• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Flynn

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is up with all these reports basically saying Matt Flynn sucks? When the guy got to play he played well. Who cares if he can not throw the ball 70 yards down the field when most QB's can't do that anyway. Having a strong arm does not make you a good QB. Having and accurate arm has more effect than a strong arm. I feel so bad for the guy. It's almost like they never want him to be a starter so they continue to say he is bad when all he has done in the short time he did start games is win and play extremely well in those wins.

I even saw one report saying he won with Greenbay because of the talent around him. tell you what, put JaMarcus Russell who has a cannon for a arm on that Greenbay team and they DO NOT win. I just wish they would stop putting down poor Matt Flynn and just shut up till he proves one way or another he can't be a starter. As of right now he has not done that. They point to the hawks trading him away as a sign that he doesn't have the talent and all i can say is uh RUSSELL WILSON. Wilson is the reason Flynn is not here not Flynns skill set.

The More they beat up on Flynn even before he gets a shot to prove himself the more i want him to prove them wrong. I feel sorry for Matt Flynn and his family having to put up with all these desk jockeys blowing smoke out their behinds on something that they themselves can not prove one way or another. Montana had a weak ass arm and he is looked at as one of the Best QB's EVER. What did he have? talent around him sure but he was also very accurate.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it. He's played like 20 plays total in his career and yet they still want to bash him. I really hope he has a chance in Oakland.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is twice as good as Carson Palmer. I hope all this SportsHoopla fires his ass up and proves these yahoos wrong. :agree:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would make a really solid QB, I was really pumped when the Seahawks signed him and still feel like he would make a solid starter. It's a shame he went to the Raiders though, I'm not sure he will shine too well down there but wish him nothing but the best.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was seriously bummed when we got rid of him. I was all for him last season and very anti Wilson before the season started. I still feel Flynn may have won a game or two early in the season that Wilson didnt, but it is what it is.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was seriously bummed when we got rid of him. I was all for him last season and very anti Wilson before the season started. I still feel Flynn may have won a game or two early in the season that Wilson didnt, but it is what it is.

I'd bet they would have won some of those, but the question is would Flynn had been as good down the stretch as Wilson was after they let him have the full offense? We will never know the answer to that question. We do know Wilson is far better than most of us had even imagined he could be so fast. If you aren't at least cautiously optimistic about him now you weren't paying attention last year.

Flynn will get a chance to play in Oakland, but without real pieces around him can he shine, or will he be blamed for overall poor team performance? He would have done better for Seattle than he will there simply because of the team around him, but now is his chance to prove he was who we thought he was and make a name for himself.

Hothvictim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Wilson has the "it" factor and an unbelievable work ethic. He may not be the preferred height or have the athleticism of an RG3, but his intangibles and his leadership are of the charts. I like guys that have something to prove and will just plain outwork you to be the best.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions fan chiming in. I follow you guys and few other boards. Get the heartbeat around other teams. Truly only 4 teams post steady. You guys, the enemy 49ers, Lions and Pats fans.

I have not bashed him at all. Was glad to see him leave Green Bay though. Division rival with a lesser backup. Not sure if he will shine in Oakland. As stated by by others here. Talent level may hurt him.

Only scary thing for me is the Scott Mitchell effect. Fills in for Marino and suddenly huge contract for Detroit. He was serviceable but no stud. Flynn truly played one game and suddenly was wanted.

Couple questions for you guys. You guys saw him more than me with being in Seattle. Do you guys really feel he was that good? The fact he couldn't unseat a unproven rookie from jumpstreet makes me wonder. I do know we saw the results of Pete's decision as the season progressed. Luck and RGIII had no true competion in camp. I guess what I am saying is, if Wilson's skill set in preseason was that far above Flynn's. Did you fans question the the decision of them dumping that money into Flynn?

I have not really noticed how opinionated some of y'all fans are. I damn sure know it would have sparked some debate in Lions boards.
Hawks spent a lot of coin up front for Flynn

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet they would have won some of those, but the question is would Flynn had been as good down the stretch as Wilson was after they let him have the full offense? We will never know the answer to that question. We do know Wilson is far better than most of us had even imagined he could be so fast. If you aren't at least cautiously optimistic about him now you weren't paying attention last year.

