• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melvin Gordon to "demand a trade" if not given new contract

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this in the Zeke thread, but players only need 4 accrued years to be unrestricted free agents, so if Gordon sits out this year(1.8 million salary) he can still play next year(5.6 million salary) and accrue enough seasons to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of his rookie contract.

4 yrs I knew...if my numbers are correct, Gordon's rookie season was '15...if so he's already logged 4 seasons.. But if he sits out this season (his 5th option yr)...does the team losing their 5th option?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 yrs I knew...if my numbers are correct, Gordon's rookie season was '15...if so he's already logged 4 seasons.. But if he sits out this season (his 5th option yr)...does the team losing their 5th option?
chargers already exercised the option so he is theirs for now
zeke is even worse he has 2 years left:suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chargers already exercised the option so he is theirs for now
zeke is even worse he has 2 years left:suds:

Okay, so if Gordon sits out the season, he's not a FA in '20....he has to fulfill that 5th yr.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The chances of either player, particularly Gordon, sitting out the 2019 season are remote. It would be counterproductive contractually. The Chargers would likely have Gordon's contract tolled for a full year under the extension provisions in paragraph 16 of the standard NFL player contract thanks to an arbitration decision relating to Joey Galloway's 101-day holdout in 1999. This would mean Gordon's deal wouldn't expire until after the 2020 season instead of the 2019 season.

Seattle lost a grievance attempting to get Galloway's contact extended for an additional year under paragraph 16 because he held out for the first nine weeks of the 1999 season. The arbitrator didn't give a clear standard for how many missed weeks are necessary to trigger tolling.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so if Gordon sits out the season, he's not a FA in '20....he has to fulfill that 5th yr.
costly too

A team can fine a player a maximum of $40,000 for each day of training camp missed. Training camps typically run from 35 to 40 days. Missing all of camp would subject Elliott to approximately $1.5 million in fines. A player that signed his contract as an unrestricted free agent can be fined one week's base salary (1/17th of salary) for each preseason game missed in addition to the $40,000 per day.

The CBA mandates a slightly different consequence for first-round picks holding out when playing under their fifth-year option, like Gordon. It's a fine up to $30,000 per day and the weekly salary penalty applies. One week's salary for Gordon is just under $330,000. Gordon would be facing a loss of almost $1.325 million in salary if he missed all of the Chargers' preseason contests.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The chances of either player, particularly Gordon, sitting out the 2019 season are remote. It would be counterproductive contractually. The Chargers would likely have Gordon's contract tolled for a full year under the extension provisions in paragraph 16 of the standard NFL player contract thanks to an arbitration decision relating to Joey Galloway's 101-day holdout in 1999. This would mean Gordon's deal wouldn't expire until after the 2020 season instead of the 2019 season.

Seattle lost a grievance attempting to get Galloway's contact extended for an additional year under paragraph 16 because he held out for the first nine weeks of the 1999 season. The arbitrator didn't give a clear standard for how many missed weeks are necessary to trigger tolling.

Just throwing stuff up on the wall now...the ONLY reason Bell sat out LY...he had the tag money from the previous yr so that was planned on some level...very doubtful any player making what these guys are making would kill an entire season.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBA 2011-2020:

Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation:
(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.
(b) A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season, or in which the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Rookie Contracts Explained: Fifth-Year Option

He will be a FA at the end of the year. After that either the only sure fire way to control his rights is the franchise tag.
From your link:

Poster: Once a team exercises a 5th year option, can the player sit out the year and become a free agent in year 6 or does the team still retain his rights for another year?

Website: His contract tolls, and the team retains his rights.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny.

You have Ndamukong Suh.

Jadeveon Clowney.

Jacquizz Rodgers.

And many others.

Then you have Melvin Gordon.

Poor guy, hiding behind the door when the cool names were given out....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you never give in to players demands. Let them keep sitting out. Eventually they will lose and every other player will see it. When you let players strong arm you, you just ensure that every future player will do the same. Team>Player.
Exactly right Jarntt, It should be as obvious, but apparently not to everyone.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right Jarntt, It should be as obvious, but apparently not to everyone.

Can't agree with that teams need to pay their home grown studs and the earlier in the contract the better it is for the team with the contract inflation that happens every year.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers holdout makes sense, but Melvin Gordon would be foolish to follow Le'Veon Bell's path

Another huge difference in Gordon's situation compared to that of Bell: Because the LA running back is signed for one more year, the Chargers can toll his contract if he no-shows the season, thus keeping his $5.6 million salary in force for the 2020 season.

The toll would definitely be bad, but i can't find any evidence of that ever happening in past hold out situations. The only time its happened that i can find is when a player is indefinitely suspended and missed an entire season like Josh Gordon.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fresh off a year where he missed a quarter of the season and then averaged 2.1 yards per carry in the playoffs.

If I'm the Chargers, I tell him to go kick rocks.

I am going to demand pussy tonight, I'll let you know how it works out. Well, maybe I won't......

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The toll would definitely be bad, but i can't find any evidence of that ever happening in past hold out situations. The only time its happened that i can find is when a player is indefinitely suspended and missed an entire season like Josh Gordon.
Whens the last time someone sat out a season while under contract? Never. That's why you can't find a example of it being used.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whens the last time someone sat out a season while under contract? Never. That's why you can't find a example of it being used.

Holdouts extending into the regular season are extremely rare. There have only been two in the last few years with players under contract. Safety Kam Chancellorheld out 54 days in 2015 before returning to the Seahawks without any changes to his contract. Left tackle Duane Brown's holdout from the Texans in 2017 lasted nearly three months. Brown didn't get a new contract either; he was traded to the Seahawks about a week later.