• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meyer is getting screwed

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this had happened at, say, Otterbein University, no one here would know about it (with, perhaps the exception of any people who happen to live in Westerville Ohio.) However, a story involving the possible cover up of domestic abuse in a college football program is going to get my attention (and the attention of many) regardless of the location. I also care about (for example) the case of the Stanford Swimmer (Brock POS Turner) even though it has nothing to do with football at all.

But to answer the question of "Would you care?" - the answer is yes. I have seen the wreckage that domestic abuse causes in the lives of multiple people to whom I am close. You can make fun of me all you want for caring about the issue, but you should understand that the opinions of others don't determine who I am or what I care about.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this had happened at, say, Otterbein University, no one here would know about it (with, perhaps the exception of any people who happen to live in Westerville Ohio.) However, a story involving the possible cover up of domestic abuse in a college football program is going to get my attention (and the attention of many) regardless of the location. I also care about (for example) the case of the Stanford Swimmer (Brock POS Turner) even though it has nothing to do with football at all.

But to answer the question of "Would you care?" - the answer is yes. I have seen the wreckage that domestic abuse causes in the lives of multiple people to whom I am close. You can make fun of me all you want for caring about the issue, but you should understand that the opinions of others don't determine who I am or what I care about.
Yeah, you really need the SJW pin for that one. By no means whatsoever has the idea that there was a coverup been mentioned by anyone but losers like yourself. The police were involved, multiple times. That right there eliminates the possibility of a coverup, yet idiots like you and red alert have taken it upon yourselves to create a narrative that there's no evidence of simply to feign outrage or virtue signal. Get real.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By no means whatsoever has the idea that there was a coverup been mentioned by anyone but losers like yourself.
Explain to me again why Ohio State convened the group of people they did and embarked on a 14-day investigation?

Here is a hint: It's because the head coach claimed no knowledge of an event for which it was demonstrated he had knowledge. That is pretty much the textbook definition of a cover up.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your stance on the SC case form last year aside.Which does contradict this statement. I wouldn't assume here was a "cover up". Nor would I assume Meyers didn't follow procedure. This was actually worse as per a coaches responsibility being as it regarded a student athlete. But this was barely a blip on the radar. Comparing the two situations.What makes Harbaugh different than Meyers?

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...felony-sex-assault-charges-dropped/435093001/

Jim Harbaugh stands by Michigan's decision to reinstate Grant Perry

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your stance on the SC case form last year aside.Which does contradict this statement. I wouldn't assume here was a "cover up". Nor would I assume Meyers didn't follow procedure. This was actually worse as per a coaches responsibility being as it regarded a student athlete. But this was barely a blip on the radar. Comparing the two situations.What makes Harbaugh different than Meyers?

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...felony-sex-assault-charges-dropped/435093001/

Jim Harbaugh stands by Michigan's decision to reinstate Grant Perry

Is this a serious question? He immediately suspended Perry after the incident. He was suspended for 3 weeks until the charges were dropped and he took a plea for resisting arrest.

Smith coached from 2009 to 2018 — had a restraining order out against him in 2015, had a personal protection order granted by the court in 2017, was arrested for DUI in 2013 and had lord knows how many calls to 911 on him from 2009 to 2018.
In 2017, the court deemed Smith ‘a clear and imminent danger’ to Courtney and he was still a coach at OSU.

Now I don’t think Meyer should be punished for the actions of Smith, but if Meyer didn’t report all he knew about Smith to OSU — he may get fired just because of the huge shit storm that’d be attached to the school because of this.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your stance on the SC case form last year aside.Which does contradict this statement.
I have no idea what you are trying to say. How does my stance on the SC case form last year contradict my statement?

I wouldn't assume here was a "cover up". Nor would I assume Meyers didn't follow procedure.
You don't have to assume anything. The reason tOSU is looking into this incident is because Meyer lied about what he knew in 2015. Meyer himself admitted that he was covering up his knowledge of those events when he said he didn't handle things well on media day.

But this was barely a blip on the radar.
It actually isn't "just a blip". The football program at tOSU (or any university that plays at the FBS level) is their single biggest public outreach program. When it takes a hit, the entire University takes a hit in one of their most marketable assets - their public image.

We weren't comparing them, but I would say that the biggest difference is that Jim Harbaugh is not a subject of this thread. That said, there is very little information about Harbaugh that anyone can provide that can do much to lower my opinion of Harbaugh as a human being. I had him pegs as an absolute POS when he was coaching at Stanford. (And, strangely enough, he is really the perfect fit for that place.)

