• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meyer is getting screwed

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be incorrect. The Boermeester incident. Was reported to the tennis coach by witnesses. The SC tennis coach in turn followed procedure and reported through the proper channels. And it went Title IX.
Not only was that the right thing to do, it is what is required by Law. The tennis coach was obligated to report because he/she is an employee of the university - it has nothing whatsoever to do with the capacity in which the individual is employed.

I find it hard to believe one would say a coach and program should not be involved in a DV case involving student athletes. Because its not related to athletics.
I will concede this point - to an extent. When a student athlete is involved in any sort of an "incident", the coach should make some decisions about 1) how to counsel the kid (that's what coaches do, after all) and b) are there any implications toward the student's scholarship or privileges to compete on the team.[/quote]

But - that's not what I was talking about a year ago. In the Boermeester case (if I recall correctly - and that is a big if) I was arguing that the coach should not be interjecting into the title IX investigation. That has to happen completely blind of any implications on athletics. Then, after the investigation/proceedings (if any) have concluded, then you figure out the implications on athletics - and that is where the coach should be involved.

In some respects, the Meyer/Smith situation in 2015 is similar. Meyer should not be interjecting himself into the criminal investigations in any way. However, he does have to make a decision about whether the situation has any ramifications on Smith's continued employment. Those decisions may or may not depend on the outcomes of any criminal investigations.

TLDR: interfering with an investigation = bad. Working with a person who is being/has been investigated to figure out what comes next = good.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didnt insist anything. A cover-up means trying to prevent people from discovering the truth. Since the police were involved and those reports are public record it would be impossible for Meyer to cover it up. Unless you are implying he worked with the PD and tried to get those reports destroyed. Is that what you are saying, he was trying to commit a cover-up which by definition would require destroying those reports?
No.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's "this"? The investigation? Or the social media shitstorm?

All of it. If Meyer doesn't lie, there may not even be an investigation. Social media would probably still be a little bit of a shitstorm because tOSU is a "name school" like Bama, USC, Michigan, etc. and folks always want a reason to go after them. But it likely wouldn't be nearly as big without the lie to feed it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you honestly claiming home and away arrests :L

Outside of Columbus — the last place on earth a Michigan football player would get preferential treatment is in East Lansing. So UM had absolutely no pull in the court system or with the police in EL.

And for the love of god — never speak of Greg Lewis again. Here I am reading your responses as if the guy was kicked off the team for doing nothing — then I read what he did and his plea was getting the book thrown at him. Why was USC going to do — send him the playbook in jail, so he could be ready for camp:L

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may very well have been. But if Meyer simply tells the truth and says it's a personnel matter that won't be discussed further...it pretty much ends the story.

Even if McMurphy wanted to pursue it further, there wouldn't be much to pursue.
I agree he fucked himself with the lie.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only was that the right thing to do, it is what is required by Law. The tennis coach was obligated to report because he/she is an employee of the university - it has nothing whatsoever to do with the capacity in which the individual is employed.

I will concede this point - to an extent. When a student athlete is involved in any sort of an "incident", the coach should make some decisions about 1) how to counsel the kid (that's what coaches do, after all) and b) are there any implications toward the student's scholarship or privileges to compete on the team.

But - that's not what I was talking about a year ago. In the Boermeester case (if I recall correctly - and that is a big if) I was arguing that the coach should not be interjecting into the title IX investigation. That has to happen completely blind of any implications on athletics. Then, after the investigation/proceedings (if any) have concluded, then you figure out the implications on athletics - and that is where the coach should be involved.

In some respects, the Meyer/Smith situation in 2015 is similar. Meyer should not be interjecting himself into the criminal investigations in any way. However, he does have to make a decision about whether the situation has any ramifications on Smith's continued employment. Those decisions may or may not depend on the outcomes of any criminal investigations.

TLDR: interfering with an investigation = bad. Working with a person who is being/has been investigated = good.[/QUOTE]

The two incidents are similar. In regards to some people jumping to conclusions. Before the investigation is complete. And the actual facts are released. Other than that it’s a lot of assumption, double standards etc....I’m sorry dude but I can’t see holding a coach to a higher level of accountability for an adult relationship. Than that of students or student athletes.

