• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan adds to coaching staff

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe they thought they might have a better chance of playing at another school.

Funny how that is suddenly an ok thing to happen, but when it was Alabama, it was sooooooo bad.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they are forcing out a bunch. Very unsat

I think it should happen more often. They are given scholarships for a reason, if they can't handle the reality of that, then they should go somewhere other than Alabama.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless UM has a mass exodus of transfers -- that is how big the recruiting class will be. They have already written multiple articles on it in the local papers.

Of course -- I'm sure UM will have a handful of players with 'medical hardships' (all legit of course). So it may hit 21-23. :D

I just want to watch the double standards and hypocrisy.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it should happen more often. They are given scholarships for a reason, if they can't handle the reality of that, then they should go somewhere other than Alabama.
They are supposed to be 4 year scholarships. If they are leaving after the 4 years no problem. If before and they are being forced as I just found some articles on, its wrong.
I get you want Bama to win but the kids lives are more important than the W.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how that is suddenly an ok thing to happen, but when it was Alabama, it was sooooooo bad.

Is THIS what Alabama did? Wow! I thought Alabama oversigned and then told recruits they would be "gray-shirted" AFTER they signed. It seems to me that Alabama has also had players take transfers when they realized Saban wasn't going to play them, but I have not criticized Alabama for this situation.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe they thought they might have a better chance of playing at another school.
After they were told to leave. Looks like its happening on the BBall team too at MI.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are supposed to be 4 year scholarships. If they are leaving after the 4 years no problem. If before and they are being forced as I just found some articles on, its wrong.
I get you want Bama to win but the kids lives are more important than the W.

It's a fallacy that the kids are being done wrong is the main problem with your post.

Medical Scholarships = they get to finish college.
Transfers = they get to finish college.

Where are these kids being done wrong?

And let's see your articles. The only one I know of had the people quoted come out and say it was bullshit. Did Saban force our backup QB to leave the team after 4 games this year?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fallacy that the kids are being done wrong is the main problem with your post.

Medical Scholarships = they get to finish college.
Transfers = they get to finish college.

Where are these kids being done wrong?

And let's see your articles. The only one I know of had the people quoted come out and say it was bullshit. Did Saban force our backup QB to leave the team after 4 games this year?
An adult made the kid a promise. You sign and you get 4 years at X school. Then the adult broke their word. That is wrong.
If they are medical that is a different discussion. They are unable to play.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is THIS what Alabama did? Wow! I thought Alabama oversigned and then told recruits they would be "gray-shirted" AFTER they signed. It seems to me that Alabama has also had players take transfers when they realized Saban wasn't going to play them, but I have not criticized Alabama for this situation.

Kids take greyshirts by choice. It's not like they had their offers pulled right before signing day or anything.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An adult made the kid a promise. You sign and you get 4 years at X school. Then the adult broke their word. That is wrong.
If they are medical that is a different discussion. They are unable to play.

Scholarships are for 1 year.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids take greyshirts by choice. It's not like they had their offers pulled right before signing day or anything.

Some do--there was one this year, I think. Others have them forced upon them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I guess if a school gives a kid an academic scholarship, they should be able to keep that scholarship even if they get poor grades.

I was offered an academic scholarship to MTSU. It had specific grade requirements I had to keep or I would have lost it immediately.

It's an opportunity given to a kid, if they don't keep up their end of the bargain, then shit should happen.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pulled offer is even worse IMO. That really fucks the kid.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. That's new.
2. You don't know who it's been offered too.
3. It's stupid and doesn't mean shit.
Its not new, look at the date of the article.
Everyone or at least thats what Saban said. Is he lying?
That is blasphemy to say that about your God Saban.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure about that?

February 2016: Frustrated Alabama recruit decommits due to grayshirt request

Paul Myerberg of USA Today:

Schools use the grayshirt to add recruits without sacrificing scholarship numbers. Though a grayshirt graduates at the same time as other prospects, delaying the player’s enrollment allows a program to count that scholarship offer toward the following season’s total — making the grayshirt a helpful tool for those programs who tend to over-sign recruits.

But [Riley] Cole noted that the late date of Alabama’s asking him to sit out a semester — he said it occurred just a few days before signing day — wasn’t going to fly, hence his decision to move on to another option.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I guess if a school gives a kid an academic scholarship, they should be able to keep that scholarship even if they get poor grades.

I was offered an academic scholarship to MTSU. It had specific grade requirements I had to keep or I would have lost it immediately.

It's an opportunity given to a kid, if they don't keep up their end of the bargain, then shit should happen.
What end are they not keeping up? You are assuming that someone bigger or faster is not coming in and they are not just pushed to the side.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not new, look at the date of the article.
Everyone or at least thats what Saban said. Is he lying?
That is blasphemy to say that about your God Saban.

It's new in terms of people crying about Alabama.

And I don't see where it's says everyone is being offered one. He is saying all schools will offer them.

At any rate, it doesn't mean shit. I've never heard of anyone actually having their scholarships pulled, except for 5th year seniors who have already graduated. Kids transfer when they get passed on the depth chart, sometimes 4 games into a season apparently.