• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martin Mayhew

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fuck was the Lions GM when Brady went in the 6th round or when they took a fucking FB James Jones one pick ahead of Dan Marino? Fuck those guys!

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like the team, I see Mayhew getting better at what he's doing. The first three rounds this year had me doing less "What the...?" based on who was taken and the position they are slated to play.

Less gamble, less trying to force the draft, more taking in what is available and making what at the time seems as reasonable draft choices is what I took away from this years draft. If it takes three years for players to get up to speed and drafts to be graded, perhaps it also takes that long for the management team to really hit its stride in what they are doing. One can hope.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fyi ...Greg Little and Mason Foster are terrible. Justin Houston tested positive for weed at the combine.

If we are going to hindsight in anger...we should go back to 2009 when that bum Mayhew took another bum Aaron Brown in the 6th round when he couldve taken Arian Foster despite his 4.68 40 time. How in the heck did he not see that wasn't it obvious?

reading comprehension isn't your strong point i suppose. kreton ASKED for 10 guys who have been more productive than LeShoure and Young after stating if you ranked all the picks in the 2nd and 3rd round of the 2011 draft that they would both rank in the top 10.

here is the direct quote from Kreton, since you seem to have missed it while reading thru the thread.

Name 10 in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that have done more that were on the board when they were drafted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fyi ...Greg Little and Mason Foster are terrible.

I'd say 1400 yards receiving in 2 years with QBs like Colt McCoy and Brandon Weeden throwing you the ball is pretty damn good.

Feel free to explain your Mason Foster is terrible comment. Tampa Bay led the NFL in rushing defense and Mason was their MLB in 2012. He had 105 tackles, including 11 tackles for loss. In comparison -- Stephen Tulloch had 112 tackles, with 6 tackles for loss. So is Tulloch terrible too?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew has done some really good moves....

Sims, Houston, Fleecing Jerry Jones, and staying the coarse and taking Stafford #1 when people were crying for a LB or OT.

With that being said he has dropped the ball repeatedly on draft picks. Neglected the defense to almost laughable levels, and has a real issue with believability.

The latest issue is stating Slay will be ready to compete during rookie camp. He needs his knee scoped. And as that is not a huge procedure it is one that will set Slay back in his ability to compete for a position.

Mayhew would not have gone to the media and stated Slay would be ready if he didn't believe that so I have to think someone in the pecking order dropped the ball. The medical reports were not scrutinized or they just wanted to believe that he was ok. Whatever it is Mayhew as the top man has to be held accountable.

The Lions off the media one explanation and low and behold it's something else. Now we will get the John Carney tap dance that this is no big deal but if you were wrong about the knee needing to be scoped are you wrong about this being no big deal?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew didn't consult Miss Cleo? Fire his fucking ass.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading comprehension isn't your strong point i suppose.

aaaand football comprehension isn't yours little guy.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to explain your Mason Foster is terrible comment. Tampa Bay led the NFL in rushing defense and Mason was their MLB in 2012. He had 105 tackles, including 11 tackles for loss. In comparison -- Stephen Tulloch had 112 tackles, with 6 tackles for loss. So is Tulloch terrible too?

I can name 34 linebackers who had more tackles...and Tampa's defense overall was terrible, they had the worst passing defense in the league, 29th in total defense. Oh and also...since I live in Tampa I watched all the Bucs games. How many games have you seen Mason Foster play? I'm betting 1 more than you've seen Chris Greenwood play.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is humorous to hear you say this:

aaaand football comprehension isn't yours little guy.

And then follow it up with this gem:

I can name 34 linebackers who had more tackles...and Tampa's defense overall was terrible, they had the worst passing defense in the league, 29th in total defense. Oh and also...since I live in Tampa I watched all the Bucs games. How many games have you seen Mason Foster play? I'm betting 1 more than you've seen Chris Greenwood play.