As far as conspiracy theories involving the police. The same could be said for the Perry incident at UM. Which Harbaugh reported to his higher ups. Just as Meyers said he did. I’m not sure I would say the same ideals would be held if this was not OSU or Meyers at this point. Especially given the double standards being used in opinions. Or insinuating anyone interfered in an investigation based on speculation. That would be careless

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain to me again why Ohio State convened the group of people they did and embarked on a 14-day investigation?

Here is a hint: It's because the head coach claimed no knowledge of an event for which it was demonstrated he had knowledge. That is pretty much the textbook definition of a cover up.
They convened the group because of the McMurphy report, dumbass. He's the one the broke the news about the allegations in the first place, so they're investigating the chain of events internally in regards to how the allegations were reported.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of it. If Meyer doesn't lie, there may not even be an investigation. Social media would probably still be a little bit of a shitstorm because tOSU is a "name school" like Bama, USC, Michigan, etc. and folks always want a reason to go after them. But it likely wouldn't be nearly as big without the lie to feed it.
There's an investigation because of the McMurphy report. Meyer's comments to the media really didn't mean anything other than it looked bad, but he wasn't in violation of anything. McMurphy's report is what brought the 2015 allegations to public light, hence the investigation.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They convened the group because of the McMurphy report, dumbass. He's the one the broke the news about the allegations in the first place, so they're investigating the chain of events internally in regards to how the allegations were reported.
:L they put him on suspension after Meyer lied and after the 5k+ word response to it throwing out more accusations. There aren't many known facts in this thing, but this is purely one of them.

No lie, no reason to suspend him while still doing an investigation. You don't suspend him if he told the truth and later said he passed it along. That's not what he did. It caused him to be put on admin leave.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Columbus — the last place on earth a Michigan football player would get preferential treatment is in East Lansing. So UM had absolutely no pull in the court system or with the police in EL.

And for the love of god — never speak of Greg Lewis again. Here I am reading your responses as if the guy was kicked off the team for doing nothing — then I read what he did and his plea was getting the book thrown at him. Why was USC going to do — send him the playbook in jail, so he could be ready for camp:L
Are we going to pretend Perry didn’t do the same? Because Lewis was a home arrest and Perry was an away arrest :L. Home field advantage in regards to legal matters is asinine

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have no right to haul him in when there are no charges and no signs of abuse. I already educated you on this but I see that tin foil hat is still squarely on your head.

"The investigation resulted in no charges against Smith, a former Ohio State University assistant football coach fired last month for a string of domestic-abuse allegations dating to 2009. However, the cover pages of the report taken Oct. 26, which were released, note injuries to Smith’s wife, and that a kitchen knife, broken iPhone and two small USB drives were taken as evidence from Courtney Smith’s home."

Powell police refuse to release report involving Zach Smith

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you really need the SJW pin for that one. By no means whatsoever has the idea that there was a coverup been mentioned by anyone but losers like yourself. The police were involved, multiple times. That right there eliminates the possibility of a coverup, yet idiots like you and red alert have taken it upon yourselves to create a narrative that there's no evidence of simply to feign outrage or virtue signal. Get real.

Others are suspicious and continue digging, they just aren't using that terminology.

Dispatch complaint seeks Powell's release of Zach Smith police report

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L they put him on suspension after Meyer lied and after the 5k+ word response to it throwing out more accusations. There aren't many known facts in this thing, but this is purely one of them.

No lie, no reason to suspend him while still doing an investigation. You don't suspend him if he told the truth and later said he passed it along. That's not what he did. It caused him to be put on admin leave.
OSU put Meyers on paid leave and hired a very high profile investigative team. Because of the social climate. In todays era of Social media in these cases thats become common procedure for good reason.

remove the coach from the situation.Remove the attention from the program.Sort out the situation through the proper channels. Until they define standards in Social Media reporting this is basic protocol.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didnt insist anything. A cover-up means trying to prevent people from discovering the truth. Since the police were involved and those reports are public record it would be impossible for Meyer to cover it up. Unless you are implying he worked with the PD and tried to get those reports destroyed. Is that what you are saying, he was trying to commit a cover-up which by definition would require destroying those reports?

