• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Millen's protege says he was looking for good hands

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fauria was a rookie. I'm not quite sure you can call a player 'useless', when in limited time at the TE position, he had as many touchdown receptions as Pettigrew, Durham, Ross, Ogletree, Burleson, Broyles and Scheffler combined. I am not saying Fauria is going to turn into a pro bowl TE, but for a team who struggles in the red zone quite often -- He'd seem to be a valuable asset for the team.

With Pettigrew -- people do get frustrated with the drops and fumbles. He was a 1st round pick and he has issues catching the ball. I think that has a lot to do with why people feel the same way about Ebron, as his biggest issue is dropping passes (he had the highest drop rate in the NCAA of any TE).

To answer the question regarding why I felt the TE spot wasn't a necessity -- Detroit spent a 1st round pick on Pettigrew and he handles the underneath routes. Fauria, as a rookie, had 7 touchdowns, so why not give him a chance to show he can do it again? Also -- he can handle the red zone targets at the position.

My biggest pet peeve with the pick -- Mayhew -- in 6 drafts has spent zero 1st round picks on LB, CB or Safety, yet he has now drafted TWO TE's in the 1st round.

Ebron's highlights and clips should highlight the reasons why the Lions aren't very fond of Fauria.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got 50Vbucks that says MikeD uses "drops" in his response.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got 50Vbucks that says MikeD uses "drops" in his response.

Getting ready to put an end to the stupid drop rate argument Smitty. Check back in 30 minutes.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here it is...the official rebuttal to this thread:

It should be obvious that NFL executives and scouts know what to look for when determining if a player (any) has a real problem with dropping the ball. The amount of balls dropped isnt what detrrmine's a players full ability-it doesn't end there. It surely doesn't stop NFL teams from acquiring these players even when they think tendency may show its ugly head at times. The bottom line is, in regards to play-making players that occasionally drop passes, is that their abilities to make plays outweighs the tendency to drop balls.

Now if you consider a 11% drop rate, it looks worse than it really is. For example; If a player catches 63 of the 70 passes thrown to him, its not terrible if that player made some meaningful plays, scored, etc, etc. Drops are mostly highlighted when a player struggles with everything else.

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS

Brandon Marshall was and still is known for his drops. He still produces and the Bears didnt hesitate to take him from Miami. He had 35 drops over a three year period. Wes Welker, one of the best in the game, had 32. Roddy White had 30. DeSean Jackson, Garcon, Driver and Crabtree all had over 20. Even Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and James Jones all dropped 12% or more at one point of time. Hell, Crabtree caught everything in college and still managed to have a high drop rate in the NFL.

We should be done talking about drops.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ LionStop1... The WR and TE posts I put up more than 2+ months ago, by Peshek, from Rotoworld, only examine "the most recent seasons stats". just sayin'. Maybe if the scouts had looked into more than 1 year, the story of stats may very well look different.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if you consider a 11% drop rate, it looks worse than it really is.

ah yes -- here comes the excuses. this is starting to sound like the argument about how Bush and Bell didn't fumble the ball that much last year (even though they were 1 and 2 in lost fumbles), when you look at the total amount they carried the ball.:laugh3:

if you want to look at something worse than the drop rate -- figure out why such a mismatch for defenses only scored 3 touchdowns last year and didn't score in his last 7 games.

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS

Brandon Marshall was and still is known for his drops. He still produces and the Bears didnt hesitate to take him from Miami. He had 35 drops over a three year period. Wes Welker, one of the best in the game, had 32. Roddy White had 30. DeSean Jackson, Garcon, Driver and Crabtree all had over 20. Even Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and James Jones all dropped 12% or more at one point of time. Hell, Crabtree caught everything in college and still managed to have a high drop rate in the NFL.

Why don't you post their college stats instead of what they did in the NFL. That'd help your argument much more than posting about drops in the NFL.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't you guys learned that you can't argue with MikeD yet? I mean, shit, the guy even changed his screen name when we moved to the 'SportsHoopla to better reflect his persona.

Honestly, though, we all should have seen this coming. No matter who we picked it would have been dead wrong. Complaining is just his thing, so the draft is the perfect time of year for him because he gets something new to bitch about.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ah yes -- here comes the excuses. this is starting to sound like the argument about how Bush and Bell didn't fumble the ball that much last year (even though they were 1 and 2 in lost fumbles), when you look at the total amount they carried the ball.:laugh3:

if you want to look at something worse than the drop rate -- figure out why such a mismatch for defenses only scored 3 touchdowns last year and didn't score in his last 7 games.

