• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Kemp, Alex Wood and Yasiel Puig traded to Reds

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is to say, no, I'm not for sending them Hunter Greene, or Trammel, or whoever to get Kluber for a year or two at the end of his career. I am totally cool with sending someone like Scoot, who we can theoretically replace. Certainly we can defensively. Offensively....well....getting Puig makes me less antsy about that. And putting Nick Senzel at 2nd, or moving Peralta or Suarez, and sticking Senzel over ther, whatever...I can live with that.

And there isn't single pitcher save Iglesias on our roster I'm going to lose sleep over trading right now. They are all fair game.

Roark and Wood add 5 wins, which is better than the -13 they scrap without Homer.
All the other top pitchers who are available are in their 30s, which is to be expected because that's how contracts are structured. You sign a guy, get him to the bigs, keep him till he is 30 and he walks. I would like say they should ride the horses they have but averaging 95 losses a year is obviously what resulted from that.

Reds need more than 'the pitching' in that division.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know. And once they canned Matheny they went on a tear down the stretch. If they had started off the season like they finished, they could have easily finished atop the division. Ticks me off because I liked Goldy in Zona. Now, I have to hate him lol
Not me. I believe he's hit more homeruns at AT&T than any visiting player. He just kills the Giants. Glad he's gone. Now the Giants won't finish last this year.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the 2 guys we got like?

Any Reds fans? They any good?
I thought Bailey was better than his luck and he can still get people out. I think his problem was more injuries than lack of skill. Don't expect him to be a 3 man.

I think Jeter Downs ranks pretty high for offense, the long ball esp. I think I read his glove is average.
I don't know anything about Josiah Gray other than maybe back in the day, he'd have been ace material for House of David, if his name reflects anything.

Greenville is a low-A league. (rookie actually)

Josiah Gray Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Reactions: DJ

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roark and Wood add 5 wins, which is better than the -13 they scrap without Homer.
All the other top pitchers who are available are in their 30s, which is to be expected because that's how contracts are structured. You sign a guy, get him to the bigs, keep him till he is 30 and he walks. I would like say they should ride the horses they have but averaging 95 losses a year is obviously what resulted from that.

Reds need more than 'the pitching' in that division.
We do. I feel like we have a solid core and we can be competitive. These moves have helped address areas of need. Puig obviously isn't our CF of the future....how far out do you think Trammel is? And what do you think about sticking Senzel out there?

We have a history of taking forever on bringing guys up so I'm not holding my breath on Greene. Don't want to break his confidence by going to soon, but at some point youve got to put guys in the frying pan. Would like to see them move him up to Louisville sooner than later.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Bailey was better than his luck and he can still get people out. I think his problem was more injuries than lack of skill. Don't expect him to be a 3 man.

I think Jeter Downs ranks pretty high for offense, the long ball esp. I think I read his glove is average.
I don't know anything about Josiah Gray other than maybe back in the day, he'd have been ace material for House of David, if his name reflects anything.

Greenville is a low-A league. (rookie actually)

Josiah Gray Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Some team will pick him up as their 5th guy or maybe bring him in as a long guy out of the pen and then if a starter gets hurt.....plug him in his spot.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Downs is supposed to be solid but we have a lot of IF talent in our farm system, so from our perspective it doesn't hurt. Gray I don't really know much about. From reading our boards he seems to be highly thought of. He's pretty young.
I really don't think the Dodgers care if these two prospects are all that good. The Dodgers did this trade to unload salary, maybe to sign Harper? :noidea:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig in a Reds uniform?

So the Cardinals and Reds are probably going to beef again at some point

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. I believe he's hit more homeruns at AT&T than any visiting player. He just kills the Giants. Glad he's gone. Now the Giants won't finish last this year.
Hey, McCutchen had our number at GABP, so I get it. Glad he's in the bay and not Pittsburgh.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think the Dodgers care if these two prospects are all that good. The Dodgers did this trade to unload salary, maybe to sign Harper? :noidea:
Oh there's no doubt. They aren't our top prospects by any stretch. But they are solid enough pieces apparently. I feel like us taking on Kemp was similar...y'all wanted to get him out of there and get something while you could. Maybe he'll help us in the OF, maybe we'll use him as trade bait...we have 5 or 6 guys to play OF at this point. Just no one with Billy Hamilton's speed.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather than pay him for nothing to go away?

He could be the long reliever since he doesn't fit in the rotation.....
Bailey's beef with the Reds was he said he couldn't / wouldn't pitch in relief and that was a bigger deal than the Reds media made it. Clearly he had a 'knee' issue that surprised Riggleman. So he's not going to pitch relief well, if at all. If LA wants to put him in the pen, good luck with that. Maybe he will with a contender.