

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 picks till Browns #33. Taco Charlton still available or still go McDowell or Wormley

I would Lean McDowell, Charlton, Wormley in that order.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1st round pick ought to be the highest rated guy on your board no matter his position when it is your turn. If that person is better than someone you already have at that position you find a way to work it all out.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For those who dont feel lick clicking on the link. :thumb:

redskinsb_logo.gif
Washington Redskins: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
FloridaState_logo.gif

I slotted Forrest Lamp here last week, but check out this quote from Jay Gruden:

"We're getting there, but we've had, what, two first-round picks since I've been here? One of them hasn't played a down, or played one game, and the other one is a guard. We have got to utilize our picks."

Gruden mentioned needed a play-maker, so two players stand out to me: Dalvin Cook and Adoree Jackson. The latter would create turnovers on defense and be a weapon on special teams. Cook, meanwhile, would be the home-run threat the Redskins have lacked out of their backfield for a while now.

Cook posted poor numbers at the combine, but those figures don't factor in his excellent vision, and besides, Cook's high-level production at Florida State is just too great to ignore. Cook also has some minor off-the-field issues, but at No. 17 overall, the upside is too great to ignore.

Follow @walterfootball for updates. Also, you can Support Us on Patreon here!

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, Matt Jones is just the latest in a long line of guys we drafted at the position thinking we could get by with them. We have either drafted guys who would make ok to good pieces as change of pace backs, or parts in a RB by committee setup. I have made no secret I want a set the pace RB. And if the mock board are correct, we might actually have a shot at one of those.

Is there a long line? Guys I can think of are Morris (great pick), Thompson (solid role player), Jones (nada), and Marshall (tbd but unlikely to be much). Also Kelley (decent production so far as a udfa). Not sure what's so bad about those results (not to mention we should look at how the league as a whole does drafting rbs not just how we do).

And we all want a franchise back like Bell (a 2nd rounder) and David Johnson (a 3rd rounder). But a chance at one isn't worth the 17th pick. It's not smart management.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a long line? Guys I can think of are Morris (great pick), Thompson (solid role player), Jones (nada), and Marshall (tbd but unlikely to be much). Also Kelley (decent production so far as a udfa). Not sure what's so bad about those results (not to mention we should look at how the league as a whole does drafting rbs not just how we do).

And we all want a franchise back like Bell (a 2nd rounder) and David Johnson (a 3rd rounder). But a chance at one isn't worth the 17th pick. It's not smart management.

But it is in your opinion smart management to over draft a defensive player for the sake of saying, we must add more talent on the defense at all costs?? Again most of the backs we have picked have had decent production. And thats great considering how we got them, or rather where we picked them. But I would take the production of a Bell or Johnson at 17 over the idea that hey we might luck up and find the next Bell in the 3rd round or later. Unless one of the top tier Defense players is sitting there at 17, most indications are we can still get a serious talent influx on the Defense in the 2nd, 3rd and likely even the 4th round. IM just not seeing the same bang for the buck in the 2nd or later at RB unless we are willing to roll with Mixon who the more certain people push that the more Im saying not really.

By the way, that long line extends back to guys like Skip Hicks. Now we MIGHT have a chance to for all intents get a RB that will for the next 3-5 years take us out of the market for chasing the position. To me thats worth a mid first rounder. If we were picking top ten, I probably would think a little different. But as i have said, I see alot of guys being projected to us more for the fact that we are in need of defensive help more so than these guys are hands down worth the pick.

Look at it like this... if McDowell isnt projected to us at 17, how far down most mocks does he slip?? Same with Peppers. Hell even in the concensus mock draft that this thread started from... we are talking about Reddick being there at 33 if we pass on him. That to you doesnt at least a little bit seem like the defensive pick is being forced?? Or that these guys are being projected to us at 17 more out of need than rock solid BPA??

Last edited:

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who dont feel lick clicking on the link. :thumb:

redskinsb_logo.gif
Washington Redskins: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
FloridaState_logo.gif

I slotted Forrest Lamp here last week, but check out this quote from Jay Gruden:

"We're getting there, but we've had, what, two first-round picks since I've been here? One of them hasn't played a down, or played one game, and the other one is a guard. We have got to utilize our picks."

Gruden mentioned needed a play-maker, so two players stand out to me: Dalvin Cook and Adoree Jackson. The latter would create turnovers on defense and be a weapon on special teams. Cook, meanwhile, would be the home-run threat the Redskins have lacked out of their backfield for a while now.

Cook posted poor numbers at the combine, but those figures don't factor in his excellent vision, and besides, Cook's high-level production at Florida State is just too great to ignore. Cook also has some minor off-the-field issues, but at No. 17 overall, the upside is too great to ignore.

