• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota Twins vs. Texas Rangers 8/30-9/1

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets fans say 2015 is their year:) perhaps that will be the WS matchup.

I don't understand why Harvey isn't having the TJ surgery,
I guess I think he'll end up completely tearing it, and then go down anyway

Thoughts?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?

There's no benefit in continuing to pitch him and the mets won't be contenders for 2 years minimum. With D'Arnaud being a big part of that but not taking over till next year what is the logic in waiting? :noidea:

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hadn't read that, what sense does it make not to have it now and be ready for '15?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parker against Price today. Price will have to be really tough today which he has been lately as Parker has been pitching really well. Big series for those two teams. Go Rays.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parker against Price today. Price will have to be really tough today which he has been lately as Parker has been pitching really well. Big series for those two teams. Go Rays.

I'm actually questioning if I should start Parker against the rays hmmm

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the O's at Red Sox game last night the announcers were talking about Chris Davis. One of them (Costas, I think) said that Davis attributes his new found success as a major league hitter in large part to Robinson Cano having told him to just be what he is, a power hitter. Went on to say that Davis feels like TX was trying to make him more of a contact hitter, something he just isn't. Anyway, I thought it was kind of interesting and decided to see what any of you might think about that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?

Great question. I don't understand the logic of letting rest/rehab, whatever, and run the risk of him not ever being 100% again. Or like you said, he waits until next season, tears it completely and the Mets are another year behind. Besides, this surgery has gotten to be routine and the results are excellent.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great question. I don't understand the logic of letting rest/rehab, whatever, and run the risk of him not ever being 100% again. Or like you said, he waits until next season, tears it completely and the Mets are another year behind. Besides, this surgery has gotten to be routine and the results are excellent.

Cause the mets have a chance at the playoffs :rollseyes:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the O's at Red Sox game last night the announcers were talking about Chris Davis. One of them (Costas, I think) said that Davis attributes his new found success as a major league hitter in large part to Robinson Cano having told him to just be what he is, a power hitter. Went on to say that Davis feels like TX was trying to make him more of a contact hitter, something he just isn't. Anyway, I thought it was kind of interesting and decided to see what any of you might think about that.

Then I think Texas should of just let him be that guy

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard harvey has been pitching with forearm tightness since high school

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To the extent that Davis' purported remarks are accurate, one certainly can't argue with that. On the other hand, I'm not so sure that it is in fact true that we tried to make Davis something that he isn't naturally. I don't exactly remember the time line, but I'm thinking that Rudy Jamarillo was still our hitting coach much of the time that Davis was in the organization and I always had the impression that Rudy favored more of a "free swinging"approach to that of just trying to make contact. Could be wrong about all of that, of course. Thought another fan might have some insight.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Davis had himself to blame a lot more than the organization. Even he admits he put too much pressure on himself.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already said he wouldn't have been able to do it in Texas. Those were his own words. It was a mental block for him. He could have gone anywhere else and found success as long as it was outside of the state of Texas.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis has had nothing but complimentary things to say about his time in Texas, and said in an interview a few months ago, his maturity was lacking while here and he greatly appreciated the Rangers for giving him a chance to move on. He also credited his wife with helping him to "grow up." So, yeah it's interesting but it's news to me he feels this way because he's never expressed this before. At least, I don't remember it.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Davis had himself to blame a lot more than the organization. Even he admits he put too much pressure on himself.

I also recall Davis having said that. Guess that's why I was kind of taken aback by the comments last night.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis has had nothing but complimentary things to say about his time in Texas, and said in an interview a few months ago, his maturity was lacking while here and he greatly appreciated the Rangers for giving him a chance to move on. He also credited his wife with helping him to "grow up." So, yeah it's interesting but it's news to me he feels this way because he's never expressed this before. At least, I don't remember it.

Same here.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Like quite a few here I first got to watch CD at Frisco and he quickly became one of our favorites as TEX was going through that period post-Teixeira of trying out half a dozen pretenders at 1b. We knew it couldn't happen fast enough for CD to take over. Maybe CD began feeling that pressure then ... even before he got to AAA.

Even then I don't ever remember seeing a batter with a longer swing than Davis. Watching him now on nightly highlights it seems like it is even longer ... and looks like he is swinging at 60mph. Don't think even Hamilton's swing is as long ... and definitely not as slow as Chris'.

I wonder why pitchers even pitch to him any more ... perhaps CD subconsciously keeps his K-rate high enough to entice pitchers to try and K him ... and he tricks them into throwing a strike. He ought to be as susceptible to that low and away pitch that kills Hamilton (and Murphy) ... but unlike when he was with TEX ... his eye has developed to the point that if he can get to it ... he's not pulling the ball pitched there any more.

If you are interested ... here's his HR plots ... indexed by true distance. Note the speed off the bat of his longest.

ESPN Home Run Tracker :: Player and Field Detail