• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McShay's first mock draft for the niners

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay Mock Draft 1.0: 49ers
December, 18, 2013
Dec 18
11:58
AM ET
By ESPN Insider | ESPN.com

Despite the fact Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham have missed most of the season, San Francisco has done enough to win 10 games. Colin Kaepernick has been up and down in his first full season as the starting quarterback, but the 49ers appear headed back to the postseason. San Francisco’s defense is as strong as ever, and got a boost with the return of Aldon Smith. Eric Reid, the 49ers’ 2013 first-round pick, has been a standout rookie at safety and helped to shore up the back end of that defense. San Francisco has one of the deepest rosters in the NFL, with 2013 fourth-round pick Marcus Lattimore basically taking a redshirt season, but needs remain.

What do they need in the draft?

Todd McShay released his first 2014 mock draft Wednesday, and in doing so identified the biggest areas of need for the 49ers. San Francisco could use some help at wide receiver, along the defensive line, at cornerback and at center. Here’s who McShay believes will provide the best fit for San Francisco in Round 1.

Pick: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

Analysis: "Hageman had a monster season for Minnesota in 2013, and I think he is one of those guys who will go on to be a better pro than he was a college player. He is tall, long and well-built with good mobility, and he can take on blocks against the run and is an effective bull rusher against the pass. Moreover, he's a perfect fit for the 49ers. He is at his best playing as a 5-technique defensive end in a 3-4 alignment, and he could come in and not have to be an every-down guy right away before eventually replacing Justin Smith in the starting lineup. With some improvement to his technique and hand placement, Hageman could be a really good player."

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ra'Shede Hageman

DT
Senior
6-5¾, 307 lbs
Minnesota

Scouts Grade90
Position Rank3
Overall Rank20
40-YD Dash5.1
ConferenceBig Ten

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Overall Football Traits

Production 3 2009: Redshirt. 2010: (8/0) 5-0-02011: (12/0) 13-3.5-2 2012: (13/13) 35-7.5-6
Height-Weight-Speed 1 Excellent blend of height, weight and top-end speed. Outstanding athlete for position.

Durability 1 Has appeared in every game over the past two seasons and hasn't sustained any serious injuries to the best of our knowledge.

Intangibles 3 Has matured and developed into a leader. Did not have it easy growing up and has had to overcome anger issues. Spent time in the foster care system before being adopted by two lawyers. Turned down offers from more prestigious programs to stay close to home. Moved from tight end to defensive end in 2009. Suspended three games for academic reasons in 2010. Arrested for misdemeanor disorderly conduct following an incident at a bar near campus in May of 2012. Arrested at 2:39 a.m. and booked into the Hennepin County Jail. Released after posting $50 bond. Minnesota spokesman told ESPN.com that Hageman was trying to break up a fight when police arrived and began making arrests. Off the field decision making needs to be investigated further. Could have played basketball at Minnesota but decided to focus on football.

Defensive Tackle Specific Traits

Versus the Run 3 Penetrates and disrupts. Doesn't have to win with quickness to be effective either. Can hold ground one-on-one and even drive offensive linemen back when stays low. Decent range and gets down the line well for size. However, pad level is an issue. Plays too high and with narrow base too often. Occasionally gives ground and gets washed down line a little too much. Can get blown back by double teams. Gap discipline also appears inconsistent.

Pass Rush Skills 2 Effective bull rusher that can move quarterbacks off spot. Flashes above average speed to power and the ability to run over offensive tackles rushing off the edge. Tracks quarterback and gets hands up when sees him start throwing motion. Flashes effective club-to-swim move and average spin move but doesn't show enough variety at this point. Mobile quarterbacks can shake him.

Quickness (hands/feet) 2 Flashes active hands and makes it tough to lock on but inconsistent hand fighter that doesn't always press blockers off frame or counterpunch well when does get reached. First-step quickness is good for size and slightly above average for interior defensive lineman.

Toughness/Motor 3 Not a brawler that wears out blockers with four-quarter tenacity but plays with an edge. Doesn't back down when challenged and takes out frustrations on blockers. Overall effort is good and at times excellent but appears to take occasional play off despite steady rotation keeping him fresh.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess McShay's thinking is that the 9ers could have a line of Tank, Williams, and Hageman in the future.

