• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB All Star Salary Cap Draft: CHAT

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, I thought the purpose was to find hitters to compliment defensive players who were offensively challenged... Making the bench an important part of this... So on one hand I'd get docked for trying to stick to the rules as I interpreted them, yet you would probably feel we shouldn't dock you for spending 0 on your bench because you decided the players you selected don't need subs...

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though some guys are playing defense they still have to play the position and not just for a couple games IMO. If tha were the case I could start a better guy at a position that he barely played and I wouldnt get penalized.

So what's the threshold for games played... He played 49 at SS that's more than a couple... I planned to play Butler at LF offensively (3 years 182 games) and Andruw Jones LF defensively (5 years 112 games)... Do they make the cut...? Or would you dock me there as well...? Not trying to cause problems but I'm trying to refiguring my team and don't want to have these being held against me...

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, I thought the purpose was to find hitters to compliment defensive players who were offensively challenged... Making the bench an important part of this... So on one hand I'd get docked for trying to stick to the rules as I interpreted them, yet you would probably feel we shouldn't dock you for spending 0 on your bench because you decided the players you selected don't need subs...
I absolutely will count $0 players against people.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the threshold for games played... He played 49 at SS that's more than a couple... I planned to play Butler at LF offensively (3 years 182 games) and Andruw Jones LF defensively (5 years 112 games)... Do they make the cut...? Or would you dock me there as well...? Not trying to cause problems but I'm trying to refiguring my team and don't want to have these being held against me...
I've been told a season, which was 130 something games, iirc. So, as I interpret it, it is about 125 or so games.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely will count $0 players against people.

I don't have a problem with this honestly but if the $0 players are never used why should that be used against someone? Using myself as an example the eight position players I will be starting both offensively and defensively have a combined 72 Gold Gloves, why do I need to substitute? We are playing at most 20 games I think most of these players could play 20 games without sitting.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been told a season, which was 130 something games, iirc. So, as I interpret it, it is about 125 or so games.

So 112 of Andruw Jones at LF is bad eventhough he was a 10x GG in CF...? Asking for clarification because I may have to cut him loose if that's the case, I'd really rather not though...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 112 of Andruw Jones at LF is bad eventhough he was a 10x GG in CF...? Asking for clarification because I may have to cut him loose if that's the case, I'd really rather not though...

Clarification is do whatever you want, people are going to interpret things differently I cant make people not ding you for starting someone where they didn't play just as I can't make them ding you for it. For me the outfield is a little different than the infield, Andruw Jones could have been an excellent left or right fielder being how good he was in center, When I think Chipper I don't think shortstop. Gary Gaetti pitched 2.1 innings would you hold it against UK if he put him in his pen? Kirby played 11 games at 2B,SS,3B would you hold it against Shane for playing him at one of those positions?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just meant offensively playing players in positions they never really played much. 49 games out of a ton of seasons isnt much but I would think it would be 1 season or so limit. If it was an outfield position it wouldnt matter as much IMO, LF, CF and RF are not huge difference. But like I said if we did a low amount of guys we could place guys all over the field. Jones at LF isnt a big deal IMO and I wouldnt dock you for that.

Chipper at SS is much different than most outfielders. I mean when I think of Chipper I dont think of multiple positions like maybe some infielders, it is 3B

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarification is do whatever you want, people are going to interpret things differently I cant make people not ding you for starting someone where they didn't play just as I can't make them ding you for it. For me the outfield is a little different than the infield, Andruw Jones could have been an excellent left or right fielder being how good he was in center, When I think Chipper I don't think shortstop. Gary Gaetti pitched 2.1 innings would you hold it against UK if he put him in his pen? Kirby played 11 games at 2B,SS,3B would you hold it against Shane for playing him at one of those positions?

First the Gaetti thing made me laugh... Second you're right, it was a loophole since some jerk took Bench and that same jerk took Vizquel... That same jerk took Rollie Fingers which made me jump on Goose which maybe I could have done without but my other BP targets were taken as well... I kinda looked at the hitters as DHs so IMO playing a guy at "SS" really wasn't anything but playing him at DH... But it will be fine, it'll just take me another 10 hours to figure out how to adjust... :tsk:

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First the Gaetti thing made me laugh... Second you're right, it was a loophole since some jerk took Bench and that same jerk took Vizquel... That same jerk took Rollie Fingers which made me jump on Goose which maybe I could have done without but my other BP targets were taken as well... I kinda looked at the hitters as DHs so IMO playing a guy at "SS" really wasn't anything but playing him at DH... But it will be fine, it'll just take me another 10 hours to figure out how to adjust... :tsk:
I know they don't "play the field" in this mock, but the exercise was to field a team, not just grab 9 DHs. Because of this, I feel that positions should matter on offense. As long as it's close to a season, I think you should be able to play them wherever they played. In your case, I would dock points for putting Chipper at SS. I wouldn't dock points at all for using Andruw Jones at RF.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Teixeira debuted after 2000.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh?

It is supposed to be a best of 5 series with the opponent you are matched up with. Right?

It is kind of crazy how many ways things can be interpreted. That is why I think there should be position eligibility rules in the next one. I was planning to use McGwire at 3B originally, because I had the same thought @wlk3 did. Really, it is a good strategy the way the current rules are written. If a player is not playing defense there and he is eligible, I don't see why WLK should get docked for using Chipper at SS.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

It is supposed to be a best of 5 series with the opponent you are matched up with. Right?

It is kind of crazy how many ways things can be interpreted. That is why I think there should be position eligibility rules in the next one. I was planning to use McGwire at 3B originally, because I had the same thought @wlk3 did. Really, it is a good strategy the way the current rules are written. If a player is not playing defense there and he is eligible, I don't see why WLK should get docked for using Chipper at SS.
I don't know if it is stated in the original rules, but it was stated more than once that you could sub defense same POSITION FOR POSITION, meaning you could have your offensive lineup(by legit position), and sub players in for defense at a real position. Otherwise, people would have drafted nothing but 1st basemen and right fielders. If you look at the teams page, nearly everyone drafted this way
It was supposed to be a 5 game series as well

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with this honestly but if the $0 players are never used why should that be used against someone? Using myself as an example the eight position players I will be starting both offensively and defensively have a combined 72 Gold Gloves, why do I need to substitute? We are playing at most 20 games I think most of these players could play 20 games without sitting.
Again, holding 0 players against someone is pretty absurd. First, we could have outlawed 0 players...but didn't. Second, players should be judged on the contribution they make in their role. A few of my 0's for example...Gary Gaetti as a defensive 3rd baseman....I can 100% guarantee you Gaetti was a better defensive 3rd basemen than some of the guys that cost $$. He was a pretty good hitter too, though that doesn't matter because he is only there for defense, where he was superb. Kirk Gibson was a league MVP, there are a lot of $$ guys who never did that. John Rocker wasn't Mariano, but if you compare his 3-4 peak years against just about any other lefty reliever in the draft, I think most people would be in for a surprise. Games should be judged straight up, and that ""I will hold it against someone'' mess is always a two way street. Judging should be about who would win a series, and nothing else.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I have been slacking this week in keeping this draft going. Sorry everyone. Lets finish this draft today and get into the play in games.

@Bolts is OTC till 1pm. Weekends 3hrs OTC and we start at 10am (EST)

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So add/drops are at the end of the draft?