• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minor League Discussion Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hickory has some power potential there though, Guzman, Brinson, Mazara, and maybe Profar

They haven't got there yet but it could be impressive

Its true, if you take 2 of the top future & potential power slugger with 70 & 80 grades for power out of the mix (and Nick Williams to boot), it seems like a big step backward but its not as bad as you would think

If I saw it correctly it looked Guzman had only been in 6 games. What is going on there? Do you know if he is injured?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I saw it correctly it looked Guzman had only been in 6 games. What is going on there? Do you know if he is injured?

I think he got in trouble for missing the team bus or something and was sent back to extended ST

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey Gallo had a 3 hr and 3 BB night last night. How is that possible? Jesus he was locked in.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey Gallo had a 3 hr and 3 BB night last night. How is that possible? Jesus he was locked in.

Nice to see he's possibly taken the next step, hopefully he continues to cut back on the strike outs as he advances to the upper levels, definitely see him in AA sometime this year, possible Alfaro as well

Lewis Brinson has gotten hot in Hickory and cut back on the strikeouts as well, still way too high but not as bad as it was earlier in the year

Beras is 4 for his last 13, hopefully that means something

Definitely a lack of power thus far in the year, especially compared to last year

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At MB Nick Williams has hit HRs in 2 of his last 3 games, looking better after some early struggles

In Frisco, Odor is having some troubles, not serious but maybe just an adjustment period (Outside of Jackson & Odor, not too much excites me in AA)

RR is even worse, mostly just Tepesch and ZERO hitting prospects for me to like

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At MB Nick Williams has hit HRs in 2 of his last 3 games, looking better after some early struggles

In Frisco, Odor is having some troubles, not serious but maybe just an adjustment period (Outside of Jackson & Odor, not too much excites me in AA)

This team could be scary good with homegrown talent in a few years.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not excited about Ryan Rua?

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

* Not related to Lenny Dykstra.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At RR I have been keeping an eye on catcher Brett Nicholas. Not sure how he is as an overall catcher but his avg/obp/slg is 317/423/483 with 3HRs and 13 RBIs. It seems he has gotten better offensively each year as he progresses up the minor league chain. Scott Baker has done well along with Tepesch pitching.

Odor has his average slowly rising. He and Sardinas started off terrible. The entire team seems offensively challenged right now. Glad Luke Jackson has been looking good.

The offense in general at MB is hitting at a ridiculous clip as far as average goes. Wolff had his first mediocre game last night.

Hickory is not the offensive team they were last year but has some players to watch especially Brinson but he still needs to cut down on the strikouts. May want to watch pitcher Yohander Mendez. More k's (16) than IP (15.1) and just 1 walk. ERA of 1.17 and WHIP of 0.91.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At RR I have been keeping an eye on catcher Brett Nicholas. Not sure how he is as an overall catcher but his avg/obp/slg is 317/423/483 with 3HRs and 13 RBIs. It seems he has gotten better offensively each year as he progresses up the minor league chain. Scott Baker has done well along with Tepesch pitching.

Odor has his average slowly rising. He and Sardinas started off terrible. The entire team seems offensively challenged right now. Glad Luke Jackson has been looking good.

The offense in general at MB is hitting at a ridiculous clip as far as average goes. Wolff had his first mediocre game last night.

Hickory is not the offensive team they were last year but has some players to watch especially Brinson but he still needs to cut down on the strikouts. May want to watch pitcher Yohander Mendez. More k's (16) than IP (15.1) and just 1 walk. ERA of 1.17 and WHIP of 0.91.

For me, as a general rule, don't pay any attention to pitchers before they hit AA anymore, also anyone thats a non-prospect like Baker

Looking through the rosters there were MANY I had high hopes for that have stalled out in MB, Hickory or flamed out completely

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, as a general rule, don't pay any attention to pitchers before they hit AA anymore, also anyone thats a non-prospect like Baker

Looking through the rosters there were MANY I had high hopes for that have stalled out in MB, Hickory or flamed out completely

That may be true as far as pitchers go. I am sure you were one of those that Luke Jackson on your radar but your right about the majority. I just put Mendez name out because I had never heard of him and his stats jumped out at me. Did something happen to Baker in 2012 and most of 2013 because hits stats were not too bad before that.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be true as far as pitchers go. I am sure you were one of those that Luke Jackson on your radar but your right about the majority. I just put Mendez name out because I had never heard of him and his stats jumped out at me. Did something happen to Baker in 2012 and most of 2013 because hits stats were not too bad before that.

TJ for Baker I believe

Yohander Mendez is one I've heard of and I check him out when ever I'm looking at stats, but I don't feel the need to pass along the info at this time

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo continues his torrid April with a 2 for 3 including a double and a walk and no SO. Batting .357

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jorge Alfaro
Born: 06/11/1993 (Age: 20)
Bats: Right Throws: Right
Height: 6' 2" Weight: 185
Primary Position: C
Secondary Position: 1B

Evaluator - Jason Parks
Report Date - 05/01/2014
Dates Seen - Spring Training 2014
Affiliate - Myrtle Beach Pelicans (High-A, Rangers)

Physical/Health
Man-strength; accurate height; weight appears closer to 220; chiseled; highly athletic; body projects well.

MLB ETA - 2015
Risk Factor - High
OFP - 70
Realistic Role - 60; first-division player
Video - No

Tool / Future Grade / Report

Hit / 55 / Torque-heavy swing that can get loose and hard to control; approach puts him in poor hitting counts and he struggles to work himself back into at-bats; bat speed is plus-plus and capable of pulling major league quality velocity; struggles with secondary stuff; massive when he gets extension but not a short to the ball type that can maneuver the barrel with great ease or work with challenging pitches; .265-275 type

Power / 60 /Raw power is 70; game power likely to play in the plus range; excellent strength; excellent bat speed; power core is right-center gap; looks to extend and drive the baseball out of the park; lift in the swing; 25+ bombs in the future.