Not sure of DE is a real area of need next year though

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be pissed if it went down this way and we picked this kid with our 1st. I am not a big fan of drafting one year wonders...call it the Balmer Effect...but I am always weary of players that play for shitty conferences that have one great year. Also, picking at DE when we 1) addressed this in the draft with Tank and Dial last season and B) when we have OBVIOUS needs at WR and CB would be stupid and void of logical thought.

The only way picking a DE makes sense to me is if someone talented like Clowney nosedives and we have a chance to pick up a game-changer like Minn did with Moss or Dallas did with Dez.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We have to go CB/WR in first. This pick makes no sense.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pick shows He is an idiot. First of Hageman is at best third round talent though IMO. second the Niners have other areas of need like Wr, C, And maybe a corner depending on who gets signed/resigned

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay Mock Draft 1.0: 49ers
December, 18, 2013
Dec 18
11:58
AM ET
By ESPN Insider | ESPN.com

Despite the fact Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham have missed most of the season, San Francisco has done enough to win 10 games. Colin Kaepernick has been up and down in his first full season as the starting quarterback, but the 49ers appear headed back to the postseason. San Francisco’s defense is as strong as ever, and got a boost with the return of Aldon Smith. Eric Reid, the 49ers’ 2013 first-round pick, has been a standout rookie at safety and helped to shore up the back end of that defense. San Francisco has one of the deepest rosters in the NFL, with 2013 fourth-round pick Marcus Lattimore basically taking a redshirt season, but needs remain.

What do they need in the draft?

Todd McShay released his first 2014 mock draft Wednesday, and in doing so identified the biggest areas of need for the 49ers. San Francisco could use some help at wide receiver, along the defensive line, at cornerback and at center. Here’s who McShay believes will provide the best fit for San Francisco in Round 1.

Pick: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

Analysis: "Hageman had a monster season for Minnesota in 2013, and I think he is one of those guys who will go on to be a better pro than he was a college player. He is tall, long and well-built with good mobility, and he can take on blocks against the run and is an effective bull rusher against the pass. Moreover, he's a perfect fit for the 49ers. He is at his best playing as a 5-technique defensive end in a 3-4 alignment, and he could come in and not have to be an every-down guy right away before eventually replacing Justin Smith in the starting lineup. With some improvement to his technique and hand placement, Hageman could be a really good player."

I saw this, I would love this pick. This kid has a lot of up side.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Williamson's take on McShay's take:

In the first of what promises to be many, many of these things, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay offers his first mock draft for the first round Insider of the 2014 draft.

This mock is based on projected finishes for each team. While it is very early in the draft process, I think this is a worthwhile exercise to keep a tab on team needs.

McShay projects the 49ers to have the 28th pick in the first round. And his first choice for the 49ers is Minnesota defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman.

My take: I can see the pick. The 49ers could use a dominant force in the middle of their line. So, this isn’t a bad first choice. But the team is deep on the line with plenty of alignment options. Their biggest need, as of right now is receiver. Cornerback could also become a need depending on what happens in free agency. I’ve long maintained the 49ers (who are set to have at least 13 picks) should move up in the draft as they did last year when they went from No. 31 to No. 18 to take LSU safety Eric Reid. That pick has worked out beautifully. The 49ers are deep and they can’t find room for all of their healthy players now on the 46-man game-day roster. I think they should pool picks and go get a star. My target would be Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins at this point.

I don't love Williamson. And not just because his spelling is appallingly bad for a professional writer. The bold above highlights some of that. Hageman doesn't project as a force in the middle of the Niners' DL. He projects as a DE. If the team is already prepared to give up on Tank, fine. But I can't see that at this point. I agree with him that the team will/should try to move up for a WR or CB.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is way too early for the niners to draft a nose tackle. Honestly, I would wait until the second or third round and draft someone like daquan jones from penn state.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is way too early for the niners to draft a nose tackle. Honestly, I would wait until the second or third round and draft someone like daquan jones from penn state.

I think the bigger issue is that this guy isn't a NT. That said, between Williams and Dorsey, I don't think we have a tremendous need at NT. Not to mention Dial.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I like Hageman as a threat... his size and length along with motor could be huge for our DL which is strong on the side of brute strength and length IMO... it keeps to the mold of DL we have...

