• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Millen's protege says he was looking for good hands

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Webster played basketball all four years of college, while also playing foosball the last 2 years. He didn't run out of eligibility for BB.

Joe Reitz never gets any love for being a basketball player turned football player. Prolly cuz he's a lineman, but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Webster played basketball all four years of college, while also playing foosball the last 2 years. He didn't run out of eligibility for BB.

thank you for correcting me. i just figured he had done the same thing as the others.

he has some very impressive numbers he put up at the combine. i think clowney was the only guy who ran faster among the DL. if Detroit hadn't drafted Ebron -- they could have given him a shot on either side of the ball.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Trustme... Webster is like 2-6/100th of a second off from many of Clowney's #'s... I highly doubt Detroit is looking at him as a TE... Mayhew clearly stated in a Freep report the other day, he has high hopes Webster plays this year as a DE... he's the flame-thrower edge-rusher they were looking for and I noted several times since the comp picks came out that he may warrant consideration for one of those picks.

no problema on the correcting.. just wanted it known he wasn't a Gates, Graham, J. Thomas

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds decent but...you wouldnt have liked the Beckham pick...either...right?

Nope. I think we can all agree no selection left on the board was perfect for the Lions.

I think he will be a good gauge as to how successful Ebron and his pick is for the short term. Beckham is in a very similar position as Ebron and although they are different sizes and positions their roles will be similar. I do think Ebron has a higher ceiling in the red zone but the Lions have more options to offset that advantage.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Trustme... Webster is like 2-6/100th of a second off from many of Clowney's #'s... I highly doubt Detroit is looking at him as a TE... Mayhew clearly stated in a Freep report the other day, he has high hopes Webster plays this year as a DE... he's the flame-thrower edge-rusher they were looking for and I noted several times since the comp picks came out that he may warrant consideration for one of those picks.

no problema on the correcting.. just wanted it known he wasn't a Gates, Graham, J. Thomas

Webster is practice squad fodder this season. He may get a shot if he plays well but he is a project plain and simple. I questioned why a project at that spot but it's done and over. The Lions have a pretty set roster so Webster getting a 53 man spot is a long shot IMO.

I also wonder who odd man out at TE will be. I am thinking Williams is practice squad bound as well. With a FB it will be easier to use only 1 blocking TE in Pettigrew and two receiving TEs in Fauria and Ebron. I wonder if Fauria's roster spot is in doubt?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Webster is practice squad fodder this season. He may get a shot if he plays well but he is a project plain and simple. I questioned why a project at that spot but it's done and over. The Lions have a pretty set roster so Webster getting a 53 man spot is a long shot IMO.

I also wonder who odd man out at TE will be. I am thinking Williams is practice squad bound as well. With a FB it will be easier to use only 1 blocking TE in Pettigrew and two receiving TEs in Fauria and Ebron. I wonder if Fauria's roster spot is in doubt?

I don't think any team is going to draft a 4th rounder only to cut him before the season ever starts, so any thoughts of getting Webster to the practice squad should be re-evaluated... that simply won't happen. Someone else would snatch him up off waivers in a heartbeat. He was drafted to be the 4th DE/rush OLB this year and hopefully grow into a larger role within a few years.

As far as TEs, I think we keep all 4 given the way the roster is shaping up so far. I think we'll only keep 5 WRs this year instead of 6, as Ebron and Fauria play more of a WR role than a traditional TE role anyhow.