Why don't you post their college stats instead of what they did in the NFL. That'd help your argument much more than posting about drops in the NFL.

I didnt say they didnt fumble that much. Where did that come from?

Figure out why he didnt score much? In have no idea but N.C wasn't that great so thst probably had something to do with it. Calvin Johnson only had 5 one year, does that make him bad?

I'm not offering excuses, I'm laying out the facts to let all the "drop rate" guys know that the drop rate doesn't even matter as much as you guys claim it does. Seems as if you try to find anything possible on the guys you dont care for. It was the same for Watkins.

But, like I said, I'd be willing to put a bet on the table about Ebron and what he will produce.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest pet peeve with the pick -- Mayhew -- in 6 drafts has spent zero 1st round picks on LB, CB or Safety, yet he has now drafted TWO TE's in the 1st round.

We had drafted a defensive player in 3 of the last 4 first rounds prior to this year. Stop your bitching already. Enough is enough at some point. Everyone gets that you don't like the Ebron pick. You don't seem to get, though, that we're not all suddenly going to change our point of view and agree with you.

I'm not really sure what you're still trying to argue at this point? You don't think Ebron was a good pick. Given who was left on the board, most of us are ok with the pick. It really seems as simple as that, yet you keep posting the same crap over, and over, and over, and over... I think this should be your new avatar until further notice:

http://realitysandwich.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/groundhog.jpg

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, like I said, I'd be willing to put a bet on the table about Ebron and what he will produce.

There ya go......Make a poll. Let us take part, Make it public and let the cards fall where they may.

After year one we will know who voted what and what the results were.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt say they didnt fumble that much. Where did that come from?

Figure out why he didnt score much? In have no idea but N.C wasn't that great so thst probably had something to do with it. Calvin Johnson only had 5 one year, does that make him bad?

I'm not offering excuses, I'm laying out the facts to let all the "drop rate" guys know that the drop rate doesn't even matter as much as you guys claim it does. Seems as if you try to find anything possible on the guys you dont care for. It was the same for Watkins.

That was a shot at me, referencing a prior argument. I pointed out that while, yes, Bush led the league in fumbles, 4 fumbles relative to his overall touches wasn't all that bad. Of course I was dead wrong, because Bush led the league in fumbles, and that's the stat he latched on to.

That's neither here nor there, though... this kind of stuff just proves what a royal douchebag the guy is- I hadn't had any interaction with him for a long time now, and he takes a shot at me out of the blue...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now, let's leave the name calling out of it, otherwise it's just another Hijacked thread.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blasphemy! No good WR has ever dropped a pass! These guys are garbage!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now, let's leave the name calling out of it, otherwise it's just another Hijacked thread.

It wasn't name calling, I was just pointing out a fact. I had been minding my own business on this front until he took a shot at me... he gets what he gets at that point, imo..

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't name calling, I was just pointing out a fact. I had been minding my own business on this front until he took a shot at me... he gets what he gets at that point, imo..

Taking a shot at someone is part of the board but name calling takes it down a notch......

Maybe Lionstop will create a poll on Ebron.......Receptions, Yards, drops, Tds, etc... and we can all weigh in and settle it much like I did last year with all the Kool-aid drinkers, and Pessimist about the Lions overall record......Most of the board posted on it and it got to the root of what was causing some stuff.....

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to vote for the name calling. :pop2:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's neither here nor there, though... this kind of stuff just proves what a royal douchebag the guy is- I hadn't had any interaction with him for a long time now, and he takes a shot at me out of the blue...

I wasn't 'taking a shot at you'. As a matter of fact -- I didn't mention your name at all, you did. I was just pointing out how Lions fans, in general, find ways to justify issues with the team -- That is just one I remembered off the top of my head that seemed to fit with this conversation.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK -- let's hear what you think Ebron will do with the Lions.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said no less than 50 catches and 6 tds. I bet he will be in the offensive rookie of the year discussion.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can be done with the discussion though because the people that dont like him will focus on just the negatives while others take the good with the bad and just roll with it until we see him.

I wouldnt have liked Donald at all but I wouldnt try to pull out all the stops to make him not worthy of the pick.