No. Those reports are being withheld from the public.

Dispatch complaint seeks Powell's release of Zach Smith police report

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU put Meyers on paid leave and hired a very high profile investigative team. Because of the social climate. In todays era of Social media in these cases thats become common procedure for good reason.

remove the coach from the situation.Remove the attention from the program.Sort out the situation through the proper channels. Until they define standards in Social Media reporting this is basic protocol.
No shit. The point was there wouldn't have been a reason to shield the school and put him on leave if he didn't lie. That was like pouring lighter fluid on a candle. This thing isn't 20% as bad without his responses.

It made it look like there was a coverup. Without that response he would not have been put on leave. They probably still do an investigation, but it's nothing close to this.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's an investigation because of the McMurphy report. Meyer's comments to the media really didn't mean anything other than it looked bad, but he wasn't in violation of anything. McMurphy's report is what brought the 2015 allegations to public light, hence the investigation.

True. But I think that the lie probably triggered the investigation. Without it, I don't think McMurphy's report gets as much attention.

The lie made it look like there was a possible cover up and caused folks to wonder what else was being lied about and got them asking more questions.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we going to pretend Perry didn’t do the same? Because Lewis was a home arrest and Perry was an away arrest :L. Home field advantage in regards to legal matters is asinine

What in God’s green earth are you talking about?
Lewis took a plea deal for a felony domestic violence with injury. His plea deal included every punishment imagineable and you are comparing it to Grant Perry.

If Perry had beat a girl — he’d have been booted. Hell — UM kicked a WR off the team for punching a guy.

Stop with your foolishness, as if USC went above and beyond to kick Lewis off the team. He beat the living hell out of his girlfriend. When a player gets a jail sentence, 3 years probation, 10 year ban for owning a fire arm, a permanent restraining order where he can get within 100 yards of the person and not a weekend DV class — he got 52 weeks of DV classes. OF COURSE they kicked him out:pound:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit. The point was there wouldn't have been a reason to shield the school and put him on leave if he didn't lie. That was like pouring lighter fluid on a candle. This thing isn't 20% as bad without his responses.

It made it look like there was a coverup. Without that response he would not have been put on leave. They probably still do an investigation, but it's nothing close to this.
And by that standard McMurphy lied,Tom Herman lied....Meyers said he didn't know of an arrest in 2015 .After being asked by a reporter who didn't have the police report he claimed.... Social media can be an amazing tool when used properly. But venues like Twitter,Facebook etc...Can just as easily become a massive weapon. When used carelessly by "journalists". .And it really doesn't take long for social media outrage to hit. Once it hits the point of a media frenzy. The institution and Urban Meyers in this case needed to take actions. Theres some very thorough articles on the dangers of social media. That give a very solid analysis on situations like this.

Which is why they will eventually need regulations especially when money iand personal gain involved. As well as the media source being held accountable. Whether it be legal or financial

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. But I think that the lie probably triggered the investigation. Without it, I don't think McMurphy's report gets as much attention.

The lie made it look like there was a possible cover up and caused folks to wonder what else was being lied about and got them asking more questions.
Collusion?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in God’s green earth are you talking about?
Lewis took a plea deal for a felony domestic violence with injury. His plea deal included every punishment imagineable and you are comparing it to Grant Perry.

If Perry had beat a girl — he’d have been booted. Hell — UM kicked a WR off the team for punching a guy.

Stop with your foolishness, as if USC went above and beyond to kick Lewis off the team. He beat the living hell out of his girlfriend. When a player gets a jail sentence, 3 years probation, 10 year ban for owning a fire arm, a permanent restraining order where he can get within 100 yards of the person and not a weekend DV class — he got 52 weeks of DV classes. OF COURSE they kicked him out:pound:
Perry isn't accountable for DV it happened in east lansing....Wasnt Harbaugh...Dantonio knew ..

Btw Harbs procedure was to report it to his higher up. No different than Meyers statement on how he handled Smith....