Follow @walterfootball for updates. Also, you can Support Us on Patreon here!
Jackson is a legit playmaker, but he's kinda small. If he's availabe early second, I could see the Skins either trade up or down for him.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is a legit playmaker, but he's kinda small. If he's availabe early second, I could see the Skins either trade up or down for him.

OF which Jackson do you speak??

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Shark how are you man. If you gonna take Cook you might as well take Mixon at 17. He is a complete rb with big play ability also. I question Cook ability to be a between the tackle runner. But I understand the Cook pick, he would fit very nicely is a pass happy off like Gruden. But Shark you now as well as I do you eventually will need a good between the runner, goal line etc. Jones and Kelly I have doubts. If you pick Cook you will need another upgrade with the rb's. Me personally if all of the top players on my board are gone I would take the more conservative route and pick Lamp. But all drafts don't go as expected, which makes thing very interesting.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it is in your opinion smart management to over draft a defensive player for the sake of saying, we must add more talent on the defense at all costs?? Again most of the backs we have picked have had decent production. And thats great considering how we got them, or rather where we picked them. But I would take the production of a Bell or Johnson at 17 over the idea that hey we might luck up and find the next Bell in the 3rd round or later. Unless one of the top tier Defense players is sitting there at 17, most indications are we can still get a serious talent influx on the Defense in the 2nd, 3rd and likely even the 4th round. IM just not seeing the same bang for the buck in the 2nd or later at RB unless we are willing to roll with Mixon who the more certain people push that the more Im saying not really.

By the way, that long line extends back to guys like Skip Hicks. Now we MIGHT have a chance to for all intents get a RB that will for the next 3-5 years take us out of the market for chasing the position. To me thats worth a mid first rounder. If we were picking top ten, I probably would think a little different. But as i have said, I see alot of guys being projected to us more for the fact that we are in need of defensive help more so than these guys are hands down worth the pick.

Look at it like this... if McDowell isnt projected to us at 17, how far down most mocks does he slip?? Same with Peppers. Hell even in the concensus mock draft that this thread started from... we are talking about Reddick being there at 33 if we pass on him. That to you doesnt at least a little bit seem like the defensive pick is being forced?? Or that these guys are being projected to us at 17 more out of need than rock solid BPA??

No that is not my opinion. I've stated that several times.

Taking the production of Bell or DJ isnt the same thing as taking Cook at 17. Theres still a very good chance Cook busts and even if he doesnt bust and is a good player you'll be lucky if you get Bell/DJ level production from him. And Bell/DJ production is the only thing that MIGHT be worth the #17 pick at RB. So basically taking Cook is betting that you can hit the jackpot AND that that jackpot actually makes up for what you spent on the ticket.

To steal your line...look at it like this...

Lets say with the first 16 picks the 16 best prospects (in talent) go off the board. Now lets say Cook is the 17th most talented player in the draft. I could see your argument for taking him if say players 18-28 were all punters, kickers, and RBs. But what are the odds thats the case?

Even if Cook is the #17 player in the draft (a questionable claim), he wouldnt be worth more than the #18 player if the #18 player is a CB. Or a FS. Or a LB. Or a DL. Taking the #20 overall player isnt reaching if hes more valuable than the #17 overall player because of his position. And you know how I know you agree with this concept? Because if the best player available at 17 was a kicker you wouldnt be arguing we should take him (and kicking cost us some games this year).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Shark how are you man. If you gonna take Cook you might as well take Mixon at 17. He is a complete rb with big play ability also. I question Cook ability to be a between the tackle runner. But I understand the Cook pick, he would fit very nicely is a pass happy off like Gruden. But Shark you now as well as I do you eventually will need a good between the runner, goal line etc. Jones and Kelly I have doubts. If you pick Cook you will need another upgrade with the rb's. Me personally if all of the top players on my board are gone I would take the more conservative route and pick Lamp. But all drafts don't go as expected, which makes thing very interesting.

As I have said many times, Mixon at 17 shouldnt happen. I realize he has the talent and is likely a better between the tackles runner. But at what point does character out weigh talent?? I think when we have a situation like this one, it does and should. Its not like he got into a fight with his girl friend/wife and an altercation broke out. He cold cocked a chick that he didnt even know, reportedly because she turned him down for other inappropriate actions.

Pass, period.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 picks till Browns #33. Taco Charlton still available or still go McDowell or Wormley
mcdowelll would be last on that list for me . the other 2 guys are much safer choices and they will be productive

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No that is not my opinion. I've stated that several times.

Taking the production of Bell or DJ isnt the same thing as taking Cook at 17. Theres still a very good chance Cook busts and even if he doesnt bust and is a good player you'll be lucky if you get Bell/DJ level production from him. And Bell/DJ production is the only thing that MIGHT be worth the #17 pick at RB. So basically taking Cook is betting that you can hit the jackpot AND that that jackpot actually makes up for what you spent on the ticket.