Flynn will get a chance to play in Oakland, but without real pieces around him can he shine, or will he be blamed for overall poor team performance? He would have done better for Seattle than he will there simply because of the team around him, but now is his chance to prove he was who we thought he was and make a name for himself.

I for one do not believe Flynn would have one any more games at the start of season. The main reason for the offense being so conservative was lack of reps for the starter. Regradless if Flynn or Wilson started, it would have been the same. That and the fact that the WR's missed most the preseason due to injuries.

Frankly I've always regraded the myth that Flynn was experienced as a joke. He had squat for experience on the field. I would not be surprised to see him lose the starter job in Oakland.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple questions for you guys. You guys saw him more than me with being in Seattle. Do you guys really feel he was that good? The fact he couldn't unseat a unproven rookie from jumpstreet makes me wonder. I do know we saw the results of Pete's decision as the season progressed. Luck and RGIII had no true competion in camp. I guess what I am saying is, if Wilson's skill set in preseason was that far above Flynn's. Did you fans question the the decision of them dumping that money into Flynn?

I have not really noticed how opinionated some of y'all fans are. I damn sure know it would have sparked some debate in Lions boards.

Hard to say how good he was when all we really saw was some preseason action. I know it was a shock to nearly everyone when the went with Wilson over Flynn and when there were rough spots in the first half of the season many wondered if Carroll made a mistake.

I don't think you can question the amount of money they spent on Flynn based on a rookie winning out when that rookie did things no other ever has. No one could have forecast his rise. I'm sure they expected Flynn would win out and Wilson would study behind him.

You just can't take anything away from this situation in terms of how good Flynn was, or wasn't. He never had a chance to play in real game situations and only that would tell you.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions fan chiming in. I follow you guys and few other boards. Get the heartbeat around other teams. Truly only 4 teams post steady. You guys, the enemy 49ers, Lions and Pats fans.

I have not bashed him at all. Was glad to see him leave Green Bay though. Division rival with a lesser backup. Not sure if he will shine in Oakland. As stated by by others here. Talent level may hurt him.

Only scary thing for me is the Scott Mitchell effect. Fills in for Marino and suddenly huge contract for Detroit. He was serviceable but no stud. Flynn truly played one game and suddenly was wanted.

My feeling with Flynn was simply following the plan, You have to understand Pete had to redo the entire team and that can not be done in one season. (hell it shouldn't even have been three, we just got lucky as hell that most of are draft picks Sherm, etc have played at a high level, credit Gm/Pete) So he spend his time working on D/Olines and building up the entire D. Also PC offense being about pounding the rock meant a RB was more important to finding first. Just have a QB who could mange the game was the goal,

so that's why we didn't draft QB's and lets face it no HOF QB without ? marks is going to hit the market, so instead of picking a QB who would have been killed, David Carr, RG3, we waited. So year 3 and the pieces are getting together but we still needed to fix the QB problem. This year unlike the other classes was more QB heave but as for Flynn it comes down to hindsight. it was him or another year with Jackson, who proved that during the big game he was going to more likely cause the big mistake (fumble against the 49ers) than he was going to win the game. remember there is no guarantee Seattle would be able to pick Wilson. People look at the numbers for the contract and say well that looks stupid but what if Jacksonville in the 3rd round had picked Wilson instead of a punter. You really want to have Jackson as your only choice. Also the contract was only two years and he was being paid what amounted to 20th ranked QB salary for starting QB's, it only looks like a lot when compared to back up QB's. We have no way of knowing how good Flynn is or is not because he might be an average to above average player but Wilson blow him away. Also it might just be the fact that Wilson has the it thing, where players, are drawn to him and would be willing to run though a wall for him if he asks. Having met someone like that its an overwhelming feeling of wanting to be apart of there goals and to help them achieve it.