Baserunning/Speed / 55 / Routinely clocks sub 4.2 times to first; easy plus (at present) with the second gear; likely to slow with continued physical maturity and physical demands on the position; will have well above-average speed for a catcher; better-than-you-think athlete.

Glove / 60 / Receiving skills continue to improve; softer and more stable with the glove; no longer stabs and drifts; hands and wrists are very strong; broad shoulders and a big target; can get overly aggressive in the running game and cost a pitcher a few strikes throughout a game; blocks the ball very well because of the athleticism and improved footwork; plus with more refinement.

Arm / 80 / Elite arm strength; routinely pops sub 1.85; clocked catcher during sample in the 1.75 range; quick release; throws lasers on a line; true weapon; can get overly aggressive on back-picks and isn't quick to forget missed opportunities; will control running game at highest level.

Overall
Rare five-tool talent at the position; arm strength is elite and utility has a chance to get there; raw power is plus-plus and should play at highest level; hit tool and approach aren't on the same level as other attributes; torque-heavy swing is hard to make quick pitch adjustments with and can be fooled by sequence and off-speed; hit tool could play to solid-average if everything clicks; won't be contact heavy hitter but should be able to hit for 25 HRs from a premium defensive spot; tool-based ceiling suggests franchise player potential; makeup and work ethic to fail and adjust.

Baseball Prospectus | Eyewitness Accounts: Eyewitness Accounts for May 6, 2014

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll put this here... since it involves the minors. I knew they weren't paid very well...but yikes!
Really gotta love the game of baseball to keep at it so long. (this, of course, does not include any signing bonuses the player may or may not have gotten).

Minor League Salary

• Until a minor league player is placed on a 40-man roster, monthly salaries are $1150 for the short season teams, $1300 for low A and $1500 for high A. For players repeating a year at the same level, the salary goes up $50 each year. For AA, the monthly salary is $1700 and it goes up $100 per month for subsequent years. For AAA, the monthly salary is $2150 per month and it goes up to $2400 the second year and $2700 the third year.
• If a player becomes a minor league free agent, higher salaries can be negotiated.
• A player must be placed on the team’s 40-man roster or be subject to the Rule 5 Draft at the end of his fourth season (if signed at age 19 or higher) or fifth season (if signed at age 18 or lower).
•Salary for first year on 40-man roster:
2013: $39,900
2014: $40,750
•Salary for second year on 40-man roster or if one or more days of Major League service time:
2013: $79,900
2014: $81,750
•Meal money is $25 per road day.
•Minor league salary must be at least 60% of the player’s combined minor league and Major League salary in the preceding season.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is awesome! Close knit group! hahahahaha

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jorge Alfaro
Born: 06/11/1993 (Age: 20)
Bats: Right Throws: Right
Height: 6' 2" Weight: 185
Primary Position: C
Secondary Position: 1B

Evaluator - Jason Parks
Report Date - 05/01/2014
Dates Seen - Spring Training 2014
Affiliate - Myrtle Beach Pelicans (High-A, Rangers)

Physical/Health
Man-strength; accurate height; weight appears closer to 220; chiseled; highly athletic; body projects well.

MLB ETA - 2015
Risk Factor - High
OFP - 70
Realistic Role - 60; first-division player
Video - No

Tool / Future Grade / Report

Hit / 55 / Torque-heavy swing that can get loose and hard to control; approach puts him in poor hitting counts and he struggles to work himself back into at-bats; bat speed is plus-plus and capable of pulling major league quality velocity; struggles with secondary stuff; massive when he gets extension but not a short to the ball type that can maneuver the barrel with great ease or work with challenging pitches; .265-275 type

Power / 60 /Raw power is 70; game power likely to play in the plus range; excellent strength; excellent bat speed; power core is right-center gap; looks to extend and drive the baseball out of the park; lift in the swing; 25+ bombs in the future.

Baserunning/Speed / 55 / Routinely clocks sub 4.2 times to first; easy plus (at present) with the second gear; likely to slow with continued physical maturity and physical demands on the position; will have well above-average speed for a catcher; better-than-you-think athlete.

Glove / 60 / Receiving skills continue to improve; softer and more stable with the glove; no longer stabs and drifts; hands and wrists are very strong; broad shoulders and a big target; can get overly aggressive in the running game and cost a pitcher a few strikes throughout a game; blocks the ball very well because of the athleticism and improved footwork; plus with more refinement.

Arm / 80 / Elite arm strength; routinely pops sub 1.85; clocked catcher during sample in the 1.75 range; quick release; throws lasers on a line; true weapon; can get overly aggressive on back-picks and isn't quick to forget missed opportunities; will control running game at highest level.

Overall
Rare five-tool talent at the position; arm strength is elite and utility has a chance to get there; raw power is plus-plus and should play at highest level; hit tool and approach aren't on the same level as other attributes; torque-heavy swing is hard to make quick pitch adjustments with and can be fooled by sequence and off-speed; hit tool could play to solid-average if everything clicks; won't be contact heavy hitter but should be able to hit for 25 HRs from a premium defensive spot; tool-based ceiling suggests franchise player potential; makeup and work ethic to fail and adjust.

Baseball Prospectus | Eyewitness Accounts: Eyewitness Accounts for May 6, 2014

I noticed it says his MLB ETA is 2015. Around ST I said he has a chance to be on the team next year and was killed by everyone. I hope he continues to improve.