To steal your line...look at it like this...

Lets say with the first 16 picks the 16 best prospects (in talent) go off the board. Now lets say Cook is the 17th most talented player in the draft. I could see your argument for taking him if say players 18-28 were all punters, kickers, and RBs. But what are the odds thats the case?

Even if Cook is the #17 player in the draft (a questionable claim), he wouldnt be worth more than the #18 player if the #18 player is a CB. Or a FS. Or a LB. Or a DL. Taking the #20 overall player isnt reaching if hes more valuable than the #17 overall player because of his position. And you know how I know you agree with this concept? Because if the best player available at 17 was a kicker you wouldnt be arguing we should take him (and kicking cost us some games this year).

Thing is, I think Cook is one of the top 10 players in this draft. So at 17, he wouldnt be a reach. Most have him graded as a top ten to 20 PLAYER, not by position.. as a player period. So again why REACH for a guy who is rated 25th like McDowell, when there is a guy who falls any where from top 5-20 by most. The only reason to go away from Cook at that point is if you are placing Defensive NEED as higher than offensive need, because we do need a better RB.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, I think Cook is one of the top 10 players in this draft. So at 17, he wouldnt be a reach. Most have him graded as a top ten to 20 PLAYER, not by position.. as a player period. So again why REACH for a guy who is rated 25th like McDowell, when there is a guy who falls any where from top 5-20 by most. The only reason to go away from Cook at that point is if you are placing Defensive NEED as higher than offensive need, because we do need a better RB.

He was taken 10th in this draft. I would taken him with #17

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in my opinion if you are looking for a runner to get you 1300 rush yards and 10 tds rushing then CM isnt the guy for you that is cook . mixon shouldnt be picked at 17 . . in my opinion if reddick and foster are off the board or an allen doesnt fall to us , then you pick cook or trade down

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said many times, Mixon at 17 shouldnt happen. I realize he has the talent and is likely a better between the tackles runner. But at what point does character out weigh talent?? I think when we have a situation like this one, it does and should. Its not like he got into a fight with his girl friend/wife and an altercation broke out. He cold cocked a chick that he didnt even know, reportedly because she turned him down for other inappropriate actions.

Pass, period.

Reportedly because she turned him down for other inappropriate actions. Reportly LOL but back to cook like I said I question his running between the tackle and that my concern. Would you be happy with Jones and Kelly. If so then Cook is your man but for me I have some concerns.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is fine. You have a different draft board. I think thats high for somebody who scores in the 9th percentile athletically at a position very reliant on athleticism though.

Keep in mind too that some people also have Cook as a late first or 2nd round prospect. Hes not universally a top 20 pick/player.

And again it doesnt have to do with need or offense vs defense. It has to do with value. You want to maximize the value you can receive from the pick. A RB will almost never do that.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in my opinion if you are looking for a runner to get you 1300 rush yards and 10 tds rushing then CM isnt the guy for you that is cook . mixon shouldnt be picked at 17 . . in my opinion if reddick and foster are off the board or an allen doesnt fall to us , then you pick cook or trade down

I think McCaffery is likely to be a back more in line with McCoy... alot of outside zones, motion out from the backfield and such. As such, if we were going to go RB and both he and Cook are on the board, Im hoping for Cook, though IM not upset if we take CM..... And this assumes none of the defensive stars have dropped to us at that point.

So Cook, Reddick if there, or McCaffery.... in that order.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly because she turned him down for other inappropriate actions. Reportly LOL but back to cook like I said I question his running between the tackle and that my concern. Would you be happy with Jones and Kelly. If so then Cook is your man but for me I have some concerns.

Sorry bro, but in a climate where you get arrested if a woman even HINTS you forced yourself on her... Im not taking some one who was recorded knocking a bitch out. Not at pick 17, ad probably not at 49 either.

And Cook is a much better between the tackles runner than either Jones or Kelly. He isnt a battering Ram by any means, but you dont get 1700 yards only running outside stretch plays.. and he didnt.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is fine. You have a different draft board. I think thats high for somebody who scores in the 9th percentile athletically at a position very reliant on athleticism though.

Keep in mind too that some people also have Cook as a late first or 2nd round prospect. Hes not universally a top 20 pick/player.

And again it doesnt have to do with need or offense vs defense. It has to do with value. You want to maximize the value you can receive from the pick. A RB will almost never do that.

IM looking at an average of draft boards. MOST have him as some where between the 5th and usually 12th or so player in this draft. Sure others have him lasting to the second round. But then I have seen people mocking Jonathan Allen to us at 17, I dont expect either to be there for us actually. But I think Cook has a possibility of being there, and if so we shouldnt pass on him.