And lastly who was there in FA that they could have picked up that you or anyone else would think hey if given a shot he could be a top 15 QB, and seeing as how that would be enough to contend for a super bowl, we were going for a strong D, and power running back teams like Balt. have been able to win the big dance, example 00's Balt and Tampa bay. That's where we where planing on going and why now people are so excited for this season because Wilson wasn't a top 15 QB, after Week 10 or so he was the best QB in the league.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Wilson was drafted, I (and I'm sure I was hardly alone in this) expected it to be a battle between Flynn and Jackson for the starting spot. Folks were down on Jackson, so when Flynn was added, and despite the fact that he had less experience than Jackson as a starter, pretty much everyone was expecting Flynn to win the job. When Wilson was drafted, there didn't seem to be too many people who expected anything to change. Flynn was the starter.

When we started hearing things about Wilson's work ethic and the respect he'd been getting from his teammates, suddenly Flynn's experience, such as it was, didn't matter as much. When they each performed comparably on the field in the preseason, it started to become clear that Wilson had a real shot at it. Still, there were people who thought Flynn would be named the starter and should have been named the starter. The folks that wanted Wilson starting didn't want it because Flynn "sucked", but because the coaches clearly saw something in Wilson that they didn't see or at least didn't see enough of in Flynn to win the job and the experience that Flynn had and the stats that he had put up previously suddenly didn't matter. I'm sure Flynn would have been a fine quarterback here if anyone else had been drafted, but Wilson was drafted and clearly impressed the coaches more.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feeling with Flynn was simply following the plan, You have to understand Pete had to redo the entire team and that can not be done in one season. (hell it shouldn't even have been three, we just got lucky as hell that most of are draft picks Sherm, etc have played at a high level, credit Gm/Pete) So he spend his time working on D/Olines and building up the entire D. Also PC offense being about pounding the rock meant a RB was more important to finding first. Just have a QB who could mange the game was the goal,

so that's why we didn't draft QB's and lets face it no HOF QB without ? marks is going to hit the market, so instead of picking a QB who would have been killed, David Carr, RG3, we waited. So year 3 and the pieces are getting together but we still needed to fix the QB problem. This year unlike the other classes was more QB heave but as for Flynn it comes down to hindsight. it was him or another year with Jackson, who proved that during the big game he was going to more likely cause the big mistake (fumble against the 49ers) than he was going to win the game. remember there is no guarantee Seattle would be able to pick Wilson. People look at the numbers for the contract and say well that looks stupid but what if Jacksonville in the 3rd round had picked Wilson instead of a punter. You really want to have Jackson as your only choice. Also the contract was only two years and he was being paid what amounted to 20th ranked QB salary for starting QB's, it only looks like a lot when compared to back up QB's. We have no way of knowing how good Flynn is or is not because he might be an average to above average player but Wilson blow him away. Also it might just be the fact that Wilson has the it thing, where players, are drawn to him and would be willing to run though a wall for him if he asks. Having met someone like that its an overwhelming feeling of wanting to be apart of there goals and to help them achieve it.

And lastly who was there in FA that they could have picked up that you or anyone else would think hey if given a shot he could be a top 15 QB, and seeing as how that would be enough to contend for a super bowl, we were going for a strong D, and power running back teams like Balt. have been able to win the big dance, example 00's Balt and Tampa bay. That's where we where planing on going and why now people are so excited for this season because Wilson wasn't a top 15 QB, after Week 10 or so he was the best QB in the league.

Good post. I feel that the Seahawks had to cover them self by signing Flynn because Jackson just wasn't going to cut it as a starter and no one knows how the draft will turn out.

I think that the Seahawks lost out in the draft when they thought they could wait for Andy Dalton until the second round and then the Bengals jumped ahead of them to scoop him up.

With Flynn they could wait to draft Wilson in the third round. I've heard it said that Pete had to talk JS down from picking Wilson in the Second round. That's what happens when you lose out on a guy you want and someone jumps ahead of you.

Any way tha'ts my theory.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys! Firebreathingmonkey well laid out response. Wizardhawk you are correct, it would all be speculation at this point as to what Flynn would have done.

I do know how this media realm works. Flynn's performance in Oakland will some how either show Pete was a genius or what the hell were thinking in the first place signing him. Just have to wait and see what gets more ratings for the hack journalism writers...