• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL C league??

Should there be a C league

• Total voters

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to throw a couple of more thing out there and I promise this is really the last time. ....

1. One MAJOR aspect of expansion that has yet to come up is the added burden it creates on @TREFF and @canesandfinsfanatic. They both spend a lot of time keeping stats, writing up recaps, defining senarios, etc. And additionally, for Treff fielding and acting on issues that come up (and there have been some I know of this year).
Since they both voted NO, I have to think that perhaps subconsciously (or maybe consciously) they see the added burden. We may find ourselves without their willingness to devote even more time to keep up with yet another league. ....

2. Along the same line, the point has been made that there is absolutely nothing stopping a splinter group from starting their own loosely affiliated (or totally separate) league - if MBBRL members wish to compete in that league there is nothing preventing them from being in both.

I do agree that Bandit and Treff do a lot for the league... BUT with the minor league proposal, I don't think they have to do much... Maybe just an acknowledgement... but I don't see that being an issue... and really, if the C-league(or minor league) fails, what do we really lose?? it is not like it affects the main leagues...

The whole goal of the C or MINOR league should be:
1. Increase the community(by however amount)
2. Make damn sure that we get good owners to be part of the MAIN Leagues...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that Bandit and Treff do a lot for the league... BUT with the minor league proposal, I don't think they have to do much... Maybe just an acknowledgement... but I don't see that being an issue... and really, if the C-league(or minor league) fails, what do we really lose?? it is not like it affects the main leagues...

The whole goal of the C or MINOR league should be:
1. Increase the community(by however amount)
2. Make damn sure that we get good owners to be part of the MAIN Leagues...
As I've said, I'm behind something like that, but, unless it's a mirror, and tied to us with the same settings, only thing it'll assure anyone is nominations to fill oblivion spots..seeing something up with automatic tie ins is a different beast

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've said, I'm behind something like that, but, unless it's a mirror, and tied to us with the same settings, only thing it'll assure anyone is nominations to fill oblivion spots..seeing something up with automatic tie ins is a different beast

Maybe, I just don't understand why it has to mirror...

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MilkSpiller22 - sorry I was busy typing and didn't see your post #54 where you did mention the level of effort a select few put into administering this league. ...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, I just don't understand why it has to mirror...
To get an automatic in, someone has to lose a spot. Now would you feel all warm and fuzzy if that someone were you, scrambling to find a scrap heap waiver wire pickup in a 12 team league when the guy replacing you is in a ten or 8 or 6 man league where he doesn't have those issues, and there are starting players available whenever the need arises..at least comparatively?

Doesn't seem right to me

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get an automatic in, someone has to lose a spot. Now would you feel all warm and fuzzy if that someone were you, scrambling to find a scrap heap waiver wire pickup in a 12 team league when the guy replacing you is in a ten or 8 or 6 man league where he doesn't have those issues, and there are starting players available whenever the need arises..at least comparatively?

Doesn't seem right to me

better than the oblivion that we have now...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I am advocating for.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

consider the C or minor league a scouting league... where we watch over just to see whether owners are knowledgable and serious enough to be a full time MBBRLer...

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing about oblivion..................it's only in place to weed out any owners that are deemed as "bad" as in not putting in line ups. not being active (in the league or on the boards), throwing games or just not giving it 110%. We all know how these leagues are, and TBH last year the "Luck" I had in the A League was complete shit, yet I almost stayed in the A league with a decent last 3 games............lots of owners may have given up, but I'd be damned if I was gonna lose my spot............so, I guess I'm damned anyway..................lol.

BTW, I can't remember, but have we ever sent an owner into oblivion? I know Foot was close this year, but did not get voted out.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing about oblivion..................it's only in place to weed out any owners that are deemed as "bad" as in not putting in line ups. not being active (in the league or on the boards), throwing games or just not giving it 110%. We all know how these leagues are, and TBH last year the "Luck" I had in the A League was complete shit, yet I almost stayed in the A league with a decent last 3 games............lots of owners may have given up, but I'd be damned if I was gonna lose my spot............so, I guess I'm damned anyway..................lol.