But I agree that we have much more pressing needs that a DL. Its tough, but i would look at CB n Watkins as my top targets... lol notice how i said Watkins and not WR...

Once again we have plenty of picks/ammo, I would like us to make another Reid type move up if possible... we need QUALITY over quantity for sure...

If we get Hageman, I wouldn't be mad.... future of Tank, NT, Ra'Shede looks promising... of course if Tank is healthy

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bigger issue is that this guy isn't a NT. That said, between Williams and Dorsey, I don't think we have a tremendous need at NT. Not to mention Dial.

I say we get that Mammoth NT from Tenn in late 2nd or early 3rd...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about keeping the DL Strong, but I have noticed that roster moves often come down to numbers and with that. 8 Players are currently signed for 2014 with a cap number of 20 mill at about 17% of cap of current players under contract.

Position Player Age Signed Thru 2014 Cap Number 2014 Cap Savings Right Defensive End 1 Justin Smith 34 2015 $6,736,666 $363,332 Right Defensive End 2 Tank Carradine 24 2016 $1,124,473 ($939,156) Right Defensive End 3 Nose Tackle 1 Glenn Dorsey 28 2014 $3,792,500 $2,650,000 Nose Tackle 2 Ian Williams 24 2015 $1,408,333 $741,666 Nose Tackle 3 Quinton Dial 23 2016 $540,413 $404,174 Left Defensive End 1 Ray McDonald 29 2015 $5,346,985 $1,106,029 Left Defensive End 2 Tony Jerod-Eddie 23 2014 $495,000 $495,000 Left Defensive End 3 Lawrence Okoye 22 2015 $496,000 $494,000
Okoye does not count since he will be an obvious cut. Tank, Ray Mac and Smith will not be cut because of contract. Jerod-eddie at 495K will be the sixth man in rotation next year esp considering versatility on the line. Dial in his snaps this year and contract will be the 5th man n the rotation and can play all techniques on the line. So without any injuries, FA or draft picks the loser of the battle between Dorsey and Williams will be cut.

To draft a dline with the roster composition you will most likely be cutting Williams and Dorsey, and that player you draft will have to assume a major role something this coaching staff is hesitant about at some positions. So unless the team sees a can't miss impact player for years to come (clowny). You just cant draft a dline to develop and be a future replacement.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Gotta keep the DL strong. It's one of the biggest needs on the team.

I am not saying that we shouldn't draft a nose tackle for the d line I just think we should do it with wr and cb being bigger needs.

Your right Hageman is a de, but you never know how Williams will bounce back from that broken ankle and Dorsey could always regress with this being his prove them all wrong year. The jury is still out on Dial and he could contribute a lot next year but we really don't know so it is better to be safe then sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
To draft a dline with the roster composition you will most likely be cutting Williams and Dorsey,

There's no way the Niners cut Williams or Dorsey. Maybe Williams if he isn't fully healthy after the injury, but otherwise they'll be with the team next year.

The Niners run a lot of 4-man fronts where the NT comes off the field, so they need to treat the 3rd DE / DT like a 3rd CB IMO. And JSmith isn't going to play forever.

Tank was supposed to be that 3rd DE / DT this year, but he didn't make it back in time. And pretty soon, Tank may be a starter; so that causes a need for that 3rd DE / DT.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Your right Hageman is a de, but you never know how Williams will bounce back from that broken ankle and Dorsey could always regress with this being his prove them all wrong year. The jury is still out on Dial and he could contribute a lot next year but we really don't know so it is better to be safe then sorry.

Williams will have almost a full year to recover. I don't anticipate major problems. As for Dorsey, he's a FA following next season, so he's hardly clear of the "prove them wrong" stage. I'm not against adding a NT, but like you, I wouldn't be jumping at adding one with our first round pick.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we took Lee with Landry and Beckham on the board I would be in serious danger of throwing my remote at my tv....

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You guys are a bunch of fools. Lol. Sorry but I had to call it as it is. Hageman is a beast fellows. Not sure why he is not even ranked higher than where McShay & Scouts Inc. currently has him at. He's like Mohammad Wilkerson, Fletcher Cox, Sheldon Richardson: guys whose stock had risen dramatically post combines and also due to more film watching. He would be an immediate upgrade over Ray McMac who is considered one of the better players on our very impressive defense.