• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Misc' Positives & Negetives

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Positives:

Great game from Ray McDonald.
Aldon Smith looked good in his debut.
Whitner played well; had a critical stop on 3rd down (think it was 3rd).
Justin Smith is a monster as usual.
Obviously Teddy Ginn.
Alex Smith didn't blow the game.
Anthony Davis didn't play like a rookie. Did pretty well actually.

Negatives:

Gore & running game in general looked weak
Crabtree with 1 reception for 4 yards. Yay.

My #1 concern for the team, the DL, made me feel a lot better today. Still concerned about the NT position, but the DEs look great. The OL may finally be coming together too. The WR corps looks downright weak though. And Alex did nothing to change my mind about him.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you really still waiting for Alex Smith to do something to change your mind? He is what he is, and I've accepted that a long time ago.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to give a shout out to Hunter for that blitz pick up that I feel saved the TD drive, if he didn't do that... at best it was a sack and then 3rd and long I think, at worst it would have been a fumble.

Nice to see a young RB picking up rushers.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Are you really still waiting for Alex Smith to do something to change your mind?

Not really. Just mentioning it in case some people still are. Maybe some think Harbaugh can make chicken soup out of chicken you-know-what.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense looked good , nice to see a pass rush, Ginn looked like he was a man on a mission. Alex looked decentish only dissapointment is Harbaugh seems as conservative as Singletary on offense. Everyone and their mother knew red zone equaled gore up the gut. One play action which turned into a Smith Run for a td the rest was just well lets play not to lose.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Another positive:

Hatbaugh. He stuck with the run & won ugly. I'll take it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DL generated a good pass rush early in the game and towards the end... Still need a full 4 quarters of play though....

OL played well, the running game needs work but pass protection was good. Did seattle blitz a lot?

Need more play from our WRs n TEs(funny since that's our strength)

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another positive:

Hatbaugh. He stuck with the run & won ugly. I'll take it.

I didn't really see Harbaugh's performance as a positive; not a negative either but I guess I was expecting to see more innovation and versatilityy in the offense under him. I will say that having Snyder come in there as an eligle receiver and purposely move to draw the Hawks off side was brilliant.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think we saw innovation & versatility; it just didn't work very much 'cause the passing game is weak.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the two best positives were no turnovers from the offense and the play of the d line.

-Alex had a great completion percentage, needs to get us 7(although the play calling was questionable in the red zone)
-Run game was terrible, but it looked like it was more due to the line.
-Special teams all around was good minus the roughing the kicker at the start, Ginn does take some stupid chances but if he is going to give us 7 every once in a while you need to take the good with the bad

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we saw innovation & versatility; it just didn't work very much 'cause the passing game is weak.

I saw it differently. The worst thing about the passing game was the terrible run blocking of the O line. When you have a mediocre QB like Smith you've got to be able to run the ball in order to set some things up for him. He got zero help in that regard. But I'm interested to hear what you thought was innovative about this offense. Looked like the same old stuff to me.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the two best positives were no turnovers from the offense and the play of the d line.

-Alex had a great completion percentage, needs to get us 7(although the play calling was questionable in the red zone)
-Run game was terrible, but it looked like it was more due to the line.
-Special teams all around was good minus the roughing the kicker at the start, Ginn does take some stupid chances but if he is going to give us 7 every once in a while you need to take the good with the bad

Yes. Good point; no turnovers was huge.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it differently. The worst thing about the passing game was the terrible run blocking of the O line. When you have a mediocre QB like Smith you've got to be able to run the ball in order to set some things up for him. He got zero help in that regard. But I'm interested to hear what you thought was innovative about this offense. Looked like the same old stuff to me.

I thought it looked more innovative. That toss play that was designed as a cut back where Smith was blocking. That other play where they lined up in the strong I formation and then the backs split out wide and it turned into a pass. That play at the endzone where they had 3 wideouts bunched at the top of the screen and then handed it off to Gore on 3rd down.

Those are just off the top of my head, but the running game did look more innovative, it just didn't work.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Offense:

Positives-
Smith actually using his legs by scrambling for yardage and using them on rollouts
Actually using different formations besides jumbo
Solid offensive line play

Negatives-
Play calling was too conservative. We all know Alex Smith isn't Aaron Rodgers but if you can't trust him to enough to do things besides screen passes and hand the ball off than we might as well put CK in. It was clear Seattle was loading up the front and we really didn't do much to break them out of that. I'm not going to be overly critical of the play calling now since it was the first game, defense was playing lights out, and the offense is still a work in progress with the short offseason. But we don't stand a chance against Dallas if we don't open things up a bit.

Defense:

Positives-
Good pass rush, good coverage, and all around a great defensive effort

Negatives-
It was against Seattle's offense and unfortunately we can't play them every week. So we're not quite sure how much success was due to Seattle just plain sucking on offense or the efforts of our defense.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I think it didn't work because Seattle's bigass front 4 win the battle in the trenches against the 49ers O-Line. Their rushing defense has the O-Line's number, they've pretty much shut the 49ers down the last year and so far this year when they've tried to pound it through.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To add, as much as Harbaugh has come out and backed smith he still had to have some questions about him coming into the game(I am a smith supporter, yet am not sold I just think he has gotten a raw deal) I would think that after not turning the ball over and completing 75% of his throws that Harbaugh may begin to trust Smith more and open up the offense. At least I hope!!

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought it looked more innovative. That toss play that was designed as a cut back where Smith was blocking. That other play where they lined up in the strong I formation and then the backs split out wide and it turned into a pass. That play at the endzone where they had 3 wideouts bunched at the top of the screen and then handed it off to Gore on 3rd down.

Those are just off the top of my head, but the running game did look more innovative, it just didn't work.

I'll give you that. I remember thinking out loud "Hmm, that's different" when that play happened. I'd also agree that the running failure was on the O Line.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't agree more. Once we get the passing game going those formation shifts will work a lot better to confuse defenses.