BTW, I can't remember, but have we ever sent an owner into oblivion? I know Foot was close this year, but did not get voted out.

we sure will find out with Stomp and Micro... and I think some people here are upset with micro... so I am sure he will be the first... Stomp is a first year MBBRLer who is up for oblivion, I don't think he is more deserving than Ehb and Femurov...

and that is the thing, if we have OBLIVION, and we have interested owners for replacement, then how can we not use Oblivion??

Pretty sure we never used it because we always had owners leave...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not this year though, I think Foot just made it in by a, um, toenail?

Looks like the only nominees were Stomp and Brees... someone dropped out to let stomp in, and Brees?? we know why he didn't make it...

But this year it seems like we actually have options...

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi, all. Fascinating thread.

First, this debate itself is proof that the MBBRL is cool, and cool in lots of ways. Hard to think of anything better than to come over and see this going on.

My thoughts are these:
  • Commissioner is a big issue - nobody should be doing all three, it's out of the question, but also all leagues have to be run consistently; I'd suggest that only somebody who's been in the MBBRL for a long time - probably since the CBS days at this point - should be considered. The new league will be a hassle and a steady hand who really values the MBBRL needs to run it or the new league could do more harm than good. (If there's no such person, that settles the question right there.) Not to mention keeping up with the stats and stories - somebody would need to pitch in there as well.
  • In the absence of a true C league, if people want to start a league to raise awareness of their owners for MBBRL consideration and talk about it here, they should. Looking deep into the future, even with a C league, people might want to do that.
  • Having a C league with fewer than 12 teams isn't a crazy notion as a way to break into the B league, but the conversation around a league with a different number of teams isn't as interesting, and conversation is the lifeblood of the MBBRL; an odd-sized C league parked over to the side just as a qualifier is cool from a game theory perspective, but it wouldn't be a benefit to the MBBRL.
  • As Foot said, lower leagues are expected to be riff-raffy - I don't see that as a dealbreaker. The quality increases as you move up; it's hard to translate shady dealings in a lower league to success in the higher league, because only the top two teams move up; anyone who moves up without deserving to is likely to go right back down again the next season. The scruffiness of the league shouldn't be a big problem (unless you're the commissioner), especially if you're a little bit careful about populating the C league in the first place.
  • About core guys being two leagues away and maybe not playing each other for a few years: that's a definite price that would be paid. One important thing is to make sure there's cross-league conversation and people don't just stick to their own league's thread.
  • In a sense of course there's already a C league - talking fantasy here on this board and being nominated. (That was part of the idea behind oblivion.)
  • Given all of that, I envisioned a C league a long time ago, once the B league was solid and there were lots of quality people trying to get in. (This may still be too early.)
  • I did not, however, envision a D league. I would stop at three. 36 is a lot of people - more than I could keep in my head, but not that much more. At a certain point a community grows so large it's no longer a community - and in this case it has to stay within bounds of what a thread on a message board can handle.
  • Setting up a C league should include conditions for retiring it (i.e. lack of active owners by draft day, vote by 18 of the 24 A/B owners)
  • Everything comes with a cost, including standing pat - but sometimes standing pat is still best. (See? I learned something from fantasy football.)
Godspeed, MBBRLers.

p.s. If/when there is a C league, I'd name it: Rumblings In The Distance

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wilwhite - always great to hear input from the founding father. ..... personally, the second and last bullets capture my view on expansion at this time. ... miss you man !!!!

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we sure will find out with Stomp and Micro... and I think some people here are upset with micro... so I am sure he will be the first... Stomp is a first year MBBRLer who is up for oblivion, I don't think he is more deserving than Ehb and Femurov...

and that is the thing, if we have OBLIVION, and we have interested owners for replacement, then how can we not use Oblivion??

Pretty sure we never used it because we always had owners leave...
speaking of where has foot been

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF - how long are the 'polls' going to remain open ??

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap, an @wilwhite sighting. You know, it just made me smile to see your name and avatar up there. Great points as usual. You are dearly missed sir.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this last thing(might not be the last)... fine it is not the last...

if we ever want to make a c-league that mirrors the A and B, it will be near impossible to do so without making a league that is short of 12 first...

Like you who started the B-league know, there was originally 2 drones, and then one, before 12 owners were found...

That's why for now, I am saying lets just get the owners and create a SCOUTING league... if it evolves, then we are so much better off, if it doesn't, then what did we lose?? a c-league??