• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melvin Gordon to "demand a trade" if not given new contract

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem in this scenario is the player hasnt accrued enough time to be a FA. He will just be simply extending the time the team controls his rights. That is the problem with being on a rookie contract. it is not like he can just show up in time to play 6 games. he has to show up a month before the start of the season or that season wont count towards his Free agency.

Good point...I didn't realize the timeline on that 5th yr for it to count towards FA.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players under contract are required to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency. The deadline for this in 2019 is August 6. If a player reports before that time and is available for 6 games, (full weeks), of the regular season then that player accrues a season towards free agency. Should Gordon report, go on strike until the end of week 11, then be available for the final 6 games/weeks he would fulfil the requirements for the 5th year of his NFL contract. I don't expect this to happen.

I don't think Gordon has trade value either. Any team trading for him will acquire a disgruntled player on a 1 year $5.6M contract. Why would a team give up a pick for a decent but not top quality player if they also have to pay him a FA contract price? Why would the Chargers trade him for a low pick if they would likely get a better pick for him under the compensatory pick system in 2021? I don't see a happy outcome for Gordon. He isn't massively underpaid and the Chargers owner has previously shown he is prepared to risk sacrificing team success for a small amount of money.

As a side note Gordon's 5th year contract demonstrates the contract value of lower 1st round picks. It's worth trading up into the 1st round for players other than QB. Most positions have 5th year option value. I wouldn't trade up for G or C but most other positions are viable.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players under contract are required to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency. The deadline for this in 2019 is August 6. If a player reports before that time and is available for 6 games, (full weeks), of the regular season then that player accrues a season towards free agency. Should Gordon report, go on strike until the end of week 11, then be available for the final 6 games/weeks he would fulfil the requirements for the 5th year of his NFL contract. I don't expect this to happen.

I don't think Gordon has trade value either. Any team trading for him will acquire a disgruntled player on a 1 year $5.6M contract. Why would a team give up a pick for a decent but not top quality player if they also have to pay him a FA contract price? Why would the Chargers trade him for a low pick if they would likely get a better pick for him under the compensatory pick system in 2021? I don't see a happy outcome for Gordon. He isn't massively underpaid and the Chargers owner has previously shown he is prepared to risk sacrificing team success for a small amount of money.

As a side note Gordon's 5th year contract demonstrates the contract value of lower 1st round picks. It's worth trading up into the 1st round for players other than QB. Most positions have 5th year option value. I wouldn't trade up for G or C but most other positions are viable.
Oh Shit.
PE1 is gonna be up your ass with reasons.
None legit, but none the less.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whoa weird support from a teammate :thumb:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whoa weird support from a teammate :thumb:
Didn’t he kinda say he didn’t care if Melvin was there , now all of a sudden he’s backing him........

Most qbs would get seared

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t he kinda say he didn’t care if Melvin was there , now all of a sudden he’s backing him........

Most qbs would get seared
He was far from saying he didn't care.

It was a slow sports talk day, or something. He said nothing negative, about anyone. Mole hills to mountains en sech.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was far from saying he didn't care.

It was a slow sports talk day, or something. He said nothing negative, about anyone. Mole hills to mountains en sech.
meh you are right. Depends how you look at it, and undertones. I still say if a handful of other qb's uttered those exact words, the wrath of hell would be coming down

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh you are right. Depends how you look at it, and undertones. I still say if a handful of other qb's uttered those exact words, the wrath of hell would be coming down
The closest thing to criticism that I took away from it was "we're going with what we got".

Other than saying "yeah, pay him." I don't think he could've been more supportive last week. I mean, he said they love him.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The closest thing to criticism that I took away from it was "we're going with what we got".

Other than saying "yeah, pay him." I don't think he could've been more supportive last week. I mean, he said they love him.
im 100% positive ben says that and its "hes moving on", "He is saying let him sit", "Ben doesn't support bell"

i agree its a big nothing, but that wasnt my point

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im 100% positive ben says that and its "hes moving on", "He is saying let him sit", "Ben doesn't support bell"

i agree its a big nothing, but that wasnt my point
Ben is a big fat goon though.

Much easier to question what he says and does versus questioning Saint SuperDad.

(Id rather have Ben as my QB, just sayin...)

Rambulance

MuscleBear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised he didn't tear an ACL just signing that monster contract.

Never like to see a guy get hurt, but if someone has to get hurt, it might as well be a Ram. :heh:

My favorite is when a former Ram misses the block to let a future Ram end Steve Young's career.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point...I didn't realize the timeline on that 5th yr for it to count towards FA.

I mentioned this in the Zeke thread, but players only need 4 accrued years to be unrestricted free agents, so if Gordon sits out this year(1.8 million salary) he can still play next year(5.6 million salary) and accrue enough seasons to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of his rookie contract.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this in the Zeke thread, but players only need 4 accrued years to be unrestricted free agents, so if Gordon sits out this year(1.8 million salary) he can still play next year(5.6 million salary) and accrue enough seasons to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of his rookie contract.
this is his 5th year team execised his option in april for 5.6 mil:suds: