• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan adds to coaching staff

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said -- each person he has hired is extremely qualified for the position and a couple could be considered overqualified. The guy he just hired coached in the NFL for 11 years for crying out loud.

And if your school is located in a state like Michigan, where you don't have a ton of high profile recruits -- what is the fastest way to get your foot in the door in hotbed states?

People were upset about UM going to IMG -- yet he was able to pull a handful of recruits from IMG this year. People said his satellite camps wouldn't do anything and he'd never pull a recruit from SEC country. He had not one, but two this year (Solomon and Collins).

For years, UM never played hardball when it came to recruiting, when it came to roster manipulation, etc. If you want to play with the big boys, you have to now. I have no issue with anything Harbaugh has done as long as it is within the rules in place.

Yes. Hiring player coaches is not scummy in the least. It is also a really intelligent long term strategy. Happy?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh would excell in the SEC.

Harbaugh wouldn't have been able to sign the class Michigan has had the past 2 years in the SEC.

Which is funny because Big10 people have been crying about over signing for years, especially Michigan fans since Urban started doing it at Ohio St when he came, which stopped Ohio St fans from saying anything, but escalated Michigan fans complaining.

And as soon as the SEC quits doing it, the Big10 starts.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh wouldn't have been able to sign the class Michigan has had the past 2 years in the SEC.

Which is funny because Big10 people have been crying about over signing for years, especially Michigan fans since Urban started doing it at Ohio St when he came, which stopped Ohio St fans from saying anything, but escalated Michigan fans complaining.

And as soon as the SEC quits doing it, the Big10 starts.
The B1G has had rules for oversigning well before the SEC and they are still in place.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G has had rules for oversigning well before the SEC and they are still in place.

If Michigan isn't oversigning, then nobody ever oversigned.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said -- each person he has hired is extremely qualified for the position and a couple could be considered overqualified. The guy he just hired coached in the NFL for 11 years for crying out loud.

And if your school is located in a state like Michigan, where you don't have a ton of high profile recruits -- what is the fastest way to get your foot in the door in hotbed states?

People were upset about UM going to IMG -- yet he was able to pull a handful of recruits from IMG this year. People said his satellite camps wouldn't do anything and he'd never pull a recruit from SEC country. He had not one, but two this year (Solomon and Collins).

For years, UM never played hardball when it came to recruiting, when it came to roster manipulation, etc. If you want to play with the big boys, you have to now. I have no issue with anything Harbaugh has done as long as it is within the rules in place.

Analysts aren't allowed to recruit. If your analysts are helping with recruiting, then Michigan is going to get bent over hardcore by the NCAA.

And if you are hiring actual position coaches based on these reasons, then Michigan will pay for that with an inability to develop players.

I still find it funny that you believe a school like Michigan can only pull in recruits with gimmicks.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent looked at their numbers and losses. Where are they over?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysts aren't allowed to recruit. If your analysts are helping with recruiting, then Michigan is going to get bent over hardcore by the NCAA.

And if you are hiring actual position coaches based on these reasons, then Michigan will pay for that with an inability to develop players.

I still find it funny that you believe a school like Michigan can only pull in recruits with gimmicks.

Read this..https://compliance.sports.uga.edu/c...-staff/non-coaching-staff-member-declaration/

They can make emails/social media. No.phone calls, unless recruit has an NLI. Can recruit on campus. Oddly, they are permitted to pick kids up at the airport for official visits.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan had a class with only like a dozen players in it the year he arrived at UM. That is why he has been able to sign the amount he has.

Next year, the class will be in the 18-20 range for the number of players signed.

The coaching changes threw UM's roster out of whack, as they went from Rich Rod to Hoke to Harbaugh. Rich Rod recruits who didn't fit In with Hoke transferred out. So Hoke had a ton of scholarships to fill. When Harbaugh was brought in. They had a ton of scholarship players on the team and Harbaugh had no time to recruit. So his first class was nothing.

If UM were signing 28-30 EVERY YEAR -- then I'd agree 100% UM is oversigning. With the rules the B1G has in place -- it is not possible to do so. Though, you can open up scholarships if you'd like to use the route Sabah took and hand out medical hardships to benchwarmers. Urban Meyer used that loophole to rebuild OSU's roster and Harbaugh has followed suit.

I love that UM is playing more cutthroat in how they run the program. It is the only way to compete with the big boys. UM isn't there yet, but I think in the near future UM will at least be competitive.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan had a class with only like a dozen players in it the year he arrived at UM. That is why he has been able to sign the amount he has.

Next year, the class will be in the 18-20 range for the number of players signed.

No it won't.

The coaching changes threw UM's roster out of whack, as they went from Rich Rod to Hoke to Harbaugh. Rich Rod recruits who didn't fit In with Hoke transferred out. So Hoke had a ton of scholarships to fill. When Harbaugh was brought in. They had a ton of scholarship players on the team and Harbaugh had no time to recruit. So his first class was nothing.

If UM were signing 28-30 EVERY YEAR -- then I'd agree 100% UM is oversigning. With the rules the B1G has in place -- it is not possible to do so. Though, you can open up scholarships if you'd like to use the route Sabah took and hand out medical hardships to benchwarmers. Urban Meyer used that loophole to rebuild OSU's roster and Harbaugh has followed suit.

I love that UM is playing more cutthroat in how they run the program. It is the only way to compete with the big boys. UM isn't there yet, but I think in the near future UM will at least be competitive.

The crying about Saban and over signing started in his 1st year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this..https://compliance.sports.uga.edu/c...-staff/non-coaching-staff-member-declaration/

They can make emails/social media. No.phone calls, unless recruit has an NLI. Can recruit on campus. Oddly, they are permitted to pick kids up at the airport for official visits.

Good link, but I don't think the allowed activities supports claims that these guys are being hired because it helps in recruiting. The rules set are basically specifically done as a means to prevent them from providing an advantage in recruiting.

I think they are hired because it helps in recruiting 1 person - their kids. I could see occasionally where a staff member could be hired for what they actually provide, but these jobs are just legal ways to pay parents it looks like to me.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they pushing kids out or did they have the space from kids leaving early?

As many as were pushed out at Alabama.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good link, but I don't think the allowed activities supports claims that these guys are being hired because it helps in recruiting. The rules set are basically specifically done as a means to prevent them from providing an advantage in recruiting.

I think they are hired because it helps in recruiting 1 person - their kids. I could see occasionally where a staff member could be hired for what they actually provide, but these jobs are just legal ways to pay parents it looks like to me.

They are allowed to attend HS games that their family appears in, so they can scout those. The one issue seems to be electronic communication. That section was very ambiguous. Texas hired former player and NFL CB M Huff. It is certainly a recruiting plus to have him around campus as kids visit. Have him on social media. Texas finally hired graphic designers. Everyone is hired for recruiting, the only question is whether it is for a direct or indirect effect

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it won't.

The crying about Saban and over signing started in his 1st year.

Unless UM has a mass exodus of transfers -- that is how big the recruiting class will be. They have already written multiple articles on it in the local papers.

Of course -- I'm sure UM will have a handful of players with 'medical hardships' (all legit of course). So it may hit 21-23. :D

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are allowed to attend HS games that their family appears in, so they can scout those. The one issue seems to be electronic communication. That section was very ambiguous. Texas hired former player and NFL CB M Huff. It is certainly a recruiting plus to have him around campus as kids visit. Have him on social media. Texas finally hired graphic designers. Everyone is hired for recruiting, the only question is whether it is for a direct or indirect effect

I meant safety, not sure what I was thinking there