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a serious question? He immediately suspended Perry after the incident. He was suspended for 3 weeks until the charges were dropped and he took a plea for resisting arrest.

Smith coached from 2009 to 2018 — had a restraining order out against him in 2015, had a personal protection order granted by the court in 2017, was arrested for DUI in 2013 and had lord knows how many calls to 911 on him from 2009 to 2018.
In 2017, the court deemed Smith ‘a clear and imminent danger’ to Courtney and he was still a coach at OSU.

Now I don’t think Meyer should be punished for the actions of Smith, but if Meyer didn’t report all he knew about Smith to OSU — he may get fired just because of the huge shit storm that’d be attached to the school because of this.
SC let 5 star WR Greg Lewis go after facing the same charges as Perry. Zero tolerance en sech..Harbaugh knew and it involved a student athlete. Michigan must have had a police "cover up" when the charges were lowered. Not sure what this says about Harbaugh or Michigan in regards to their stance on DV......Glass houses

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what you are trying to say. How does my stance on the SC case form last year contradict my statement?

Ya kinda went 360 on the topic...Especially when you said these issues should not even involve the coaches or Ads

You don't have to assume anything. The reason tOSU is looking into this incident is because Meyer lied about what he knew in 2015. Meyer himself admitted that he was covering up his knowledge of those events when he said he didn't handle things well on media day.
Meyers said he didnt know about the arrest. There was no arrest. You're basing this on the reports of McMurphy which were edited.

It actually isn't "just a blip". The football program at tOSU (or any university that plays at the FBS level) is their single biggest public outreach program. When it takes a hit, the entire University takes a hit in one of their most marketable assets - their public image.

When you treat an incident based on University or Coach. And disregard other incidents that were treated as blips. Thats not following a set standard for all institutions and coaches. And dilutes the topic of DV....This should be about the Smiths.

We weren't comparing them, but I would say that the biggest difference is that Jim Harbaugh is not a subject of this thread. That said, there is very little information about Harbaugh that anyone can provide that can do much to lower my opinion of Harbaugh as a human being. I had him pegs as an absolute POS when he was coaching at Stanford. (And, strangely enough, he is really the perfect fit for that place.)
I would say the opinion on Urban and or OSU. Play a major role in this. When this happens quite a bit involving student athletes. Including big institutions.Ie Michigan. With little to no coverage or reaction. In comparison to the Urban outrage. Involving adults...
I made some edits learned the technique from McMurphy.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SC let 5 star WR Greg Lewis go after facing the same charges as Perry. Zero tolerance en sech..Harbaugh knew and it involved a student athlete. Michigan must have had a police "cover up" when the charges were lowered. Not sure what this says about Harbaugh or Michigan in regards to their stance on DV......Glass houses

Perry was charged in EAST LANSING (home of Michigan State). Also — Perry cut in line in front of a group of girls at a bar. They got into an argument and he smacked her on the ass.

I just looked up Greg Lewis — he was arrested for domestic violence with injury, was given a 60 day jail sentence, 3 years of probation, 10 year ban from owning a weapon, a personal protection order and weekly domestic violence classes for a year AND THAT WAS WHAT HE PLEADED DOWN TO.

Just stop with that ignorance — EVERY TEAM would boot a player off if they beat a girl so badly, their plea deal included the book being thrown at them. Here you are acting like USC did something special. :L

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain to me again why Ohio State convened the group of people they did and embarked on a 14-day investigation?

Here is a hint: It's because the head coach claimed no knowledge of an event for which it was demonstrated he had knowledge. That is pretty much the textbook definition of a cover up.

cov·er-up
ˈkəvərˌəp/
noun
  1. 1.
    an attempt to prevent people's discovering the truth about a serious mistake or crime.

The police were already involved multiple times. No way to hide the truth when the law and courts are already involved.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perry was charged in EAST LANSING (home of Michigan State). Also — Perry cut in line in front of a group of girls at a bar. They got into an argument and he smacked her on the ass.

I just looked up Greg Lewis — he was arrested for domestic violence with injury, was given a 60 day jail sentence, 3 years of probation, 10 year ban from owning a weapon, a personal protection order and weekly domestic violence classes for a year AND THAT WAS WHAT HE PLEADED DOWN TO.