Since you watched all the TB games -- I'd think you would know that TB was #1 in the NFL in rushing defense, giving up only 82 yards a game. They were also #1 in YPC in the NFL at 3.5. Must be nice to have a terrible player like Mason Foster and be #1 against the run in the NFL.

If you want to put up Tampa's stats against the pass -- you may want to look at TB's secondary. Just a stab in the dark though. Blaming Mason Foster for how pathetic TB's pass defense was, would be like blaming Stephen Tulloch for the Lions miserable pass defense.

FYI -- there is a reason why TB signed Dashon Goldson, traded for Darrell Revis and drafted Jonathan Banks. It has nothing to do with Mason Foster. It is because their secondary was HORRIBLE (hence the last place ranking in pass defense and the entire reason they ranked 29th in total defense)

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, I was not a big fan of the Young pick. I thought the Boise St guys were overrated. Honestly, I think Pettis might have a shot with a team because of his hands, but he is slow and cant stay healthy.

If Young had his head on straight he would be a starter for a team somewhere, but I don't see him ever being close to a number 1 WR.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9. Stefen Wisniewski -- OG Oakland, been starter since Day 1 in Oakland

I know we cant go back and look up posts on CBS, but this was the guy I was after to replace Ravioli with that pick.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a combine junkie and Titus was the best looking WR there that year. I remember thinking the Patriots would draft him to eventually replace Welker, and jumped out of my seat when the Lions drafted him. Oh well.

I think Mason Foster is being moved to OLB this year...I read that somewhere.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mason Foster is being moved to OLB this year...I read that somewhere.

I read the same thing too -- they are talking about moving him to strongside LB to replace Quincy Black.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason Foster = Deandre Levy IMO. if one sucks then so must the other, which I don't think is the case with either player

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Both are above average, but not star talents. Both will rack up their fare share of tackles, but they both have holes in their games as well...

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've gone on the record praising Mayhew for his 2013 draft. I gave it a B+ and am excited to see if I'm right. Obviously time will tell. But I think Mayhew is going to need more than just the 2013 class to pan out.

Mayhew needs either Reiff, Broyles or Bentley to do something this year to salvage what I considered to be just a horrible draft by Mayhew last year. And no one that he got in rounds 4-7 will ever contribute more than on special teams, if even that. 2012 was just a horrible, awful draft.

Mayhew also needs BOTH Fairley and Leshoure to make significant impacts this year in order to salvage anything out of the 2011 draft, which has simply become a joke due to all the arrests. I heard the local police have assigned a squad car to follow Doug Hogue around as they anticipate that it's only a matter of time! :)

After the recent draft my hopes are slightly more optimistic, and my view of Mayhew has slightly improved. However, I am going to need to see much production out of Fairley & Leshoure this year before I will forgive him for the 2011 draft. And I need to see something, anything, out of Reiff, Broyles or Bentley. Because right now that 2012 draft looks like the worst draft I've ever seen!!!!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason Foster = Deandre Levy IMO. if one sucks then so must the other, which I don't think is the case with either player

Agreed. Both are above average, but not star talents. Both will rack up their fare share of tackles, but they both have holes in their games as well...

Please explain to me how DeAndre Levy is above average. What part of Levy's game do you consider above average? I'd have a hard time calling any part of Levy's game above average, let alone, saying he is above average as a whole.

In no way am I saying Mason Foster is anything special, but one thing Foster did from year 1 to year 2 was cut down significantly on missed tackles. Foster struggled with missed tackles his rookie year with 10. Levy AVERAGED 12 missed tackles his 1st 3 years in the league (only 2 LBs missed more tackles and it was 1 more than Levy had).

As you can tell -- DeAndre Levy is one of my least favorite players on the Lions defense. I would have liked to see the Lions get rid of both Levy and Durant, but as we all agreed on -- every starter isn't going to be an impact player and Levy fills the role of a cheap starting LB.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at levy above average. He is one of the WORST linebackers in the league. geesh.