• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wasn't good.

there was a decent story in there somwhere, but it got snyder-ized

Don't forget Ben Affleck. Could they have found a less likable Bruce Wayne?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Ben Affleck. Could they have found a less likable Bruce Wayne?
i thought he was okay

the frank miller take on the character was that he was an older, hardened, somewhat sadistic batman

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cage drops tomorrow (tonight), bitches...

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am looking to much into it, but the actor that plays Ghost Rider's brother on Agents of Shield, is also cast in Spiderman:Homecoming.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just started watching. Waiting for him to kick some ass.

Finished it yesterday.

I'd rate the Netflix Marvel seasons like this:

DD season 2
DD season 1
Luke Cage
Jessica "the only good thing about my show was the villain" Jones

I didn't hate Luke Cage or anything, but I did think the writing was pretty lame (not unusual so far for these Netflix shows) and I wasn't a fan of where they left Cottonmouth. I was very interested in his arc and to me he should have been far more significant. Alfre Woodard, Mahershala Ali, and good old Theo Rossi were easily the highlights of season 1 for me. The shoehorned Method Man was a bit too much as well and I don't think his little rap interview added jack shit to this show, it was just stupid. I wasn't swinging off the nuts of the music in the club either. I didn't hate it, but some reviews would suggest it nearly made the show. I would disagree. It was good at times. At other times, meh.

Overall I thought Luke Cage was okay, but I thought they tried really, really, really hard to appeal to a particular demographic and they didn't have to do that. Make the story good, get us caring about the characters, and a whole lot of people will stick with it, including black people, Netflix. I'm hoping Iron Fist is solid and down the line we get some good heroes for hire stuff with Luke and Danny. There's a lot of potential there and I hope they realize that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished it yesterday.

DD season 2
DD season 1
Luke Cage

I didn't hate Luke Cage or anything, but I did think the writing was pretty lame (not unusual so far for these Netflix shows) and I wasn't a fan of where they left Cottonmouth. I was very interested in his arc and to me he should have been far more significant. Alfre Woodard, Mahershala Ali, and good old Theo Rossi were easily the highlights of season 1 for me. The shoehorned Method Man was a bit too much as well and I don't think his little rap interview added jack shit to this show, it was just stupid. I wasn't swinging off the nuts of the music in the club either. I didn't hate it, but some reviews would suggest it nearly made the show. I would disagree. It was good at times. At other times, meh.

Overall I thought Luke Cage was okay, but I thought they tried really, really, really hard to appeal to a particular demographic and they didn't have to do that. Make the story good, get us caring about the characters, and a whole lot of people will stick with it, including black people, Netflix. I'm hoping Iron Fist is solid and down the line we get some good heroes for hire stuff with Luke and Danny. There's a lot of potential there and I hope they realize that.
They certainly went after a demographic, no question. But that is what Luke Cage has always been. To not make the show with that flavor would be disingenuous to the source material. While the music was not "my thing" I liked how it added to the setting. As I said in the other thread, this show was to the 70s what Strange Things was to the 80s.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished it yesterday.

DD season 2
DD season 1
Luke Cage

Interesting. I thought season 2 of daredevil was easily worse than season 1 and only the stupid hot Elektra saved it from being a total trainwreck.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They certainly went after a demographic, no question. But that is what Luke Cage has always been. To not make the show with that flavor would be disingenuous to the source material. While the music was not "my thing" I liked how it added to the setting. As I said in the other thread, this show was to the 70s what Strange Things was to the 80s.

For me, it wasn't just going after a demographic, it was how hard they tried. To me, that was unnecessary. It felt as if they were constantly worried they weren't being black enough for black people. Almost everyone in the show was black. The location was Harlem. The music was performed by black people. It was pretty damn black, yet it felt to me as if they were constantly worried that perhaps it wasn't quite black enough. It was borderline prejudice, but because it was so black-centric, I think it will get a pass and will actually be defended.

Don't get me wrong. Make it black. Just make sure the script doesn't suck, the story makes sense, we give a damn about the characters, etc. Overall, I thought it was pretty average outside of a few characters and their performances, once of which I wasn't super happy with in terms of how/when the arc ended.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I thought season 2 of daredevil was easily worse than season 1 and only the stupid hot Elektra saved it from being a total trainwreck.

Yeah, we're definitely on different ends of the spectrum because I thought Elektra wasn't that great at all. The Daredevil vs. Punisher episodes were probably the best episodes in the Marvel Netflix universe for me. Batman v. Superman should have been a little more like it in my opinion.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it wasn't just going after a demographic, it was how hard they tried. To me, that was unnecessary. It felt as if they were constantly worried they weren't being black enough for black people. Almost everyone in the show was black. The location was Harlem. The music was performed by black people. It was pretty damn black, yet it felt to me as if they were constantly worried that perhaps it wasn't quite black enough. It was borderline prejudice, but because it was so black-centric, I think it will get a pass and will actually be defended.

Don't get me wrong. Make it black. Just make sure the script doesn't suck, the story makes sense, we give a damn about the characters, etc. Overall, I thought it was pretty average outside of a few characters and their performances, once of which I wasn't super happy with in terms of how/when the arc ended.
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But again. That's what Luke Cage is. The comic started in the early 70s and has had a blacksploitation element in it since its inception.

I am not a big fan of the genre either. But I can appreciate that that was what they were going for.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta agree with Carl here. The first half of DD2 was kick-ass with Puny. But once they changed over to Elektra and the Hand, it went all to shit.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we're definitely on different ends of the spectrum because I thought Elektra wasn't that great at all. The Daredevil vs. Punisher episodes were probably the best episodes in the Marvel Netflix universe for me. Batman v. Superman should have been a little more like it in my opinion.

I liked Punisher, but it was really a side piece compared to the ninjas. Which just got super weird and creepy.

Elektra and Punisher really steal the show, but it's not enough when they aren't on center stage.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta agree with Carl here. The first half of DD2 was kick-ass with Puny. But once they changed over to Elektra and the Hand, it went all to shit.

I'll take a full season over a half season every time.

The Hand really suck and ruined it.

Elektra was just stupid hot. lol But the whole rebirth thing just was weird and kinda ruined everything.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the Net-verse ranked as...

DD1
JJ
LC
DD2