Just stop with that ignorance — EVERY TEAM would boot a player off if they beat a girl so badly, their plea deal included the book being thrown at them. Here you are acting like USC did something special. :L
Are you honestly claiming home and away arrests :L

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made some edits learned the technique from McMurphy.
Good for you. Now we should work on the difference between doing a 180 and doing a 360. Because, unless you are talking about an electron spin wavefunction, rotation by 360 degrees leaves an object unchanged.

Ya kinda went 360 on the topic...Especially when you said these issues should not even involve the coaches or Ads
So - math error not withstanding, let me try to illustrate the difference.

Suppose I have a student in my class come to me and say, "I'm being investigated by the Title IX office on campus. Can you intervene on my behalf and make it go away?" My answer is, "No. That would be inappropriate."

Now - suppose I have a TA come to me and say, "I'm being investigated by the Title IX office on campus. Can you intervene on my behalf and make it go away?" My answer is still, "No. That would be inappropriate." However, now I have a different responsibility to seek an understanding of how this affects the TA's employment status.

The USC incident involved the equivalent of a student/professor relationship. The Ohio State issue involves the equivalent of a TA/professor relationship (actually closer to a Department Chair/professor relationship.)

So - before you accuse me of going 180 on the topic, you need to understand that the two situations are different.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cov·er-up
ˈkəvərˌəp/
noun
  1. 1.
    an attempt to prevent people's discovering the truth about a serious mistake or crime.
Meyer's comments at the presser fit that definition, if he knew about actionable offenses by Zach Smith in 2015. That is what tOSU is investigating. You can insist all you want that a "cover up" has to involve the police or a criminal act. The question here is whether or not Meyer met his contractual obligations in 2015 or not.

I'm not saying he did or didn't. But that doesn't change the reality that what tOSU is investigating, by necessity, has to address the question of whether or not Meyer was forthright now and in 2015.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for you. Now we should work on the difference between doing a 180 and doing a 360. Because, unless you are talking about an electron spin wavefunction, rotation by 360 degrees leaves an object unchanged.

So - math error not withstanding, let me try to illustrate the difference.

Suppose I have a student in my class come to me and say, "I'm being investigated by the Title IX office on campus. Can you intervene on my behalf and make it go away?" My answer is, "No. That would be inappropriate."

Now - suppose I have a TA come to me and say, "I'm being investigated by the Title IX office on campus. Can you intervene on my behalf and make it go away?" My answer is still, "No. That would be inappropriate." However, now I have a different responsibility to seek an understanding of how this affects the TA's employment status.

The USC incident involved the equivalent of a student/professor relationship. The Ohio State issue involves the equivalent of a TA/professor relationship (actually closer to a Department Chair/professor relationship.)

So - before you accuse me of going 180 on the topic, you need to understand that the two situations are different.
That would be incorrect. The Boermeester incident. Was reported to the tennis coach by witnesses. The SC tennis coach in turn followed procedure and reported through the proper channels. And it went Title IX. I find it hard to believe one would say a coach and program should not be involved in a DV case involving student athletes. Because its not related to athletics. Yet feel another coach should have taken action regarding an incident between two adults off the field. Not involving athletics or the program by your standard . based on the misinformation of a social media reporter,assumptions with no legitimate evidence. That the initial report was true or Meyers knew the entire story. Your math doesn't add up. All speculation atm ......

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyer's comments at the presser fit that definition, if he knew about actionable offenses by Zach Smith in 2015. That is what tOSU is investigating. You can insist all you want that a "cover up" has to involve the police or a criminal act. The question here is whether or not Meyer met his contractual obligations in 2015 or not.

I'm not saying he did or didn't. But that doesn't change the reality that what tOSU is investigating, by necessity, has to address the question of whether or not Meyer was forthright now and in 2015.
No I didnt insist anything. A cover-up means trying to prevent people from discovering the truth. Since the police were involved and those reports are public record it would be impossible for Meyer to cover it up. Unless you are implying he worked with the PD and tried to get those reports destroyed. Is that what you are saying, he was trying to commit a cover-up which by definition would require destroying those reports?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont disagree and the only reason the lie matters is the scrutiny that came after. However I think that this would have been a story regardless as McMurphy was trying to create one even before he asked Meyer a question.

He may very well have been. But if Meyer simply tells the truth and says it's a personnel matter that won't be discussed further...it pretty much ends the story.

Even if McMurphy wanted to pursue it further, there wouldn't be much to pursue.