• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melvin Gordon to "demand a trade" if not given new contract

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers probably won’t fold.
I agree. The NFL wouldnt let the Chargers cave in regardless.
It would upset the applecart of how 1st round rookies are dealt with throughout the league. Gordon doesnt have any legs to stand on unless he is ok with retiring. (pulling a Barry Sanders)

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His ypc is terrible.

That said, the Chargers struggled with the Ryan Mathews project.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These teams that don't want to pay RBs shouldn't be using 1st round picks on them.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the RBs potentially available in next year's draft, a year that could be one of the richest RB drafts in recent years:

D'Andre Swift - UGA
JK Dobbins - OSU
Najee Harris - Alabama
Travis Etienne - Clemson
Jonathan Taylor - Wisconsin
Eno Benjamin - ASU
Cam Akers - FSU
Zack Moss - Utah
AJ Dillon - Boston College

Go ahead and sit out Melvin, great idea.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand they want to get paid, but lets be realistic here :

Still have one year left on existing
Your team was one win away from a Super Bowl appearance ( says a lot you'll hold out the whole year)
History is not on his side when teams sign a RB long term ( see the Rams)

Plus he has two agents, why not come out and be honest about it, and say "I don't give a crap about winning I just want to be paid !"

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that these guys want to make as much money as they can while they are young enough but running their mouth like this is always a bad lòok imo. Ownership doesn't care and most fans look on it in a negative light.
As for Gordon, I've seen some flashes of really great play and thought he was one of the better dual threat backs in the league but there seems to be more of that type coming in all the time and they are better and more durable. Bell and Gordon use this argument that they are somehow special but there are a few guys out there with the same skillset and even better. Doesn't really give these malcontents much leverage in the current state of things, imo. And there is no altruism involved when they blurt out they are doing it for other backs. That's just bullshit to win favor from sucker fans on social media.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers probably won’t fold. They know you can accumulate star RBs easy after having LaDanian Tomlinson, Michael Turner and Darren Sproles all at the same time.
if that was the case, they wouldnt have drafted gordon in the first round, they would have used the draft capital elsewhere.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His ypc is terrible.

That said, the Chargers struggled with the Ryan Mathews project.
his YPC is not good. Ekeler actually has some strong numbers. Ryan mathews has nothing at all to do with this??

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the RBs potentially available in next year's draft, a year that could be one of the richest RB drafts in recent years:

D'Andre Swift - UGA
JK Dobbins - OSU
Najee Harris - Alabama
Travis Etienne - Clemson
Jonathan Taylor - Wisconsin
Eno Benjamin - ASU
Cam Akers - FSU
Zack Moss - Utah
AJ Dillon - Boston College

Go ahead and sit out Melvin, great idea.
some of those guys arent gonna be top backs. they are great college backs. there will be some higher RB's not on that list. Taylor has some very poor pass catching chops, i THINK i read some things on dillion about his game not translating greatly.......cam akers hasnt done diddly yet

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't really gain anything by holding out, and given that he's still on his rookie deal, he's only gonna push his final year to 2020. I'd be surprised if he's not there Week 1.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't really gain anything by holding out, and given that he's still on his rookie deal, he's only gonna push his final year to 2020. I'd be surprised if he's not there Week 1.
I agree....This guy would be stupid to sit out, zero leverage

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of those guys arent gonna be top backs. they are great college backs. there will be some higher RB's not on that list. Taylor has some very poor pass catching chops, i THINK i read some things on dillion about his game not translating greatly.......cam akers hasnt done diddly yet
Akers has been handcuffed by having one of the worst P5 offensive lines, but his talent is undeniable. He's also the only offensive weapon on that team that opposing defenses need to key in on. Put him on even a decent P5 offense and he's likely coming off back-to-back 1,000+ yard campaigns.

Taylor isn't a major pass-catcher, but neither was Gordon in college. That's just Wisconsin's offense. Taylor has 16 catches in his first two years while Gordon had like 18 over his final two years in college. That doesn't make him poor, per se, it just means they aren't using him in that way.

Dillon will be Jordan Howard 2.0 IMO, which on a rookie contract in an offense with a great passing game, should work just fine.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akers has been handcuffed by having one of the worst P5 offensive lines, but his talent is undeniable. He's also the only offensive weapon on that team that opposing defenses need to key in on. Put him on even a decent P5 offense and he's likely coming off back-to-back 1,000+ yard campaigns.

Taylor isn't a major pass-catcher, but neither was Gordon in college. That's just Wisconsin's offense. Taylor has 16 catches in his first two years while Gordon had like 18 over his final two years in college. That doesn't make him poor, per se, it just means they aren't using him in that way.

Dillon will be Jordan Howard 2.0 IMO, which on a rookie contract in an offense with a great passing game, should work just fine.

good analysis:suds:

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melvin Gordon said he wants "to end up with the Chargers."
"I want to end up with the Chargers," Gordon said. "That's my home. That's the team that blessed me with an opportunity, and I can't forget that. But like I said, I know I'm in an opportunity right now where I know I have to take advantage of it, and I want to get paid." The 26-year-old has threatened holding out and demanding a trade if Los Angeles doesn't meet his demands as he approaches the fifth and final year of his rookie contract.
:puzzled: :think: :hmm:

The sides still have a few weeks to negotiate before training camp gets underway.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he was on the field he was one of the most effective offensive weapons in the league last year. 222 touches 68 1st downs and 14 TDs and he was only on the field for about half of the teams offensive snaps. He should get a 3 year extension similar to what David Johnson got 3 years 39 million with some incentives that could push it up to around 14.5 per year.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he was on the field he was one of the most effective offensive weapons in the league last year. 222 touches 68 1st downs and 14 TDs and he was only on the field for about half of the teams offensive snaps. He should get a 3 year extension similar to what David Johnson got 3 years 39 million with some incentives that could push it up to around 14.5 per year.
If I were the Chargers I wouldnt have a problem extending him. My problem is him threatening to hold out. I would be headstrong about players attempting that on my team.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Chargers I wouldnt have a problem extending him. My problem is him threatening to hold out. I would be headstrong about players attempting that on my team.

Players have to use the leverage they have. Teams rarely volunteer to extend players early and plenty of players have used this tactic to get guaranteed money early.