• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melvin Gordon to "demand a trade" if not given new contract

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, it's much more likely that these guys don't actually watch football and, instead, make up ratings and grades based on credit score or Hilton Honors points of each of the players.

I watch a shit load of football year round i'm sure you do too does that mean our grades on guys should be put ahead of actual stats?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch a shit load of football year round i'm sure you do too does that mean our grades on guys should be put ahead of actual stats?
If you watch enough and have well-respected enough opinions and analysis to actually get paid to do it, yes they should.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he "walk back" his comments and say something like he wanted to remain with the Chargers?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.8 YPC and a cloud of dust before last year.

63 YPG

8 career 100 yard games.

better pass catcher vs a runner IMO
He sounds like he'd be a good addition to the Patriots.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watch enough and have well-respected enough opinions and analysis to actually get paid to do it, yes they should.

Unfortunately they have a ton of employees and you have know idea who actually does the grading on the players. I love PFF i'm subscribed to their youtube channel and watch almost everything they put out they have some guys i might trust and some guys that are idiots.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this whole thread. I’m still struggling to see what Ryan Mathews has to do with this situation, as suggested in prior posts.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this whole thread. I’m still struggling to see what Ryan Mathews has to do with this situation, as suggested in prior posts.

Something something Marion Butts something something Natrone Means

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something something Marion Butts something something Natrone Means
I get ya. So Austin ekeler in the 4th. Justin jackson in the 9th, because Gordon got stuffed on the 3 yard line week 2 against the #17 rushing d in a game with a negative gameflow

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, it's much more likely that these guys don't actually watch football and, instead, make up ratings and grades based on credit score or Hilton Honors points of each of the players.
How does PFF calculate their WAR statistic?

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF made their name with situational statistics, but they've grown a lot and they need to create content to keep their subcribers happy(i used to sub) so now they create a lot of fluff articles/videos ratings/opinions.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Gurley's injury situation is the worst thing to happen to NFL RBs.

I'm surprised he didn't tear an ACL just signing that monster contract.

Never like to see a guy get hurt, but if someone has to get hurt, it might as well be a Ram. :heh:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you never give in to players demands. Let them keep sitting out. Eventually they will lose and every other player will see it. When you let players strong arm you, you just ensure that every future player will do the same. Team>Player.

I don't disagree, but the problem with that approach is most of the time this will be a star player and teams need that production, so to have them sit out you need the depth on the roster to do that and not hurt the other 52 players.

With a RB...your RB2 is normally good enough to replace most of their production...if its a LT or WR1...replacement production is not as easy.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but the problem with that approach is most of the time this will be a star player and teams need that production, so to have them sit out you need the depth on the roster to do that and not hurt the other 52 players.

With a RB...your RB2 is normally good enough to replace most of their production...if its a LT or WR1...replacement production is not as easy.
You have to pick your spots but the key is sending a message. Every player watches what happens. You want them to be thinking 'I don't want to sit out and start all over again and lose my millions for sitting a year and gain nothing'. You don't want them thinking 'I'm going to sit out and force a huge pay day too'.

When your QB sits you are screwed (except for Philly of course) but you play hardball where you can. Chargers are the perfect team to tell Gordon to screw himself. They have other options and can also trade him and sign someone else to help out and probably get a position they need more

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to pick your spots but the key is sending a message. Every player watches what happens. You want them to be thinking 'I don't want to sit out and start all over again and lose my millions for sitting a year and gain nothing'. You don't want them thinking 'I'm going to sit out and force a huge pay day too'.

When your QB sits you are screwed (except for Philly of course) but you play hardball where you can. Chargers are the perfect team to tell Gordon to screw himself. They have other options and can also trade him and sign someone else to help out and probably get a position they need more

I agree...it's a selective thing. I question the effectiveness of it (having a player sit out) today. If a player feels he's underpaid, sitting out is just part of it, they know that already so potentially losing some game checks is not going to deter anyone really....back when game checks were $10k maybe, but not so much today.

If you don't think the player is worth what he wants, I think you trade them and move on. I think playing hardball with a star player and having that player in your locker room in this social media era might not generate the response from other players that you're looking for actually.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...it's a selective thing. I question the effectiveness of it (having a player sit out) today. If a player feels he's underpaid, sitting out is just part of it, they know that already so potentially losing some game checks is not going to deter anyone really....back when game checks were $10k maybe, but not so much today.

If you don't think the player is worth what he wants, I think you trade them and move on. I think playing hardball with a star player and having that player in your locker room in this social media era might not generate the response from other players that you're looking for actually.
the problem in this scenario is the player hasnt accrued enough time to be a FA. He will just be simply extending the time the team controls his rights. That is the problem with being on a rookie contract. it is not like he can just show up in time to play 6 games. he has to show up a month before the start of the season or that season wont count towards his Free agency.